Police Offer 3000 Baht Reward to Street Race Informants

snoop1130

1bdb140d89d7608948a5af79a7039b61_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - Authorities have announced a 3,000 baht reward per tip-off for information about illegal motorcycle racing on public roads.

According to Deputy National Police Chief Pol Gen Damrongsak Kittiprapas, the public is encouraged to report illegal racing by calling the hotline 1599 or 191, available at all hours of the day. He also suggested that videos be uploaded to the Center for the Suppression of Illegal Racing on Public Roads’ social media page to raise awareness about the issue.

Following the announcement, Pol Gen Damrongsak convened a meeting with provincial police to develop prevention plans to address racing on public roads, which is expected to increase during the Songkran holiday festival taking place in April.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

The Deputy national police chief said the Royal Thai Police have been tasked with addressing the issue and training 18,000 juveniles nationwide to serve as local volunteers and assist authorities in putting an end to street racing in Thailand.

According to a recent report, as many as 1,621 motorcycle racers were arrested between January and February, with 936 cars and 18,936 motorcycles confiscated in the process.

In the month of March, eleven people were arrested and ten vehicles seized. The detention of five people in Ayutthaya following a tip-off on social media, as well as the detention of an organizer of illegal racers near the city’s Na Ranong intersection, have been among the most notable cases.

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2022-03-22

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Is this anything more than a juvenile public stunt... ????

Instead of doing their job the Thai police want to create a generation grasses...   when the basic copper gets 12,000 baht (or whatever it is...   are they really going to give a weeks wages to someone else ?????

These schemes are pathetic and already haven't worked because no one trusts the police !!!...

As happened before, the police announced 20,000 baht to catch law breakers and what happened ???

The submissions were entered into a 20,000 baht draw...  results anyone? ever ????

No one knows who won those draws of course...   Whats the betting it was Sgt Somchai’s wife ?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, it is what it is said:

so you think illegal activity is ok as long as the police aren't around? anyone reporting illegal activity is a grass? ok, say someone assaulted/attacked/mugged one of your family/friends and there was a witness, you'd tell the witness not to help the police catch the person/s responsible because that would make them a grass? really?!

Nope but I do find it worrying that the state is going to train grasses. The stasi in east Germany comes to mind. 

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The Deputy national police chief said the Royal Thai Police have been tasked with addressing the issue and training 18,000 juveniles nationwide to serve as local volunteers and assist authorities in putting an end to street racing in Thailand.

Setting up and training a future snitch network, exploiting "juveniles" not yet fully aware of their assignments?

They have had anonymous narc lines for everything in Taipei for many years and it works well.  From dripping A.C's onto sidewalks, to illegal exhausts or driving on the sidewalks (plus many more), you can get a cut.  Call it in, get a code and call back in 15 days.  When you call back, enter the code and if the person was fined, they ask you to enter your bank account so they can deposit the 40% (or about) of your cut of the fine into right then.  Has worked for many years there.....but again, THIS IS THAILAND.

Edited by mushroomdave
  • Like 2

........ "as many as 1,621 motorcycle racers were arrested between January and February, with 936 cars and 18,936 motorcycles confiscated in the process." I always wonder who is compiling those most accurate numbers to the x-th digit behind the comma? 

If you want to put an end to it (and they clearly do not want) then destroy the vehicles ???? It will not eradicate the happenings but, as the (former) public destruction of counterfeit goods, usually a yearly media event in March, it impoverished some sellers and distributors. Due to the absence of tourists hunting for fake Logegs, Loowees Veetongs etc. = problem solved (for the time being at least). 

8 hours ago, it is what it is said:

so you think illegal activity is ok as long as the police aren't around? anyone reporting illegal activity is a grass? ok, say someone assaulted/attacked/mugged one of your family/friends and there was a witness, you'd tell the witness not to help the police catch the person/s responsible because that would make them a grass? really?!

This is about reporting racing motorbikes... not anything else..

Cool down.

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

the Royal Thai Police have been tasked with addressing the issue

along with ensuring helmets are worn; red lights observed; speeding curtailed; restaurants have correct certification; oh, and crime discouraged.  No wonder they don't do anything but ask the public to do their job.

1 hour ago, RafPinto said:

Soon we get 500 baht reward for fake news.
Each time a lady calls us "handsome", we can sue her or get rewarded immediately 500bht cash payout for lying in public.

After all those ladies told me I am handsome I believe it. ???? 

• Haha 1

Dear RTP, no need to wait to be told by others. Set up a booth on Paholyothin Road anytime after prime time traffic eases and the boy racers will come to you, but be quick because they will be fanging it when they get to you. And while you are getting the boy racers, how about stamping down on the clowns with obscenely loud exhaust systems installed.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Aussieroaming said:

how about stamping down on the clowns with obscenely loud exhaust systems installed

That noise saves lives. You hear them coming.

Recently there are some electric cars in the car park from my condominium. Sometime I walk to get my bike and when I turn around a big car is just rolling behind me without any noise. That should be forbidden. It is dangerous! 

19 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

They're going to train juveniles to be grasses?

Whatever works. Realize that these snitches are probably saving the lives of some of their friends.

Nothing else has worked. Great idea as far as I'm concerned.

6 hours ago, Jimbo53 said:

When the RTP start obeying the road rules themselves,and stop stealing money from other road users,then they may get some help and respect from the public!

they dont follow road rulz... prob dont even know.....  

19 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

They're going to train juveniles to be grasses?

If grassing is going to save peoples lives then I'm all for it. if there were no grasses, the police in any country would never solve any crimes. ie if you overheard someone admitting he was a rapist or child molester, wouldn't you inform the police? I would.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

That noise saves lives. You hear them coming.

Recently there are some electric cars in the car park from my condominium. Sometime I walk to get my bike and when I turn around a big car is just rolling behind me without any noise. That should be forbidden. It is dangerous! 

In the UK there was discussion about them having to emit 'a noise' below a certain speed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RocketDog said:

Whatever works. Realize that these snitches are probably saving the lives of some of their friends.

Nothing else has worked. Great idea as far as I'm concerned.

The state training snitches…that always works well. 

Not. 

56 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

If grassing is going to save peoples lives then I'm all for it. if there were no grasses, the police in any country would never solve any crimes. ie if you overheard someone admitting he was a rapist or child molester, wouldn't you inform the police? I would.

State trained grasses? That is something akin to a police state or other forms of despotic rule. 

12 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

State trained grasses? That is something akin to a police state or other forms of despotic rule. 

I would never grass on most occasions as I am often guilty of breaking laws that I don't agree with.

But rapists and child molesters?? I would do anything in my power to have them castrated and jailed.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, it is what it is said:

Get what they deserve some of them.