Department of Employment issues reminder about jobs in Thailand prohibited to foreigners

webfact

5 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

And while we're at it let's remind ourselves that most people (pre-Covid) can turn up and enjoy 30 days or more in the country with absolutely no hassle.

My wife who I've been married to for 13 years, two kids together, has to answer a very personally intrusive form, provide detailed finances, give a stack of supporting documents, just to be allowed to enter the UK as a tourist.  Would you like that to be reciprocated??

Yes.

Then most of us would never have bothered with Thailand.

As we all know now, it's only good for one thing. Lol.

TIT. 

Edited by Orinoco

37 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Well, this means that I shall stop my promising career in ice carving then ...... how sad ???? 

Are these people for real or do I have to get either popcorn or my funny hat and the red nose? 

Was it Showmanship Chainsaw Ice Carving, if so your still good to go.....

• Like 1

On 3/1/2022 at 12:16 PM, jak2002003 said:

Yes they are.  You think a Thai person can go on holiday to UK or American and then get a job there or start their own business?  

No they can not go on holiday and get a job . But they can apply for residency. Work in any profossion they choose . Have a right to vote. Claim benefits ect ect. Oh and even get a passport after a certain amount of years.

On 3/2/2022 at 9:19 AM, BangkokReady said:

I'm not sure if you're from the UK or not, but I can assure you there are plenty of foreign hairdressers and barbers there.

The list of prohibited professions in Thailand is nothing like the UK. It is discrimination.

I am from the UK but I live here.  Managers of hair salons can qualify and this is probably their (illegal) workaround, but "normal" hair dressers are not eligible for work permits in the UK, sorry.

Really not sure why everyone has their knickers in a twist as I know of no foreigners who would want to make Thai dolls, mulberry paper, paper umbrellas, buddhas, or so silk weaving.  It is simply protecting traditional Thai crafts mostly.    And work permit eligibility is pretty much the same the world over.

But of course, sorry, no, it is DISCRIMINATION.

On 3/2/2022 at 2:19 AM, BangkokReady said:

I'm not sure if you're from the UK or not, but I can assure you there are plenty of foreign hairdressers and barbers there.

The list of prohibited professions in Thailand is nothing like the UK. It is discrimination.

In the last 30 years all my barbers have been foreign .  Lebanese.  Turkish.  Indian. Egyptian.   

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DaveE13 said:

In the last 30 years all my barbers have been foreign .  Lebanese.  Turkish.  Indian. Egyptian.   

Most of them probably second generation immigrants and therefore British citizens.

An Indian could not turn up tomorrow and get a work permit as a barber.  Neither could a Lebanese, Turkish, Egyptian, Spanish or Thai.

14 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Most of them probably second generation immigrants and therefore British citizens.

An Indian could not turn up tomorrow and get a work permit as a barber.  Neither could a Lebanese, Turkish, Egyptian, Spanish or Thai.

Yes Indian guy was 2nd generation definitely.  I went school with him the others not sure. But I never knew about this law so thanks for ponting that out.

20 minutes ago, DaveE13 said:

Yes Indian guy was 2nd generation definitely.  I went school with him the others not sure. But I never knew about this law so thanks for ponting that out.

One of the best things about the UK in my opinion - the variety of cultures and people that are part of our society.  I haven't lived there for a long time but used to live in a Turkish area of London: Turkish supermarkets, restaurants, takeaways, coffee shops, barbers.  All great people.  Similarly in the Greek areas, Indian areas, Chinese areas, Caribbean areas etc.

Sadly the UK is becoming less tolerant and more racist thanks to Boris and co, Farage, Brexit.  But the diversity of the UK is what makes it so special.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2022 at 4:21 PM, josephbloggs said:

Sadly the UK is becoming less tolerant and more racist thanks to Boris and co, Farage, Brexit.  But the diversity of the UK is what makes it so special.

I don't see any evidence of more racism from that, but yes diversity is a wonderful thing.

6 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I’ve worked legally in Thailand for over 20 years, never had any problems with work permits or immigration officers.

The ‘reserved occupations’ are by and large jobs no foreigner in his right mind would consider doing anyway.

Really ? How many thousands or even millions of taxi drivers are there around the world ? So you consider they are all out of their minds ? If so on your travels I assume you have never used a taxi anywhere for that simple reason !!! That is a reserved occupation in Thailand.

Edited by Excel

7 minutes ago, kneebendingfools said:

Thailand needs to figure out what bilateral means.

You mean like the bilateral Treaty of Amity Thailand has with the US which gives Thais and US citizens equal rights to own and operate businesses in each other's countries?

Maybe you need to figure out what things are before making anti Thai assumptions.

Edited by josephbloggs

2 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

You mean like the bilateral Treaty of Amity Thailand has with the US which gives Thais and US citizens equal rights to own and operate businesses in each other's countries?

Maybe you need to figure out what things are before making anti Thai assumptions.

The original treaty being modified, revised and watered down numerous times over the last couple of centuries, all of which isn't observed or practiced by either parties - almost moot or a fallacy of non sequitur standing. 

On 3/1/2022 at 11:53 AM, RandolphGB said:

Someone needs to drag Thailand into the 21st century 

The problem with this comment, it would encourage all the swinging dicks to come to Thailand and work.

Thailand would become the same sh..t hole we left behind.

I like Thailand the way it is, why come here to work, poor wages, long hours, accommodation etc. 

Thailand is for fun, sun, rest and relaxation. Living in Thailand must be enjoyed, live in style. You don't want all the miserable sad sacks living here. 

I've had to work in Thailand but it was offshore, great wages, adequate accommodation but away from all the beauty, temptation, fun and sun Thailand has to offer. 

On 3/8/2022 at 8:00 AM, Chomper Higgot said:

I’ve worked legally in Thailand for over 20 years, never had any problems with work permits or immigration officers.

The ‘reserved occupations’ are by and large jobs no foreigner in his right mind would consider doing anyway.

Meaningless without giving details of your personal and employment circumstances. The average farang visitor is unlikely to be able to find legal employment. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2022 at 5:27 PM, Shocked farang said:

All foreign lady boys in Pattaya should be deported immediately! 

AGREE 

I see a few transvestites (foreigners) here in Pattaya walking the streets since the boarders have opened up. 

I forgot how vile, horrid looking they are. 

Funny as #*+&, I reckon they think they will blend in with all our acceptable/OK looking ladyboys.

We do have the prettiest boys in the world. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST