Assault on Kiev: Russian helicopters swoop above Ukraine's capital

Chris.B

1 hour ago, tgw said:

very good news if true !

about the other story about 20.000 Ruzzian soldiers stranded near Kherson and their commanders fleeing, I wouldn't take it at face value, since it could be part of a plan to make these soldiers panic, a sort of self-fulfilling news story.

It’s a little like Rudolf Hess flying to Scotland in 1941 to hold peace talks with the British government. Hope it won’t last as long this time, though, since there were four more years of war after Hess’s attempt. 

3 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

EXCLUSIVE: Vladimir Putin's 'panic-stricken' officials in secret bid to end bloody war in Ukraine

A highly placed Kremlin official has secretly approached the West to help end the Ukraine invasion, it was claimed last night. 

The secret member of Vladimir Putin ’s elite is said to have revealed the Kremlin is in panic and desperate for the bloody war to end.

Astonishing claims about the move were made in a report circulated to Western intelligence agencies.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/vladimir-putins-panic-stricken-officials-27738405

I'd give this report more credence if it wasn't appearing only in the mirror, the sun, and metro. I hope it's so, but it seems too good to be true.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, placeholder said:

I'd give this report more credence if it wasn't appearing only in the mirror, the sun, and metro. I hope it's so, but it seems too good to be true.

Agreed tabloids can be suspect but there is always hope

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

A Russian war correspondent posted pictures online of his visit to the HQ of the Wagner Group in Popasna (Luhansk). Not a very smart move, because one picture showed the address of the nearest bomb shelter. The Ukrainian army fired off a couple of HIMARS, which destroyed the Wagner HQ and presumably about 100 mercenaries were killed.
Wagner boss and one of Putin’s best friends Yevgeny Prigozhin was also visible in one of the photos, but it’s not clear if he was at the base at the time of the attack. 

https://www.newsweek.com/ukraine-himars-wagner-group-hq-russia-report-1733531

One of the comments at the footer of that article.....lol

"Hey Vlad, better give Kim Jong a call and rethink that offer of 100,000 North Korean soldiers. Sounds like you're gonna need them soon lol"

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

One of the comments at the footer of that article.....lol

"Hey Vlad, better give Kim Jong a call and rethink that offer of 100,000 North Korean soldiers. Sounds like you're gonna need them soon lol"

More lies from the Kremlin said a fire caused an ammunition depot to explode. Now there claiming it was sabotage. It's more likely like what BBC News say's could have been targeted by a long Range precision Missile or Ukrainian special forces. Remember when the Moskva was hit by two ship-to-shore missiles Russia qu

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BarraMarra said:

More lies from the Kremlin said a fire caused an ammunition depot to explode. Now there claiming it was sabotage. It's more likely like what BBC News say's could have been targeted by a long Range precision Missile or Ukrainian special forces. Remember when the Moskva was hit by two ship-to-shore missiles Russia qu

I don't think Ukraine has any missiles with a long enough range. Anyway, now they're claiming that Ukrainian special forces were responsible.

Russia blames ‘sabotage’ as Ukraine special forces strike again in Crimea

Ukrainian special forces struck deep inside the Russian-occupied Crimean Peninsula for the second time in less than a week on Tuesday, blowing up an ammunition depot and also possibly an air force base, according to Russian media and Ukrainian government officials.

Are you on Telegram? Subscribe to our channel for the latest updates on Russia's war in Ukraine.
The Russian Defense Ministry and local media reported a huge explosion at an ammunition storage warehouse in the Dzhankoi area of the Crimean Peninsula, which has been occupied by Russia since 2014 and had been considered safe from Ukrainian attack because it is too far from the front lines to be hit by Ukraine’s most advanced conventional weapons...

A senior Ukrainian government official, speaking on the condition of anonymity to discuss a sensitive matter, said the explosion was the work of Ukrainian special forces — the same force believed responsible for a powerful attack against a Russian air base in western Crimea last week that signaled a growing role for covert operations in Ukraine’s efforts to battle the Russian invasion.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/08/16/crimea-depot-explosion-ukraine-russia-dzhankoi/

2 hours ago, placeholder said:

I don't think Ukraine has any missiles with a long enough range. Anyway, now they're claiming that Ukrainian special forces were responsible.

Russia blames ‘sabotage’ as Ukraine special forces strike again in Crimea

Ukrainian special forces struck deep inside the Russian-occupied Crimean Peninsula for the second time in less than a week on Tuesday, blowing up an ammunition depot and also possibly an air force base, according to Russian media and Ukrainian government officials.

