Number of Russian visitors in Phuket instantly drops, Phuket struggles to find solutions for hundreds of stranded tourists with no access to funds due to sanctions

webfact

8 hours ago, steven100 said:

These stranded rusky's should tell their embassy in BKK to call Putin's rich Oligarch's .....and have them bring their  $200Million dollar yachts over and pick them up on the beach.  

Sorry, I am reading that some of the yachts have been seized, at least in Italy due to the sanctions.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, steven100 said:

wrong,  it's not only the russian government.. it's also the millions of russian's who did nothing to oppose the murderous regime for the past decade,  it's the millions of russian's who support Putin and his filthy Oligarchs getting richer by the day.  It's the millions of russians who are so gullible to this murderous regimes TV propergander tactics. 

It does beg the question whether it is to be blamed on any county's government, or whether it is the citizens in each country that bears the ultimate responsibility. Russians currently protesting in the streets certainly are demonstrating not being in agreement with Putin, et. al. Yes, I hold my own country's citizens responsible for wrongful government actions (of which there are many examples). Still, I had no difficulty of demanding severe punishment for Afghanistan for allowing the training camps for those who attacked the US. I do not propose that I know where to draw any lines but there is a recognized mixing of responsibility with "government" and the citizenry.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, wwest5829 said:

Sorry, I am reading that some of the yachts have been seized, at least in Italy due to the sanctions.

yes that's correct ,   and others were moving around faster than Muhammed Ali boxing Joe Frazier .

I am skeptical that the US, UK and whoever else can actual seize these yachts, mansions, apartments,  castles, Ferrari's and the rest as it will obviously all be in company names, wife's names,  cousins names,  next door neighbor's names  etc .....   and usually a house or property can't be seized if it's not in the criminals name or family.   Maybe i'm not correct on the legality of this.   I mean i'm sure these rich guys have paid a Lawyer to tell them what to do with their assets .

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

It does beg the question whether it is to be blamed on any county's government, or whether it is the citizens in each country that bears the ultimate responsibility. Russians currently protesting in the streets certainly are demonstrating not being in agreement with Putin, et. al. Yes, I hold my own country's citizens responsible for wrongful government actions (of which there are many examples). Still, I had no difficulty of demanding severe punishment for Afghanistan for allowing the training camps for those who attacked the US. I do not propose that I know where to draw any lines but there is a recognized mixing of responsibility with "government" and the citizenry.

You advocate a Russian revolution as in 1917 

I think if the west keeps the economic pressure on Russia that could well be reality

11 hours ago, webfact said:

Two airlines from Russia have paused their services to other areas including Phuket

Most of the aircraft in Russia are leased. They also won’t be able to service the Aircraft or pay the leases. Airlines must return the planes to the leasing companies if they don’t then the planes will be repossessed when they land abroad.
kiss goodbye to Russia.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, itsari said:

You advocate a Russian revolution as in 1917 

I think if the west keeps the economic pressure on Russia that could well be reality

Well, not as in 1917 but ... let us call it a radical "adjustment" away from authoritarianism as embodied by Vlad, et. al. He is not alone in the world but, sticking to the current issue ...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ricebarnandrooms said:

Most of the aircraft in Russia are leased. They also won’t be able to service the Aircraft or pay the leases. Airlines must return the planes to the leasing companies if they don’t then the planes will be repossessed when they land abroad.
kiss goodbye to Russia.  

Not only has Europe banned Russian planes from its airspace, European sanctions mean that Russian airlines face repossession of more than half of their planes. That’s because they’re leased and those leases become illegal, and void.

The problem is, according to Air Insight Group and Ernest Arvai,

• 236 planes need to be repossessed. In one month.

• If the airlines are willing to return the planes, where do they go? They can’t fly to Europe. They can go to the Mideast, for instance Dubai, where lessors can collect and store them.

• But Russian airlines may not return the planes. If you can get crew into Russia to repossess the planes “there simply aren’t enough repossession crews in the world to be able to retrieve all of these aircraft in the” time remaining.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, IamNoone88 said:

Nato has a short memory as well. Under the Minsk Agreement, after the break up of the Soviet Union, they were not meant to expand into Bulgaria, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Romania, Slovakia, and Slovenia. They did, breaking that treaty which Russia allowed to slide ..... but not without objection.

Nato and Europe then, having taken an inch, wanted to take the full yard and pushed for Ukraine to join and that was always a red line for Russian .... yet they kept pushing. Putin warned and warned again ...... you don't poke the bear. If the Minsk Agreement was observed by Nato, then it may be a different outcome today than the sh1tfight we have now.

I think you are somewhat mixing up history here.

The Minsk agreements were made in 2014 (Minsk Protocol) and 2015 (Minsk II) and had nothing at all to do with a possible eastward extension of NATO (or inclusion of Ukraine). It was all about stopping the fighting in the contested territories of Eastern Ukraine. (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minsk_agreements)

What you might have been thinking about are the Budapest accords (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budapest_Memorandum_on_Security_Assurances)  which were made in 1993, which were made when Ukraine (and others) gave up their nuclear weapons - to Russia, by the way. Some claim that during that time reassurances were given to Russia that NATO would not attempt extension towards the East. It would not have made sense anyway - those countries that Putin is now so upset about promises having been broken were still members of the Eastern Block in those days. The Iron Curtain ran east of the German border.

It is worthwhile to remember that all those countries you mentioned applied to be members of NATO of their own free will. Nobody forced them. And you forgot Montenegro, Albania, North Macedonia and Croatia.

As far as membership of Ukraine is concerned, I remember there was some discussion on that subject at one of the Munich Security Conferences (do not remember the year), which was strongly opposed by then German Chancellor Angela Merkel.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

I am not saying you are wrong, but in both cases going by the news reports, innocent women and children were slaughtered, so there can be n excuse for that.

To that end I agree. Loss of innocent lives is reprehensible at best and avoidable unless they are being used as human shields, in that case they become collateral damage and is felt deeply within those that took the lives unless it was indiscriminate bombings.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, webfact said:

“The reason that they have paused is because of European and American sanctions which caused airplane rental contracts to be paused too. Some ticket booking system companies have stopped their services. Airspace has been restricted and limited in conflict areas of Ukraine and Russia. So these make ticket bookings more difficult if not outright impossible for citizens of both countries

Also with the dramatic drop in the Ruble value they might have to sell the family tank to afford a flight.

4 minutes ago, slonopotam said:

Russian here.

What Russian people should worry about is, and also ask themselves. Putin has more money than he could ever spend, absolute power and getting old. Perhaps he wants to go out with a bang, and it would be a very Big Bang. Also when you corner a rat it will attack you. This is going to go really bad in short order. 

• Like 2