Taopiphop Limjittrakorn: The home brewer turned MP shaking up Thailand’s liquor industry

webfact

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

I have already cracked a stubby open in his honour...

Growler might be be apropos?

The biggest challenge to home-brewing here, besides the legality thing, and the supplies, is the ambient temperature.

Yes you can run AC, or rig a fridge.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

In the run-up to the general election, he bicycled door to door through Bangkok’s Constituency 22 to inform voters about his plan to change laws that favor giant brewers and make craft beer easily available.

He's got my full approval.

• Like 2

Why couldn't the home brewers join forces. Establish a company that produces beer the law says that you have to sell x amount of beer it does not say anything ythe brands.

In Canada Molson's brews a <deleted> load of beer under too many labels to mention.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

+1 For getting terminology correct: craft beer

Of course, the USA is the world leader in craft breweries.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_breweries_in_the_United_States

Your link only mentions the industry in the USA.

It doesn't mention/show coparisons/data re other counries, and in fact craft beer is very big in many other countries. 

19 hours ago, maddermax said:

Good luck to him. We need a lot more variety in the wines that are available, amongst other things.

PS. I'm getting p****ed off seeing Nick Faldo continuously!

I don’t see any shortage of varieties of imported wine in Chiang Mai, the only issue is that due to the tax regime it is at least double the price that you would pay in other countries.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, superal said:

Just wondering how the Pullman hotel in Khon Kaen managed to comply with the amount of beer produced cos it was nowhere near your figures  but their German beer was the best beer I have tasted in Thailand . Not sure but I think I read somewhere that the Pullman is closed now ?

Who ever made the brewing laws must have been influenced by the big breweries because what difference does it make on how much you produce ? More important would be the compliance with hygiene control / QA/ QC within the production of beer  and plant maintenance . 

Yes, it is about unbridled corruption on the part of the senate, who can be bought and paid for easily. It is a protectionist racket. Pure low level mafia stuff. Let us hope this guy will have some success in outing the thieves, and establishing some semblance of civility here. A nation without great beer is of questionable value. LOL. 

• Haha 1

Where I have my condo in Pratumnack Pattaya on the Thappraya Road, a former restaurant that has been vacant for about 5 years is being fitted out, a large sign reading Seeland Breweries has just been erected, with another sign hanging outside that states that they are recruiting staff.  Seems a strange name if it is not in fact going to brew beer !  Anyone have any knowledge of what they are going to do ?   Alas, can't keep you posted on developments as I am going back to UK tomorrow for three months ! 

13 hours ago, Elkski said:

The passage of this law or not will determine the future viability of living in Thailand or it's doom.   Is coruprion so great it can prevent the competition of this monopoly that every Thai person is aware of and effects so many.   Considering how cheap labor is Thai beer should be lower cost than the USA.  I can buy decent hoppy IPA cans for under 33 baht.  And it blows any local made Thai beer out of the ranks.   

I see the cost of cooling the fermentation tanks and no local barley or hops as a partial cost driver.  No telling how much rice and other non beer chemicals are in Thai beer.   To me chang is deadly swill. 

Beer brewed in your country like mine ,uses barley and hops grown in the country ,here in Thailand it all has to be imported ,that is where your Thai Bev etc win ,they would buy their barley by the boat load ,and hops by the multi container load. 

As spidermike said the cost of getting the paper work sorted is off-putting ,a craft beer set up would have to buy his barley and hops by a container load ,in bags with the cost of shipping  containers going up ,it would not just be viable to make a craft beer. 

Part of my reaction to the high import prices and lack of local quality and value has been to just cut back on my consumption, because anything one consumes here supports some form of corruption or unfair competition or mindless excessive taxation. As a result I feel better (and more horny much of the time). In fact I could never understand a place where for many people the two big activities were sex and drinking alcohol, which are antithetical.

Good luck to the man in his goal . 

However he has a uphill battle to change government policy on beer sales as we all should  know the reason why . 

The reason why is the richest citizens of Thailand control the present Government and also the beer producing companies in Thailand .

The company producing Chang is registered in Singapore but dont let that fool you .