3,200 Russian tourists stuck in Koh Samui, Koh Phangan, and Koh Tao area due to Russia/Ukraine conflict and sanctions

webfact

19 hours ago, connda said:

I find the visceral hatred of the Russian culture, Russian people, and by extension the Eastern ethnic Slavic race within Russia's borders among members of the AseanNow forums to be abhorrent in its lack of humanity.
You people should be ashamed, but you will double-down and keep up this vitriolic hatred probably for the rest of your lives. Very sad.  :sad:

It reminds me of anti-Communist witch-hunt by McCarthy-ites in the United States during the 1950s.  You'd think we'd learn from history, but that never happens.  We just keep repeating the same hatred, and in the West, Russia is always a prime target.

Nobody in a county's general public is responsible for their government's foreign policy decisions. 
Wishing harm on the Russian people because they are from Russia is inhuman.  Grow a soul people.  Hatred like this is inexcusable.

Nobody has even hinted they 'hate' Russian culture, however, some things need to be hated such as unprovoked invasions, shelling civilian populations including schools and hospitals, making millions of people refugees. People voted for Putin and most support him so the general public do bear some responsibility for his lies and murders. 'Hate' has become an over used word to demonize anyone with an opinion people don't like.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, cncltd1973 said:

That reminds me of what General Patton said when Germany was defeated: Today, we defeated the wrong enemy. He wanted to roll into Moscow before it became the next world problem, but Eisenhower wouldn't allow it. I wonder how the world would be today if he did.

Globalization is Putin's greatest fear. If he could accept the inevitable, then none of this would happen. But he is from the KGB class and pines for the Soviet days, so he is keeping Russia as the prime target. Putin poisoned his political rival and threw him in jail, along with Russia's future.

Do you mean the "Operation Unthinkable", a Churchill's brainchild that should had started on July 1, 1945? Fortunately, some not really crazy people had stopped this thanksgiving for the Hitler's defeat.

And how the kind Gen. Patton had ended up before being reprimanded by Eisenhower that his function in Germany is not to entertain the German POW generals? Killed in highway accident by US army truck in Germany few months afterwards.

And the Putin's political rivals poisoning?  Perhaps by the BIO labs that are now so much in headlines?

On 3/10/2022 at 9:35 AM, tomazbodner said:

I guess you also greatly benefited from your country's corrupt regime to be able to afford internet access to spread your gibberish. Had you not benefited from that regime, you'd have died of hunger, right? Total nonsense.

Well, my country of origin ranks 22nd on the TI ranking while Russia is 136th...  And the government, who assisted my parents in giving me an education enabling a nice standard of living, also restored the independence of countries our forefathers had colonised. Recent government have repeatedly apologised for the crimes committed during the colonisation. All this was possible only because the people kept the <deleted> honest, taking arms many time and dying for freedom.

Thailand is constantly griping and complaining about retirees on long term extensions supposedly running out on medical bills, which they're not. So much so that they want to make them buy scam insurance policies. Now, you have a bunch of deadbeat Russians and Thailand is falling all over itself to pay their way for them, even going so far as to promote crypto money laundering. Why not make everyone in Thailand pay their own way and not give the Russians some special pass to dodge their debts.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

My daughter is 16.

When she was 12 I applied for a UK passport for her. It is not automatically granted, as I was not married to my wife when she was born (I am of course now). She was born the year before the rules were changed which would mean she could not be refused.

Anyway, I completed the paperwork, and paid the fee (significantly more than £100) naively believing that it would be a mere formality.

The application was refused. The money of course was retained. Questions as to why (sent by email, air mail and registered mail) went unacknowledged let alone answered. The Embassy just referred me back to the Home Office department ( the office is in Birkenhead). A barrister friend of mine enquired on my behalf, she was simply told that the application was refused, and there was no mechanism for appeal, any further questions from her went unanswered.

As far back as I can remember, every Home Secretary has breached the ministerial code in misleading the House by omission. How UK citizens get being treated by the Home Office is a closely guarded secret.

Not as much a problem as you had, but in 2014 the HO in their wisdom transferred UK passports from the FCO to the Passport Office and my renewal got caught up in the chaos, took nearly 3 months. I was in danger of going into overstay and had to get the Embassy to intervene, got my passport back a couple of days before I would have been heading to the Embassy for an ETD.

20 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

So all Russian tourists - normal people with families and jobs - are Russian mafia??

There are some disgusting and terrible human beings on this forum, people with absolutely zero compassion and humanity.  The Russian families on Samui are not bombing Ukraine!