Are you on Telegram? Subscribe to our channel for the latest updates on Russia's war in Ukraine.
The Russian Defense Ministry and local media reported a huge explosion at an ammunition storage warehouse in the Dzhankoi area of the Crimean Peninsula, which has been occupied by Russia since 2014 and had been considered safe from Ukrainian attack because it is too far from the front lines to be hit by Ukraine’s most advanced conventional weapons...

A senior Ukrainian government official, speaking on the condition of anonymity to discuss a sensitive matter, said the explosion was the work of Ukrainian special forces — the same force believed responsible for a powerful attack against a Russian air base in western Crimea last week that signaled a growing role for covert operations in Ukraine’s efforts to battle the Russian invasion.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/08/16/crimea-depot-explosion-ukraine-russia-dzhankoi/

Commandos, partisans, disgruntled Russian soldiers eager for their country to hurry up and lose so they can go home.....

Whoever it is, keep up the good work!

• Like 2

Ukraine war: Thousands of Jews quit Russia amid fears of persecution

Russia is facing the mass migration abroad of large numbers of its Jewish population, with at least one in eight leaving the country since its war with Ukraine began.

The Jewish Agency helps Jews around the world move to Israel. It says an astonishing 20,500 of Russia's estimated total of 165,000 Jews have gone since March.

Thousands more have moved to other countries.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-62564122

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

Russian tank hits a mine and turns into a clown car. Jeez, how many guys were in that thing? They’re very lucky to escape with their lives, although they probably won’t hear too well for a while, after enduring a blast like that in a small confined space.

It's easy to count the number of soldiers who evacuated the tank but I think there were nine. Does a tank usually have that big a crew? Were they picking up hitchhikers?

1 hour ago, rudi49jr said:

Russian tank hits a mine and turns into a clown car. Jeez, how many guys were in that thing? They’re very lucky to escape with their lives, although they probably won’t hear too well for a while, after enduring a blast like that in a small confined space.

Most modern tanks crews have well-insulated noise cancelling headsets so they can fire the gun and communicate at the same time, so maybe not that bad. Most modern Russian tanks only have a crew of three, the gun is autoload. Russian autoloaders have the ammo carousel under the turret hence the jack-in-the-box effect. Nato tanks have a fourth crew for loading and the ammo is located elsewhere in a blast-proof magazine.

Edited by LosLobo

2 hours ago, LosLobo said:

Most modern tanks crews have well-insulated noise cancelling headsets so they can fire the gun and communicate at the same time, so maybe not that bad. Most modern Russian tanks only have a crew of three, the gun is autoload. Russian autoloaders have the ammo carousel under the turret hence the jack-in-the-box effect. Nato tanks have a fourth crew for loading and the ammo is located elsewhere in a blast-proof magazine.

doesn't look like a tank.

looks more like an IFV or an amphibious troop transporter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, tgw said:

doesn't look like a tank.

looks more like an IFV or an amphibious troop transporter.

Yeah, think you are correct. I was mainly relying on the other comments and the title. But taking a close look, it hasn't even got a gun.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rudi49jr said:

I doubt that is a tank. Do you see a turret with a big gun barrel? I don't. IMO far more likely to be an infantry fighting vehicle of the BMP class. The soldiers were not inside the vehicle and were sitting on the top, which is how soldiers have traveled on armoured vehicles for almost as long as armoured vehicles have existed.

If that many soldiers were "inside" the vehicle, it'd be a APC and definitely not a tank.

Can't have been a very large mine as the vehicle is apparently still intact afterwards. Of course there is no way of telling what happened to the crew from such a short VDO.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I doubt that is a tank. Do you see a turret with a big gun barrel? I don't. IMO far more likely to be an infantry fighting vehicle of the BMP class. The soldiers were not inside the vehicle and were sitting on the top, which is how soldiers have traveled on armoured vehicles for almost as long as armoured vehicles have existed.

If that many soldiers were "inside" the vehicle, it'd be a APC and definitely not a tank.

Can't have been a very large mine as the vehicle is apparently still intact afterwards. Of course there is no way of telling what happened to the crew from such a short VDO.

Modern armoured vehicle design can include a V-shape hull to redirect the force of the mine blast and added internal appliqué armour to prevent spalling and protect the crew and passengers. So mines and IED's can have a tough time penetrating the hull but can still disable the vehicle by damaging tracks and wheels.

In other news Russia has delivered Avangard Hypersonic missiles to an Airbase in Kaliningrad today they have used these before with devastating effect so don't be surprised if they use them for Ukrainian success against the Airbase and Munition depots destroyed by them.