Thai companies have a moral decision to make

webfact

3 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

Can these Thai companies use their Morals; not the Morals dictated by Crist and the western authorities ?  

They might apply the Eightfold path: Right Understanding, Right Thought, Right Speech, Right Action, Right Livelihood, Right Effort, Right Mindfulness and Right Concentration.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, animalmagic said:

Countries are not immoral, corrupt or guilty; neither are their entire populations.  Immorality, corruption and guilt start at the top when Governments abuse the people's love of their country for their own particular agenda.  Often stoked by lies and propaganda to trick their own people.  Countries do not start wars or invade other countries people do.

As for letting God sort it out it seems strange that this all powerful and omniscient being always seems powerless and ignorant of all the immorality, corruption and guilt in the world.  To the best of my knowledge the people of both countries worship at the same church!

The name of the religion is the same but the religious leadership is not. 

March 13, 2022

A Russian Orthodox Church in Amsterdam unanimously announced that it is no longer possible for them to function within the Moscow patriarchate and provide a spiritually safe environment for its congregation.

www.theguardian.com/world

I expect a similar viewpoint in Ukraine towards the Russian Orthodox Church. 

March 12, 2022

In fact a split within the Orthodox Church in Ukraine is among the pretext cited by Russia for the invasion.

The Patriarch of Russia Orthodox Christianity Kirill praised the invasion.

www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/

Faiths can be shanghaied for political purposes where morality and even religious doctrine is subverted. Most notable in the US is the loyalty the Evangelists to POTUS D. Trump.

March 2, 2022

The Kremlin's vision of Russia connects the state, military and the Russian Orthodox Church.

www.theconversation.com/

The same might be said of Buddhism in Thailand.

Well at least TooMuchTIme is not from Ukraine, but I doubt the opinion would be the same if it was their home country that

Russia invaded.  This war is having an effect on a lot of the world.  Many companies have to have a reality check

and decide if money is the only thing in their future. Are there any old people our age who are really totally innocent?

2 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Funnily enough I was going to raise that issue.......presumably Ukraine has the capabilities to bomb a major city, if not Moscow?......or are Russia's air defences so strong it would be a suicide mission.

I am unsure what capacity they have..... less than many believe I suspect. They would lose the moral high-ground if they did.

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

I am unsure what capacity they have..... less than many believe I suspect. They would lose the moral high-ground if they did.

Just been reading up on it.....saving their fire power, as you say, losing the moral high ground, offers a propaganda opportunity to bolster support from ordinary, undecided, Russians, turns this from an assault on Ukraine to a war between Russia and Ukraine etc.......maybe should have read up on it before posting....555

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, TooMuchTime said:

What moral dilemma?

People actually think Ukraine is some innocent country?  I guess those who only watch TV and follow the latest trends do.  Two corrupt countries at war is nothing to be involved with.  Let God sort those two out.

So, BBC, Sky News, European News and French News are all wrong?  You might like to get out a little more!   Oh, I nearly forgot that Ukraine attacked Russian - right?

Edited by robertson468
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

I was about to mention this. ????

You only have to look at how many Thai women sell their bodies to understand concepts of morality here, if there are any.

Money Number One. 

For everyone money number one.

Imagine trying to exist or live a lifestyle without it.

• Like 1

Errr; someone correct me if i'm wrong but as the Car Factories i believe are owned by the Japanese, Germans etc then surely those Countries will decide if Thailand can Export those Products to Russia....or anywhere else for that matter and the way things are now those Countries will not let Thailand do so as it would contradict their stance on current Sanctions against Russia !

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

I was about to mention this. ????

You only have to look at how many Thai women sell their bodies to understand concepts of morality here, if there are any.

Money Number One. 

Feeding your family by any means necessary is moral.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, userabcd said:

For everyone money number one.

Imagine trying to exist or live a lifestyle without it.

Imagine trying to exist, exercising morality in every decision.  Don't think we would be living in Thailand.

COL inexpensive here, sort of, due to very low salaries.  Do I think it's morally right for people to get paid ฿330 a day ...  no.

Do I want them to get paid ฿1000 a day ... after my house is done .... ????

3 generations in the same house just isn't right, but do I want to pay more than ฿90 baht for my very filling meal of Khao Soi w/fried pork filet, sitting in AC comfort ... no.

฿1800 baht for oil change, labor free is bad enough.  Do I want to pay another ฿1-2k more for labor, or ฿5k labor for a tune up.  Holy Buddha, I'd have to start doing them myself.  Cost $50-100 / hr USD just to look at your car at a dealer in the USA.  

China & most Asian countries with low salaries, and it's a rough life, living under tyranny, even more so than USA, UK, EU & OZ ... do I still order Chinese online or buy in shop ... hell yea.

Wife buys material for my clothes, probably weaved in sweatshops w/ child labor ... oh well, glad I can't see them from here.  Hey, I was working when I was 12 yrs old, builds character.

Morality ... something humanity has lacked since the beginning of life.

Same folks pushing the 'morality' are the same folks that created the world's problems.

Ukraine & Russia has sold more arms that have killed 100 to 1000 times more people, than they are now killing each other with.

Som naa na

Edited by KhunLA

12 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Just because we require money to exist does not mean it must be the most important concern.

Try again.

Try existing without it ... 

... it provides life

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CharlieH said:

There are no morals  where money or much else is concerned.

Goes without saying.

Hasn't this been the standard compass of contradiction as such applies to corporations and government worldwide for ages? 

• Like 1

IME working for a number of companies for 50 years, morality did not exist in any of them. And those were Western companies, not Thai.

Statistically, I would say the probability of finding morality in any company on earth would be the same as finding compassion in Putin.

6 hours ago, smutcakes said:

Given PTT just gleefully took over TOTAL's fields in Myanmar as they pulled out, i find it hard to believe they have a moral compass.

PTT issued a statement saying that they wanted to protect the provision of energy to the Myanmar people

Thank you, my thoughts as well when it comes to morals and supporting a genocidal Burmese military Junta.

Not only TOTAL but also Chevron. (16 March 2022)

Thai energy company PTTEP has said it will take over the running of Myanmar’s vital Yadana gas field following the withdrawal of global giants Chevron and TotalEnergies in January.

The Yadana gas field in the Andaman Sea provides electricity to Myanmar and Thailand, one of a number of gas projects that Human Rights Watch says make up Naypyitaw’s single largest source of foreign currency revenue, generating more than US$1 billion annually.

https://www.irrawaddy.com/news/burma/thai-firm-takes-over-myanmar-gas-field-after-withdrawal-of-chevron-total.html#:~:text=Thai Firm Takes Over Myanmar Gas Field After Withdrawal of Chevron%2C Total,-Thai oil company&text=Thai energy company PTTEP has,Chevron and TotalEnergies in January.

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information

10 hours ago, TooMuchTime said:

What moral dilemma?

People actually think Ukraine is some innocent country?  I guess those who only watch TV and follow the latest trends do.  Two corrupt countries at war is nothing to be involved with.  Let God sort those two out.

Where did you get that Ukraine is a corrupt country? We have not read anything like this, only in the media that always lie to us, don't they?

https://tradingeconomics.com/country-list/corruption-rank