The russians are not bombing Ukraine. They are conducting a surgical military operation on the patient Ukraine. And 70 % of the russian people love it.
Also the west is only conducting an economical operation on Russia. It means that russian luxery tourists have to pay cash for their umbrella drinks. My heart goes out for them.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Stygge said:

The russians are not bombing Ukraine. They are conducting a surgical military operation on the patient Ukraine. And 70 % of the russian people love it.
Also the west is only conducting an economical operation on Russia. It means that russian luxery tourists have to pay cash for their umbrella drinks. My heart goes out for them.

Where do you get your information from?  Fox News I guess?

So any Russian hit by these (hypocritical) sanctions is a luxury tourist with an umbrella in their drink???  Not sure what you have against umbrellas but Russian citizens are being affected all across the globe for something they have no part in.

31 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Where do you get your information from?  Fox News I guess?

So any Russian hit by these (hypocritical) sanctions is a luxury tourist with an umbrella in their drink???  Not sure what you have against umbrellas but Russian citizens are being affected all across the globe for something they have no part in.

Of course "ordinary" russians will be affected,. But only a very small percent of russians can afford going on tropical holidays. About 70 % of the russian population support their crazy leader. Of course this also affect the minority of russians being neutral och against the invasion. How could it be otherwise?

On 3/10/2022 at 7:25 AM, rott said:

If they stopped behaving like 2nd class they might find that people's attitudes towards them improve. 

For myself I have very little to do with them, I just wish that in the early days someone had explained to them that the Jomtien baht bus is meant for 6 people each side. Not 2 obese Russians spreading themselves out on each side. 

i see  german pissing out of songatau at night, england wooow  super beahviour  ( always think whos worse ) fighting shouting ..... and hmmm   ahh not forget the aussies..hmmm and .... if i know all the nations could write all night

so clean first in front of your door , than claim others....

• Confused 3

On 3/10/2022 at 1:02 AM, Will B Good said:

I would hate for people to think as a Brit, I support the Tory government's behaviour toward Ukrainian refugees.

Ukrainians are well looked after in the UK. It is not the behaviour towards them, more the system. There has to be checks or just anyone will walk in, included dodgy Russians with bad intentions. As a taxpayer, that’s not a nice notion, but I wish that all who wanted to could come in.

21 hours ago, Kinnock said:

It's amazing what people can make themselves believe if they try hard enough

I recently saw who I think is The Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov, tell reporters, and particularly responding to a Sky News question yesterday, saying Russia had not invaded Ukraine. I was astounded and would have called him out as a bare faced liar..... 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I recently saw who I think is The Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov, tell reporters, and particularly responding to a Sky News question yesterday, saying Russia had not invaded Ukraine. I was astounded and would have called him out as a bare faced liar..... 

He has definitely changed since this invasion started, lost his sense of humour, very serious these days, partly because he's assets have been frozen

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/10/2022 at 6:02 PM, herfiehandbag said:

When she was 12 I applied for a UK passport for her. It is not automatically granted, as I was not married to my wife when she was born (I am of course now). She was born the year before the rules were changed which would mean she could not be refused.

Odd? We weren't married when we got our first daughter but I did all the [French and Australian] paperwork right after she was born. 

Both countries require that one parent be a citizen at the time of birth, the processes to ascertain that differ though.

You have to research what the UK requirements are, including retroactivity issues, and make your case. I doubt a bureaucrat can deny a legitimate entitlement to citizenship, not in UK. Citizenship rules can be tricky as the place of birth can be taken into consideration, or not, in some cases.

Edited by Boomer6969

44 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

Odd? We weren't married when we got our first daughter but I did all the [French and Australian] paperwork right after she was born. 

Both countries require that one parent be a citizen at the time of birth, the processes to ascertain that differ though.

You have to research what the UK requirements are, including retroactivity issues, and make your case. I doubt a bureaucrat can deny a legitimate entitlement to citizenship, not in UK. Citizenship rules can be tricky as the place of birth can be taken into consideration, or not, in some cases.

It is discretionary, as I explained, since my wife and I were not married when my daughter was born.

The UK home office extends the definition of discretionary to mean an arbitrary decision which requires no explanation, and will brook no argument.

On 3/11/2022 at 8:59 AM, Kinnock said:

It's amazing what people can make themselves believe if they try hard enough.

Why is it so hard to believe. Thousands have lost jobs and their assets have been devalued and their leaders is driving the nation down. The streets are full of right wing fascist police thugs that won't let people speak. TV news can't speak the truth. Using the term 'war' for the Ukraine war is a crime in Russia now.  Maybe you are asking that question to yourself.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, John Drake said:

Thailand is constantly griping and complaining about retirees on long term extensions supposedly running out on medical bills, which they're not. So much so that they want to make them buy scam insurance policies. Now, you have a bunch of deadbeat Russians and Thailand is falling all over itself to pay their way for them, even going so far as to promote crypto money laundering. Why not make everyone in Thailand pay their own way and not give the Russians some special pass to dodge their debts.

