Pleasant Burger Surprise Today.

sqwakvfr

On 3/24/2022 at 10:23 PM, SamSanuk said:

I notice lots of restaurants that serve western food have $8 to $12 ranges.

I used to think those were to snag naive tourists who dropped in seeing the familiar prices, unaware things are supposed to be much cheaper here in the LOS. But we haven't had many tourists for the past two years.

It's all about image and status for the hi-so Thais. If it's expensive and imported, it raises their social credit score or whatever. We went to this Japanese place outside of Mega Bangna in BKK, we couldn't believe the prices. 200-300 baht for appetizers like a small plate of shrimp tempura. Full meals would empty your wallet. Yet we saw the hi-sos keep streaming in, bleached skin, plastic surgery, BMW keys on the table. Hah.

Anyway, burgers. 349 baht's a decent price for the OP's burger set. My go-to was the Sunrise Tacos inside Mega Bangna. Their All American Southwest Burger, "a fresh ½ lb (220g) premium ground sirloin burger, onions, lettuce, tomato, dill slices and chipotle sauce served with French fries." is 275 baht. Cheese 20 baht extra, drink extra. Very friendly, unpretentious Filipino staff.

• Like 1

I decided that today I would count just how many best burger threads there have been on the Chiang Mai forum alone over the years.

Then I decided I would not bother as that would be very sad and mean my life was desperately missing something!

So I went back to bed. ????

Edited by Thailand
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I know the partner of the owner of this enterprise, They are based in New Zealand and it is run under management by a family member in Thailand. Over the decades of visiting Thailand (curtailed recently by Covid-19 in Fortress New Zealand) you cannot put generic price comparisons. Staying at the CH Hotel with my youngest son and daughter over a decade ago, he had difficulty with the local cuisine. A fixed trading restaurant in the Anusarn Market did a burger and chips for around 150 baht.

Was staying last visit at the Suriwongse and fancied a burger after consuming alcohol beverages on "Catton Corner", MC'D Quarter-pounder with cheese was the desire, About 200 baht or so to suffice munchies and a 20 metre walk.

I also love the later cheap deals at Tesco Lotus or whatever brand it wishes to be named in the future.

The lovely little Pork Rissoles (small burgers) at almost give-away prices, discounted bakery goods. etc.  To finish the post off is Breakfast Buffets. Chiang Mai Expats at the Riverside is extremely good value, Imperial Mai Ping, more costly but was better variety. Hopefully all survive through the pandemic with our support.

Wee guy has turned in our area 40 K outside the City .Thai...with a Suzuki. Conveted setup . Personally I dont really like Farang Ghetto location area burgers however got wifes  niece to try them..,aroi...mak..mak...Surpised..and at 35 BT each..even more so....You are getting ripped off with some stupid prices..but hey ..got money to burn then.....fine..

• Haha 1

On 4/7/2022 at 12:23 PM, Paul Catton said:

Chiang Mai Expats at the Riverside is extremely good value, Imperial Mai Ping, more costly but was better variety. Hopefully all survive through the pandemic with our support.

The Imperil Mae Ping hotel closed down about four years ago , seems like there's half a dozen Burmese guts carrying out a full hotel renovation and doesnt look like it will reopen anytime soon 

On 4/9/2022 at 3:59 AM, Mac Mickmanus said:

The Imperil Mae Ping hotel closed down about four years ago , seems like there's half a dozen Burmese guts carrying out a full hotel renovation and doesnt look like it will reopen anytime soon 

Sorry to hear about this, was also a preferred stay for certain dignitaries, and also had a dedicated suite for a deceased Chinese "National" actress. F'd me right off as the last time staying there, was placed next door, and had to endure a passing through pilgrimage to get back to our sanctuary.

As an aside, "Leve Stogan" was maybe a mate of yours?  I remember the days with Kent Walton as commentator on TV, and watching live performances at the Liverpool Stadium.  Give the place a try if you can, and give your neutral feedback. Take care and kind regards.   

On 3/25/2022 at 8:49 AM, Bill97 said:

Oh no no no

how about the burgers being different sizes

how about comfortable seating vs plastic stools

ac vs fan

pleasing music vs loud mc

the dining experience has a price too

Hang on. Didn't the op say the place nearly always has no customers?

Probably you have both answered your own thoughts.

Agree with BM2 on this one. For 300+ baht I would be expecting a fur-burger.

Not price, but principle.

Edited by Lucky Bones
  • Thanks 1

A burger is something I don't go out for, and more a last resort meal if ordered.  Definitely not something I'm paying close to ฿300 or more for, and don't care how nice it is.  That's 2 Whoppers if going that route, or a large Thai meal.

When we're out & about, especially Krung Thep, with all the options or something new to try, a burger definitely doesn't come to mind for a meal.

I don't mind mark ups, but I can buy a kg of burger for ฿300, and yet to have one out better than I've cooked at home.  Local gal used to do a very nice one for ฿75 w/few chips (3B Aussie beef).  Sadly her landlord priced her out of business.  That WAS worth a weekly stop, good pasties also, ฿20-50, for brownies / apple pie.

image.png.f6cd59e489e0636d5d7cdeb267237f42.png

Edited by KhunLA

On 4/15/2022 at 11:08 AM, KhunLA said:

A burger is something I don't go out for,......

That's 2 Whoppers.....

Local gal used to do a very nice one for ฿75 w/few chips (3B Aussie beef).  That WAS worth a weekly stop.....

Don't go out for, but worth a weekly stop. Bi-polar?

