Russian Tourists Struggle to Leave Thailand Amid Russia-Ukraine Crisis

snoop1130

2 hours ago, Stygge said:

I´m really inspired to solve this problem of our russian friends stuck in paradise.
They long to get home to take up arms and fight off the aggressive ukranians or to start cultivating turnips for their future diet.

I understand flights to Syria are open and going. Since Syria is a russian protectorate and Russia recently practised bombing the city Aleppo to gravel they have many friends there. Putin just called upon his islamist friends to come and fight in Ukraine. Their brutality against civilians is dearly needed. They are currently flown from Syria to Russia. Why not fly our bewildered friends to Syria and from there they can catch a ride with the islamist fighters going to Russia/Ukraine? It´s a cost effective way to bring them home to their Fatherland.

I like your sense of humor.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Blumpie said:

These guys are hooped - with their currency literally the price of toilet paper, how does one afford a flight out of thailand?  Or even eat?  

I don't wish this on anyone.  

Putin could send some military aircraft and evacuate them easily.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Thousands of Russian tourists in Thailand are reportedly struggling to find a way home, as international sanctions imposed over the Russia-Ukraine crisis hit holidaymakers.

Thousands ????

13 hours ago, Blumpie said:

These guys are hooped - with their currency literally the price of toilet paper, how does one afford a flight out of thailand?  Or even eat?  

I don't wish this on anyone.  

You don´t know that people need a return flight when entering Thailand? Apparently they already could afford id and have paid for it.

Also, you are talking about poor Russians. This is not the case here. The divide between economical cracks in Russia is so big. In reality there is only rich Russians and poor Russians, and the poor ones never have a chance to afford a trip.

• Like 2

Putin obviously does not care for his stranded citizens.  If he did, he would order Aeroflot to take whatever round about route was needed to evacuate stranded Russian tourists around the world.  They are stranded through no fault of their own.   But they MUST take responsibility for their leader.  I hope they have brains enough to remember that their war criminal abandoned them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Letseng said:

Why can't Russian government fly them out? Thai airspace isn't closed to flights from Russia.

Good question.

With McDonald's closing all its restaurants in Russia many probably would prefer to stay.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, pixelaoffy said:

Maybe russian gov isn't interested in it's people .. remember it's not exactly an open free country . Run by ex Soviet  KGB agents 

Is there any government who is interested in its own people, except for paying taxes.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Chang_paarp said:

It is a condition of entry into Thailand that you have a ticket out of the country, a return ticket is the normal way to satisfy this requirement.

That airlines servicing the Russian market are cancelling flights says a lot of their expectations of recouping costs. A state sponsored  repatriation flight is often the norm in these sort of situations, unfortunately those who could make the needed decisions are focused on other events.

Those stuck in Thailand are suffering a number of issues beyond their control, they cannot get access to their funds, their currency has become almost worthless and no one wants to take them home. All caused by decisions made by those in power.

I hope they remember this when they get home.

They'll still support the rat-faced midget.

Imperialistic Russia, run by billionaire dr. Evil and some oligarchs. Russia invaded a democratic neighbouring country. Russia has an embassy here, that has to follow the policy of its leaders in the Kremlin. Let these criminals sort it out themselves how to help their beloved citizens. I help enough people here, but will not assist any Russian or buy from a Russian shop. I know, also good Russians, but I have had it. Everybody gets the government, they deserve. Let them feel the consequences.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wensiensheng said:

Who are the Russian individuals currently committing war crimes in Ukraine then? The privates, corporals and sergeants. Aren’t they normal Russian people?

are they going to say that they were only following orders? Because that excuse rings a bell from another era dominated by Hitlers thugs.

not saying the Russian people as a whole aren’t decent folk, just that it isn’t Putin pulling the triggers on rifles in Ukraine or aiming artillery at apartment buildings and hospitals. Normal Russian people in uniforms are doing it and they should stop.

Indeed. I'm pretty sure the Russian police who have carted off 15,000 people, including children, for daring to hold up a card saying no war are all citizens. You don't get a free pass because you're not personally in the military and killing civilians.