Are we better off ignoring the news for our own peace of mind?

webfact

It is in a persons interest to follow the news since although it may be that events far away are not now touching us here , it could well be that the various repercussions will have an impact on us in the not too distant future. Think travel arrangements and exchange rates etc.

Therefore , forearmed is forewarned.  Look at the present to plan for the future.

Most importantly  .....................  stock up on booze and nibbles.

If I were a Ukrainian citizen , I would at the very least had my car topped up with petrol weeks ago and a one week supply of emergency food in the house.

45 minutes ago, webfact said:

On my mobile breaking news is sent almost before it happens and add You Tube, and Facebook and we can stay update with news and of course rumours and the dreaded fake news.

Its not the TV that is a problem, the internet is the source for more fake news than ever before in history

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ignoring reality doesn't make it go away. There is a term for it, living in a fools paradise.   The problem is sifting the real from the fake and making up your own mind, not easy in these days of the evil that is social media and news outlets that are biased and feeding their own egos and agendas . But being informed is to have some power over your own life, albeit it very small. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, STALINGRAD said:

To the quote earlier “Why should they , they haven’t done anything” Are people not a reflection of the customs and culture of the nation they live? Are their sons and daughters not the very soldiers that perform the aggression? The Russian people have been inured to a hopeless fate since before the Bolshevik revolution. By not standing up to their leaders they enable this behavior. Cubans fled Castro and complain for another to change their country while playing dominos in Miami. Russians mumble while their leader poisons,enables Assad,blackmails Europe.They are all cowards.

Not true. Russians living in Pattaya are individuals like you.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

'A little embarrassed'? That's a bit lame isn't it?  I hope that they are feeling totally disgusted and angry with their thugs in power.  

? Perhaps they are but I'm not going to get in a discussion with them about how they really feel while waiting to pick up our kids from a school that has over 40 nationalities in it including Ukraine.

55 minutes ago, STALINGRAD said:

To the quote earlier “Why should they , they haven’t done anything” Are people not a reflection of the customs and culture of the nation they live? Are their sons and daughters not the very soldiers that perform the aggression? The Russian people have been inured to a hopeless fate since before the Bolshevik revolution. By not standing up to their leaders they enable this behavior. Cubans fled Castro and complain for another to change their country while playing dominos in Miami. Russians mumble while their leader poisons,enables Assad,blackmails Europe.They are all cowards.

They live under a regime of terror.

As they did under the Soviets.

As they did under the Czars.

As they have ever since Russia acquired its unspoken rules of governance, 100's of years ago, under "The Mongol Yoke".

Generally speaking the unspoken rules of governance of the West have a different origin.........and have had a very different outcome.

You would also be a "coward" had you lived any part of Russian history, or the history of China..........or Thailand.

Edited by Enoon

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Why should they, they haven't done anything.

Tell that to the Asians in the US, they are being blamed for covid as if they worked in the Wuhan lab.

56 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

? Perhaps they are but I'm not going to get in a discussion with them about how they really feel while waiting to pick up our kids from a school that has over 40 nationalities in it including Ukraine.

But you did get into a discussion with them.  And not just one, but a few.

• Like 1