Assault on Kiev: Russian helicopters swoop above Ukraine's capital

Chris.B

I think it is the beginning of the end for Putin.

Russia will occupy Ukraine within another week, although there will be significant pockets of resistance in the West (Putin will not want to press hard too close to the Polish border).

However, Ukraine nationalists will continue a covert guerilla war for years to come encouraged and supplied by NATO countries. This will will be another drain on Russian resources.

Russia will need to take concrete steps to appease a 'defeated' Ukraine by pledging to rebuild all the infrastructure they have destroyed. Off course Russia won't be able to afford this and will blame Western sanctions.

Putin will say it is the Western World's fault that Ukraine cannot be rebuilt. He will negotiate for a lifting of sanctions in return for concessions in rebuilding Ukraine.

Either way, Putin has overplayed his hand and a power struggle in Russia will intensify. One day, within the next 2 years, we will wake up to read about a putsch in Russia and that Putin has been arrested.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

It might be interesting to see a poll asking if people think its time for Nato to get directly involved with air support. Yes of course that would make a world war official. But otherwise sit and watch the slaughter as if its a reality tv show?

Everyone knows Polls can be fixed,  Can't see the Nato countries wanting to hold a referendum on the issue as it ties their hands depending on the outcome of the vote

A company I used to work for has an office in Lviv and I am still in touch with about a dozen former colleagues there. Two major customers of my current employer also have engineering offices in Lviv. For all practical purposes all three of those offices are currently shut down. I've been given the following URLs by friends from Lviv that some people may share some interest in:

How you can help

Raising funds

I can only reach the second link using a VPN.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

It might be interesting to see a poll asking if people think its time for Nato to get directly involved with air support. Yes of course that would make a world war official. But otherwise sit and watch the slaughter as if its a reality tv show?

Do you not yet understand it IS a reality tv show? With fake scenes to carry the plot where deemed "permissible?

Humanity has become so detached  from real real that the obliteration of people evokes not much even if graphically  displayed in HD closeup ( payer channels only ...Sign in or subscribe  here..http .......

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, TorquayFan said:

Chris B - no need for that - I'm not 'pronouncing' I'm posting - it's a Forum btw.

You are obviously caught up in the inspiring heroics in Ukraine and so am I. But the reality is that continuance involves massive destruction and bloodshed. After that, Russia will still be there.

NATO have rightly (IMO) decided that the risk of provoking a nuclear bounce is all too real and have drawn the line. So we are left with sanctions to break Putin's hold on Russia and with the hope that he is deposed one way or another, VERY soon.

I am sad about all this - aren't you ?

Weird with what's going on here sometimes, some here posting  seem to get very emotional over something they can do nothing about. 

It's a sad thing that is going on in Ukraine and lots of lip service and sanctions but it's not stopping anything. 

2 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

I think it is the beginning of the end for Putin.

Russia will occupy Ukraine within another week, although there will be significant pockets of resistance in the West (Putin will not want to press hard too close to the Polish border).

However, Ukraine nationalists will continue a covert guerilla war for years to come encouraged and supplied by NATO countries. This will will be another drain on Russian resources.

Russia will need to take concrete steps to appease a 'defeated' Ukraine by pledging to rebuild all the infrastructure they have destroyed. Off course Russia won't be able to afford this and will blame Western sanctions.

Putin will say it is the Western World's fault that Ukraine cannot be rebuilt. He will negotiate for a lifting of sanctions in return for concessions in rebuilding Ukraine.

Either way, Putin has overplayed his hand and a power struggle in Russia will intensify. One day, within the next 2 years, we will wake up to read about a putsch in Russia and that Putin has been arrested.

It's just the beginning of a new Cold War it didn't bother Russia then and nothing will bother them now. 

They still have China,  UAE,  Indian and some other support so they don't care. 

I see the only way of change will be through the population of Russia wanting change.

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 1

Just been watch a live statement by Ukraines Prime Minister on the BBC. He confirmed that weapons and equipment from all corners of the world were reaching Ukraine daily and thanked everyone for the continued support, unfortunately the interpreter who was doing the voice over was getting very emotional, so much of the statement was left without translation other than a few snippets more. 

To confirm some of the above the President also spoke with Boris today:

Zelensky has also spoken to UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson this morning - he thanked Johnson for ensuring that defensive aid reached Ukraine and said it had been vital in holding back Russian forces, according to a British readout of the call.

Both leaders agreed on the need for sanctions to go further to exert maximum pressure on Vladimir Putin.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-60582327

The world needs to send as much aid, both humanitarian and military, its getting through and helping.

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 2

Kwazaki - "some here posting  seem to get very emotional over something they can do nothing about". 

