Assault on Kiev: Russian helicopters swoop above Ukraine's capital

Chris.B

Now we can understand why Bakhmut is so important for them and why Wagners boss Yevgeny Prigozhin has his ex convict terrorists there. Its all about the money to be made.

Putin ally fighting to control salt and gypsum mines near Ukraine city of Bakhmut, says US

A close ally of the Russian president, Vladimir Putin, is interested in taking control of salt and gypsum from mines near the Ukrainian city of Bakhmut, according to a White House official.

Yevgeny Prigozhin is the founder of Russia’s most powerful mercenary force, the Wagner Group. Wagner has played a key role in the Russian offensive against Bakhmut.

There were indications that monetary motives were driving Russia’s and Prigozhin’s “obsession” with Bakhmut, the US official said.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jan/06/putin-ally-fighting-to-control-salt-and-gypsum-mines-near-ukraine-city-of-bakhmut-says-us

• Like 2

The Biden administration on Friday announced its largest drawdown yet in US military assistance to Ukraine, but there are lurking concerns that Republicans wielding newfound power in Washington could stand in the way of future aid – especially as chaos brews in the House.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Black Ops said:

The Biden administration on Friday announced its largest drawdown yet in US military assistance to Ukraine, but there are lurking concerns that Republicans wielding newfound power in Washington could stand in the way of future aid – especially as chaos brews in the House.

I've seen nothing to suggest that the GOP will block all aid to Ukraine, but I do assume they won't be signing any blank cheques.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I've seen nothing to suggest that the GOP will block all aid to Ukraine, but I do assume they won't be signing any blank cheques.

Biden planned ahead. 

The Ukraine Democracy Defense Lend-Lease Act of 2022 is an act of the United States Congress that facilitates the supply of materiel to the Ukrainian government in a manner similar to the World War II Lend-Lease Act in response to the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

• Like 2

Off topic deflection posts have been removed, please do not try to hijack the topic which i about what is happening on a daily basis regarding the illegal occupation of Ukraine

On 1/6/2023 at 1:28 PM, bannork said:

Lots of forced smiles and compulsory clapping amongst these Russians celebrating New Year.

It's very revealing to watch this video and see who was doing the same show in 2013 in Russia (before Putin stole Crimea) and to to see the usual fun (not war propaganda) tone of it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yes but the right wing in the U.S. has now been hijacked in the house by the most insanely RADICAL wing of that party. Which means it's definite that there will be more opposition to giving Ukraine the military help it really needs -- enough to WIN this war ASAP as time is on Putin's side. 

Why?

They don't really have coherent foreign policy but they mirror the Putin's poodle attitude of the leader of their party, Florida man Trump. 

They are very ISOLATIONIST, which is very much about domestic policy, similarly to the American fascists also using the "America First" slogan leading up to WW2,

You'll hear a lot of garbage from them saying what happens in Ukraine doesn't matter to Americans.

Europe etc. must continue to step it up, because support from the U.S. is likely to weaken.

I disagree although with McCarthy beeing controlled by the worst of the maga bunch I’m sure there will be lots of bumps in the road and it’s pure bs that Putin killed 600 Ukrainians with a missile strike 

• Like 1

Olaf Scholz under pressure to release Leopard II tanks to Ukraine after Poland and Finland pledge

German manufactured tank is one of most feared in the world and would give Ukraine an edge against Russia’s T-72 tanks

Pressure is building on Germany to release Leopard II tanks to Ukraine after Finland and Poland pledged to send Europe’s most fearsome tank to fight the Russian army.

Germany manufactures Leopard II tanks and also holds the export licence for them, meaning Berlin must approve any shipment of the tanks to Ukraine or elsewhere.

After both the Finnish and Polish governments signalled their desire to send Leopard II vehicles to Ukraine, Lars Klingbeil, a German MP and part of the ruling coalition, said the government wouldn’t be bounced into a deal and that no countries “were yet delivering heavy battle tanks” to Ukraine.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2023 at 12:10 PM, ExpatOilWorker said:

Biden planned ahead. 

The Ukraine Democracy Defense Lend-Lease Act of 2022 is an act of the United States Congress that facilitates the supply of materiel to the Ukrainian government in a manner similar to the World War II Lend-Lease Act in response to the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

The British had to pay back the "loan", but I've seen nothing to say the Ukrainians will have to do so. Tell me if they do.