And if you think a Whopper is a burger then you are deprived of good beef. I'm guessing Thai buffalo is the same as good USA, NZ, or Aussie ribeye....  ????

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

Don't go out for, but worth a weekly stop. Bi-polar?

And if you think a Whopper is a burger then you are deprived of good beef. I'm guessing Thai buffalo is the same as good USA, NZ, or Aussie ribeye....  ????

For ฿75, it's not worth doing the dishes at home.  3B Aussie beef, with fixins and a few tater wedges.  No, it's not dining out, just a nice lunch and chat with owner.  Going out for a burger is not taking the wife out to dinner,  Box restaurant w/no AC, but tasty pastries.

And BK used 100% Aussie or NZ beef here, I think.  Double up on the meat, I think ฿70 baht more, and you got a nice char grilled beefy burger, if wanting.  

This is dining out, sitting in AC, surfside, nice lite Jazz in background, getting served Picanha.

image.png.1948323d9b6bd1155dfcbf7e9ac12153.png

28 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

No, it's not dining out, just a nice lunch and chat with owner. 

Who said 'dining', not me nor you in your post i replied to.

"A burger is something I don't go out for, and more a last resort meal if ordered."

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

When questioned, do not reply, just tell a new different story.  Effective in diverting attention of many.  Some posters just do it again and again.

40 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

"A burger is something I don't go out for, and more a last resort meal if ordered."

A simple miscommunication.  'Go out' = out to dinner for me.  With that, most places here that serve food, aren't 'dining out' restaurants.  Probably why we don't 'dine out' much.  OK ... Technically, you are dining / eating out of the house.

Had a nice Khao Soi w/fried pork patty yesterday, AC, comfy enough, but wouldn't call that taking the wife out for dinner.  Short pants, collared shirt, sandals ????

No salad, the meal was basically a bowl of soup, very nice though, no desert, no wine/sipping bev, no atmosphere / ambiance, though comfy and relaxing.  Arrive, order, eat, leave.  That's not dining out, and 95% of the restaurants don't even offer that (AC / no swatting flies) here.  Again, why we eat in the home, besides better chefs than what most serve up.

Dining out in Thailand is a pretty low bar, compared to what my dining out experiences in USA were.  IMHO.  How about a cloth napkin, instead of that little square tissue box, or worse, a roll of TP on the table .... ????  W T F  or ordering a salad and plate of food, and actually having the salad served 1st.   NO, you have to order the salad, then when that arrives, order your meal.  

Attentive staff ... not that's some funny sh!t right there. 

Also, you get what you pay for, so with that, one can't complain too much.

Which is fine, I accept all that, and I guess it's part of Thai's charm.   As we have more than enough time to do it right at home, and usually taste better.  I try order things out, that I won't or can't make better at home.  Which TBH, isn't much.  So to avoid disappointment, we really do eat in .... a lot.

Burgers ... NO, not something I'm ordering out, especially since she closed up.  It's a last resort meal if I do.  It probably means we're out & about, at a food court, and nothing interests me, and there's a BK or non chain burger nearby, or even a gyro / kebab vendor will do, if lucky enough.

Edited by KhunLA

53 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

A simple miscommunication.  'Go out' = out to dinner for me.  With that, most places here that serve food, aren't 'dining out' restaurants.  Probably why we don't 'dine out' much.  OK ... Technically, you are dining / eating out of the house.

Had a nice Khao Soi w/fried pork patty yesterday, AC, comfy enough, but wouldn't call that taking the wife out for dinner.  Short pants, collared shirt, sandals ????

No salad, the meal was basically a bowl of soup, very nice though, no desert, no wine/sipping bev, no atmosphere / ambiance, though comfy and relaxing.  Arrive, order, eat, leave.  That's not dining out, and 95% of the restaurants don't even offer that (AC / no swatting flies) here.  Again, why we eat in the home, besides better chefs than what most serve up.

Dining out in Thailand is a pretty low bar, compared to what my dining out experiences in USA were.  IMHO.  How about a cloth napkin, instead of that little square tissue box, or worse, a roll of TP on the table .... ????  W T F  or ordering a salad and plate of food, and actually having the salad served 1st.   NO, you have to order the salad, then when that arrives, order your meal.  

Attentive staff ... not that's some funny sh!t right there. 

Also, you get what you pay for, so with that, one can't complain too much.

Which is fine, I accept all that, and I guess it's part of Thai's charm.   As we have more than enough time to do it right at home, and usually taste better.  I try order things out, that I won't or can't make better at home.  Which TBH, isn't much.  So to avoid disappointment, we really do eat in .... a lot.

Burgers ... NO, not something I'm ordering out, especially since she closed up.  It's a last resort meal if I do.  It probably means we're out & about, at a food court, and nothing interests me, and there's a BK or non chain burger nearby, or even a gyro / kebab vendor will do, if lucky enough.

Many restaurants with decent ambience and service, even some with cloth napkins.  

But you would be out of place in your short pants.

On 4/13/2022 at 4:32 PM, Paul Catton said:

Sorry to hear about this, was also a preferred stay for certain dignitaries, and also had a dedicated suite for a deceased Chinese "National" actress. F'd me right off as the last time staying there, was placed next door, and had to endure a passing through pilgrimage to get back to our sanctuary.

As an aside, "Leve Stogan" was maybe a mate of yours?  I remember the days with Kent Walton as commentator on TV, and watching live performances at the Liverpool Stadium.  Give the place a try if you can, and give your neutral feedback. Take care and kind regards.   

A very famous  (In this part of the world) Taiwanese singer.  Teresa Teng

• Thanks 1