Thinking about it, there's not much anyone can do outside their own front door and circles. However, it's not wrong to be sad seeing a democratic independent Nation torn apart and thousands of people die. Or watch millions dislodged from their lives. Of course, we don't know the end outcome but surely it's OK to try and take a realistic view of what that might be. And in the meantime, better not to get 'gung ho' at the heroism, which has nowhere to go, (but I will be the first to rejoice if I am wrong).

Must memorise this - 'if I can do nothing about it I don't have to care because K said so'. Nonsense.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

Reality is Putin is not insane,he is a straight shooter.

In the west we shoot around corners.

The brainwashing of democracy by the west does not fit all walks of life and never will.  

Straight to nuclear winter the way he's talking.

19 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

After the Iraq invasion of 2003, there were literally hundreds of thousands of weapons on the streets. Although some US soldiers were killed in the insurgency, overall, it didn’t make much of a difference.

Putin would accept a few thousand dead Russians every year to maintain control of Ukraine.

Worse, once Russia controls Kyiv, they have the means to really clamp down on resistance. If you don’t agree, explain Chechniya being so peaceful today.

Bloodbath between civilians if army block city for long, lack of food, water and medicine. People would just shot each other for a piece of bread until ammo runs out.

Edited by TacoKhun
  • Sad 1

BKK - yes I saw that. Bravo - but for me, it's hard to believe that next week, the same will be possible. I wonder how weaponry is getting in even now ? Or is it a bluff ? Perhaps aircraft are landing in eastern Ukraine ?

An odd Yahoo item that the Russian air force is notably absent in the front line. We saw pics of one crashed fighter - are the Russkies rattled ? Have our Heroes got lots of those ground to air missiles ? I hope so.

If we can sanction Russia till the pips squeak - good. Announce a minimum 5 year term for all sanctions NOW. Just a thought. I'm only posting . . . .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, TorquayFan said:

Kwazaki - "some here posting  seem to get very emotional over something they can do nothing about". 

Must memorise this - 'if I can do nothing about it I don't have to care because K said so'. Nonsense.

Bahaha 

44 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

Reality is Putin is not insane,he is a straight shooter.

In the west we shoot around corners.

The brainwashing of democracy by the west does not fit all walks of life and never will.  

On internet (e.g. Youtube) - unless not already deleted - there are hundreds Putin's speeches and interviews, 4 hours Q&A, Oliver Stone's Interviews, most of them with E translation. 

Everybody has the chance to listen and try to find a lie or a wrong interpretation. And any foreign journos is allowed to ask questions straight away without being forced for an advanced registration. Some panel forums are moderated - and the questions asked  - by a US renowned anchor person.

And the questions are often very uncomfortable when given by BBC, CNN, etc.  However, the answers are hardly any empty phrases as we are daily hearing/reading from other politicians.  Then, after listening and understanding, whether somebody still can classify the answering person as insane - or any other names we are here reading?

(However, they are not yet much developed, they do not know what is a teleprompter ????)   

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

How about when he said he wasn't planning to attack Ukraine? They were only conducting exercises. Was he telling the truth then?

He have always said he would protect russians for any price. He also have said Ukraine never existed as a country. 

Have followed  Russia today and Russia insight press conferences which have English subtitles and he have been very clear of the consequences if the west moved further east.

Every critical comments have been effectively removed from those channels. Only praises of Putin is left.

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Tweet by Gabriel Gatehouse International Editor, BBC Newsnight. & @novaya_gazeta

When I saw this yesterday I refused to believe it was real. But now confirmed by (Nobel Prize-winning) @novaya_gazeta

: primary school children arrested by police in Moscow for laying flowers at Ukrainian embassy holding signs saying “No To War”.

FMzAb7bXMAI0R-h.jpg.1666094cfa9361aab16251e5dfdda1d7.jpgFMzAb7aXoAMzUsU.jpg.cfdedd233b011bfd65865122c13d41ab.jpgFMzAb7XXMAQYjqy.jpg.c22a0ce8494b8f3faa6b9911f0917944.jpg

The regime is stooping to new low depths. Expect them to stoop a lot lower still…..

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

50 minutes ago, Hummin said:

He have always said he would protect russians for any price. He also have said Ukraine never existed as a country. 

Have followed  Russia today and Russia insight press conferences which have English subtitles and he have been very clear of the consequences if the west moved further east.

Every critical comments have been effectively removed from those channels. Only praises of Putin is left.

So the ads last longer?

30 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

That's just spin. The Russians in Ukraine weren't threatened and if they felt they were they could just go to Russia. All those women and children dead because he wants to protect Russians "at any cost". Pure bull propaganda.

Propaganda yes, I'm aware of that, and if you have followed Putin he refer to genocide against Russians as well as reasons for invasion. 

4 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Propaganda yes, I'm aware of that, and if you have followed Putin he refer to genocide against Russians as well as reasons for invasion. 

His reason for that is it will keep him out of the war crimes criminal court for 20-30 years.