Thailand Calls For Diplomatic Solutions to Russia-Ukraine Crisis

snoop1130

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Dissent from within?

A few Russian politicians has started to talk openly about Russia should stop the ongoing invasion.

Just a few of the 450 in the duma, but it's a start.

Hopefully it spreads fast.

I'm not a fan of gory war pictures, but if pictures of all the dead Russian soldiers would be spread within Russia, it too could turn some votes.

Stumbled upon several on Twitter and it's not a pleasant sight, so i can imagine Russians would think twice about supporting the war, if they saw the results from this "peacekeeping military action"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, garyk said:

The Permanent Representative of Thailand to the United Nations has expressed support for a diplomatic solution regarding the Russia-Ukraine crisis.

Me too, I have about as much influence as these guys, which is none!

And same as Colombia --

Colombian citizens stranded in eastern Europe
Some 60 Colombian citizens who live in Ukraine reportedly urged the Foreign Ministry for support.

Colombia’s President Ivan Duque condemned an invasion of Ukraine by Russian armed forces on Thursday.

The president published the condemnation on Twitter hours after Russian President Vladimir Putin announced the military offensive in Eastern Europe.

https://colombiareports.com/colombia-condemns-russias-invasion-of-ukraine/

• Like 1

14 hours ago, unblocktheplanet said:

When America invades, it's all gung ho, boys. Yes, Russia's showing the same side of arrogant bully but the US can't call the kettle black, ha.

Well, there is a worldwide coalition building against Putin, and they are mighty in numbers. The problem is they are all on Twitter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, unblocktheplanet said:

When America invades, it's all gung ho, boys. Yes, Russia's showing the same side of arrogant bully but the US can't call the kettle black, ha.

If US sanctions force Russia's financial hand, they may have to resort to the BRICS countries financial consortium. That could mean the US dollar is no longer universal currency in greatly populated nations with enormous economies. The US plan could have unexpected & dire consequences.

I think what's potentially much more serious is the renewed closeness of Russia and China. That's the sort of power coalition that suggests a potential new world war.

But it is a ray of hope that there are signs that China thinks Putin went too far.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Maybe you would prefer that they remove all Russians......

No. Russians can stay and try to spend their Rubles, preferably their USD and Euros. Some currency exchanges are no longer accepting rubles.

Many Russians don't support Putin's actions in Ukraine. If the news media in Russia would tell the truth about the invasion, I doubt Putin would have 50% support for the invasion.

There is a very high possibility that Russian credit cards will stop working in Thailand on Monday or Tuesday.

Edited by Banana7
  • Like 1

On 2/25/2022 at 8:13 PM, RichardColeman said:

Funny thing is that Thailand's main tourist targets are all the people causing problems in this. They want tourists from the aggressive Russia, and tourists from India and China who veto anything against Russia ! Pretty clear this is all just talk from thailand as action against them would hit them harder than covid !

Does Thailand not want tourists from USA and Europe ? 

What is your point ? 

Do you intentionally state it from biased point of view ? 

5 minutes ago, sscc said:

Does Thailand not want tourists from USA

Apparently not from the US they don't. When is the last time they targeted the US in a travel ad campaign? Plus there are no direct flights between the US and Thailand, as there are between Russia, China, India, and Thailand.

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I think what's potentially much more serious is the renewed closeness of Russia and China. That's the sort of power coalition that suggests a potential new world war.

But it is a ray of hope that there are signs that China thinks Putin went too far.

a lot of water will run under the bridge before the Chinese change their mind..... birds of the feather flick together

3 hours ago, itsari said:

They have a situation closer to home in Myanmar that they have shown no desire to resolve . 

main suppliers of arms to the Myanmar junta:

1= China

2= Russia

3= Serbia

Thailand can't upset any of them as they may be taking a cut

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

a lot of water will run under the bridge before the Chinese change their mind..... birds of the feather flick together

Well I think Putin made a massive mistake invading Ukraine although he clearly could have gotten away with annexing Donbas only. I don't think the Chinese are on the same page with what Putin has done but they see the benefit in the alliance because of Taiwan. Basically, I think Putin's action is self destructive and insane at this point. He misjudged the level of resistance. He thought he could get away with everything and I think even if it takes years the end result will be with Putin gone. The Chinese are much more careful in their steps. Sure the Chinese badly want Taiwan but they're not as stupid and crazy as Putin in jumping the gun. Of course in the longer run (or shorter) the problems to the west posed by Russia are going to pale in comparison with the challenge of China.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

On 2/25/2022 at 5:45 PM, snoop1130 said:

The Permanent Representative of Thailand to the United Nations has expressed support for a diplomatic solution regarding the Russia-Ukraine crisis.

funny they didn't show the same support to the Myanmar people when the military junta grabbed power..... maybe because it sounded to familiar

Edited by Mavideol
  • Like 1

Just now, mtls2005 said:

Wonder if they'll give any Ukrainians currently here asylum, or an Invasion Extension?

Thailand won't give either side something they don't give both sides (or more likely no sides). That's how they roll. F-rangs fighting each other ... no biggie. 

8 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Well I think Putin made a massive mistake invading Ukraine although he clearly could have gotten away with annexing Donbas only. I don't think the Chinese are on the same page with what Putin has done but they see the benefit in the alliance because of Taiwan. Basically, I think Putin's action is self destructive and insane at this point. He misjudged the level of resistance. He thought he could get away with everything and I think even if it takes years the end result will be with Putin gone. The Chinese are much more careful in their steps. Sure the Chinese badly want Taiwan but there not as stupid and crazy as Putin in jumping the gun. 

agree but I do (unfortunately)  know the Chinese mentality very well and they are unpredictable.... as for Putin maybe he suffers from same deficiency as Adolph did, small man's (duck) syndrome   555

Edited by Mavideol
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Mavideol said:

agree but I do (unfortunately)  know the Chinese mentality very well and they are unpredictable.... as for Putin maybe he suffers from same deficiency as Adolph did, small man's syndrome   555

That's interesting. Could you be careful AND unpredictable? One of the odd things about this made for t.v. and social media invasion is that there was basically no surprise element. Putin wanted there to be, but Biden's policy of releasing so much intelligence about false flag attempts and invasion timing deprived him of that. 

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

That's interesting. Could you be careful AND unpredictable? One of the odd things about this made for t.v. and social media invasion is that there was basically no surprise element. Putin wanted there to be, but Biden's policy of releasing so much intelligence about false flag attempts and invasion timing deprived him of that. 

they don't go together and Chinese are not and have never been careful with anything, look at their moves in the SCS with Philippines, Japan, Malaysia, etc., they were not careful at all, they just moved in and kicked everybody/anybody out of their way but it took some by surprise thus unpredictable, when one less expects them to do something logic and/ or reasonable they will surprise