Assault on Kiev: Russian helicopters swoop above Ukraine's capital

Chris.B

1 hour ago, Chris.B said:

...and China is rapidly building a second. :clap2:

They are welcome to build as many targets as they want, as no one is threatening them at present. Aircraft carriers are the new Capital ships when it comes to projecting power during peace time, as the Americans learned long ago.

During a war they just become a very large target. Missiles have changed warfare significantly, as the Exocet proved against the British navy in the Falklands.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Virt said:

Maybe Russia can sell it to Thailand as a submarine...

Besides that, it's incredible if it were really two Ukrainian Neptune missiles that caused the fire/explosion.

I saw some videos a while back of what kind of defense and attack systems that ship has, and it's amazing if one or two Neptune managed to bypass those defense systems.

Neptune missiles that are based on older Russian missiles.

A bit ironic.

It's going to be one sad may 9 parade for the Russian fleet......

A huge prestige loss for Russia

Two possibilities:

The defense systems on the ship weren't as good as advertised.

The people operating the defense systems were incompetent.

Of course both could be correct.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

They are welcome to build as many targets as they want, as no one is threatening them at present. Aircraft carriers are the new Capital ships when it comes to projecting power during peace time, as the Americans learned long ago.

During a war they just become a very large target. Missiles have changed warfare significantly, as the Exocet proved against the British navy in the Falklands.

:cheesy::cheesy: Haha, You are quoting a military engagement from 40 years ago in support of your theories. I think you know little about military/naval matters.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Given advanced anti ship missile systems entire surface navies may have become obsolete. A patrol boat armed with one may be able to sink anything afloat.

I'm sure the British will be observing with great interest given they have spent so much to build 2 floating targets.

It seems unlikely that the British have any interest in your strawman arguments.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, tgw said:

nope, S-400 is a Russian SAM system.

allegedly very performant.

this keeps being repeated over and over, so I begin to have doubts about that system being so effective.

Yeah you correct, same what i think is delivered to Turkey. Our General was here in finland  making only joke about it. Anyway who never want to attck in Russia? What get from there? Vodka and bad dance!

Edited by 2 is 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, 2 is 1 said:

Yeah you correct, same what i think is delivered to Turkey. Our General was here in finland  making only joke about it. Anyway who never want to attck in Russia? What get from there? Vodka and bad dance!

More Chelsea fans with too much time on their hands. 

Edited by nauseus
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 2 is 1 said:

seeing that video, I am now worried about sunflower seed supply for the gopniks.

• Haha 1

Russia's latest attempt at humour:

Russia opens criminal cases into alleged torture of its soldiers by Ukraine

“Russians were subjected to physical violence and torture in order to force them to give false explanations about the actual conditions of their illegal detention on the premises of the Security Service of Ukraine, as well as on (Russia’s) special military operation,” it said in a statement.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/4/13/russian-attacks-on-ukraines-kharkiv-escalating-mayor-says-liveblog

????

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Damaged Russian warship is afloat, Pentagon says, amid conflicting reports from Ukraine and Russia

“This is their flagship, the ‘Moscow,’ and they’ve now been forced to admit that it’s been badly damaged,” Sullivan continued. “And they’ve had to kind of choose between two stories. One story is that it was just incompetence, and the other is that they came under attack. And neither is a particularly good outcome for them.”

https://edition.cnn.com/europe/live-news/ukraine-russia-putin-news-04-14-22/index.html

Although these news caused me slight disappointment, I think there is a third possible cause for the fire: sabotage. that would be worse than incompetence or act of war.

Edited by tgw
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, tgw said:

Russia's latest attempt at humour:

Russia opens criminal cases into alleged torture of its soldiers by Ukraine

“Russians were subjected to physical violence and torture in order to force them to give false explanations about the actual conditions of their illegal detention on the premises of the Security Service of Ukraine, as well as on (Russia’s) special military operation,” it said in a statement.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/4/13/russian-attacks-on-ukraines-kharkiv-escalating-mayor-says-liveblog

????

Wait, so Russia carried out an illegal attack on a sovereign country, raped women and children before executing them, killed 1,000's of other civilians, flattened infrastructure including over 100 or so hospitals and health facilities, left active crime scenes in their path and now...............

I find it just a little ironic, they are opening a criminal case because their soldiers were allegedly forced to give false explanations about the "Special Operation" in the real world unprovoked attack which also happens to be illegal.

Just one more example of the victims who lost their lives to the barbarian non human scum

There were those who refused to believe the story about Karina, who was raped and then shot to death by Russian soldiers in Bucha. The Telegraph has attended her funeral and interviewed her mother, putting all Russian lies to rest.

The family moved from the Donbas to Irpin in 2014 to escape Russian aggression. Photos of Karina’s body shows that she has defensive wounds from trying to protect herself, but also show that she was tortured before her death. Source: The Telegraph

“We hate them. We’re from the Donetsk region where almost all people speak Russian, but I hate the Russians because they killed a Russian-speaking girl. Now, I’m ashamed to speak Russian because I hate the Russian world.   The Russian soldiers aren’t humans. They are animals”.

Paywall

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2022/04/13/stopped-wife-opening-mutilated-daughters-coffin-protect-even/

Also in the Daily Mail

Tortured Ukrainian woman, 23, who was 'raped and shot in the head' by Putin's soldiers had 'tears and wounds' all over with most fingernails missing 'like she had been trying to fight', her devastated Russian-speaking parents reveal. 

Karina Yershova's body was found mutilated after she had been tortured, with her nails, apart from one, being torn from her fingers.

Karina was allegedly raped, shot in the back of the head, and dumped by Russian soldiers in a backyard in the town of Bucha, where more than 400 bodies were found after Russian forces withdrew earlier this month. 'She was shot at point blank range. Almost half of her head was missing,' Andrii said.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10718279/Tortured-Ukrainian-woman-23-raped-shot-Putins-soldiers-tears-wounds.html

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Wait, so Russia carried out an illegal attack on a sovereign country, raped women and children before executing them, killed 1,000's of other civilians, flattened infrastructure including over 100 or so hospitals and health facilities, left active crime scenes in their path and now...............

I find it just a little ironic, they are opening a criminal case because their soldiers were allegedly forced to give false explanations about the "Special Operation" in the real world unprovoked attack which also happens to be illegal.

I particularly noted the Russians take exception in the "illegal detention" of their soldiers orcs by Ukrainian security services.

It can't get much more ridiculous than that.

Edited by tgw
  • Like 2