I wonder if the Russian regime could would have sought out sensitive information on leaders in Thailand to keep them under their thumb like Trump. Trump still won't condemn Putin. Maybe they have some info on people in Thailand which might influence the extra service for their citizens. The Russian currency and economy won't come back for decades so it can't be that Thailand's leaders think tourism is all going to go right back to the way it was.

10 hours ago, lapamita said:

i see  german pissing out of songatau at night, england wooow  super beahviour  ( always think whos worse ) fighting shouting ..... and hmmm   ahh not forget the aussies..hmmm and .... if i know all the nations could write all night

so clean first in front of your door , than claim others....

I was quoting regular daily instances, you are quoting very rare, occasional night time events that are easily avoided (if indeed they happened at all). It is a predominantly working class resort famous for nightlife what would you expect. (Shouting indeed!.!!! This is too much.) You may be happier at the British Museum

• Like 1

On 3/10/2022 at 6:47 AM, tonray said:

I am not concerned because I have every expectation the Russian "mafia" and wealthy ellite here in Thailand will offer compassionate  help to their compatriots . (likely at around 20% rate on loans and snapping up condos at bargain fire sale pricing)...after alll somebody needs to pay for those new yachts to replace the ones seized by sanction.

Like the US bank, Goldman Sachs. They are profiting from the war by selling Russian debt to US hedge funds, absolutely disgusting. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TooBigToFit said:

Why is it so hard to believe. Thousands have lost jobs and their assets have been devalued and their leaders is driving the nation down. The streets are full of right wing fascist police thugs that won't let people speak. TV news can't speak the truth. Using the term 'war' for the Ukraine war is a crime in Russia now.  Maybe you are asking that question to yourself.

I think life is tougher in Ukraine. I see some brave demonstators on the streets in Moscow and St Putinsburg, but more Russians need to man up.

Allowing yourself to believe propaganda is just an excuse for being gutless.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Stygge said:

They are not so greatly developed to learn how to bombard first the country before they invade it by ground army (sometime also an orange agent will properly help). Where did we see the wonderful firework on CNN  20 years ago and later again?

Then, however, no 2.5 millions of the population are able to escape to neighbour countries within 10 days. (were some people able to escape from Iraq?) 

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

He is the Goebbels of the 21 century........I hope he eventually suffers the same fate with at least one of his two families.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

It is discretionary, as I explained, since my wife and I were not married when my daughter was born.

The UK home office extends the definition of discretionary to mean an arbitrary decision which requires no explanation, and will brook no argument.

Discretionary ?

Also, marriage is irrelevant. But does your girl's birth certificate show that you are her father?

You’re automatically a British citizen if you were born outside the UK and all of the following apply:

• you were born on or after 1 July 2006
  • your mother or father was a British citizen when you were born
  • your British parent could pass on their citizenship to you

Your British parent could pass on their citizenship to you if they were one of the following:

• born or adopted in the UK
  • given citizenship after applying for it in their own right (not based on having a British parent)
  • working as a Crown servant when you were born (for example in the diplomatic service, overseas civil service or armed forces)

https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship-british-parent/born-on-or-after-1-july-2006

Edited by Boomer6969

On 3/10/2022 at 8:28 AM, Boomer6969 said:

Nonsense, they had 20 years to get rid of Putin, but they didn't because he entertained their delusion of Russian grandeur. And, believe me, the Russians who can afford come  to Thailand for holidays are those, or their children, who benefitted from Putin's corrupt regime.

Ok, boomer

1 hour ago, Will B Good said:

He is the Goebbels of the 21 century.

Did you mean the lies about the biological weapons? I am quite confused about the 2 statements within 1 minute (not by Lavrov), completely contradictory, by somebody who has known a thing or two about Ukraine, on a simple question: "Does Ukraine has chemical and biological weapons?" 

4 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

Discretionary ?

Also, marriage is irrelevant. But does your girl's birth certificate show that you are her father?

You’re automatically a British citizen if you were born outside the UK and all of the following apply:

• you were born on or after 1 July 2006
  • your mother or father was a British citizen when you were born
  • your British parent could pass on their citizenship to you

Your British parent could pass on their citizenship to you if they were one of the following:

• born or adopted in the UK
  • given citizenship after applying for it in their own right (not based on having a British parent)
  • working as a Crown servant when you were born (for example in the diplomatic service, overseas civil service or armed forces)

https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship-british-parent/born-on-or-after-1-july-2006

Lucy was born on the 16 July 2005.

• Thanks 1