Copy of Thai wife id card Front only or front and back?

9 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

https://krungthai.com/th/krungthai-update/news-detail/478

An article in Thai saying that people should not copy the back of their ID card.

My wife says that if you cross out the copy with two lines and note the purpose of the copy (same you do with your passport copy in a rental agreement) then this is no problem. There is no information on the back that is not as well on the front. This number in the middle is the unique ID-Card-Number. That's at least what she says and how we have done it multiple times.

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

It was just a reminder that no single person's experience with any aspect of Thai bureacrcy on any given day at any given location is ever empirical. Otherwise known as....

YMMV

TiT

Nothing whatsoever to do with experiences or locations etc etc.

I supported the comment made by the OP in respect of a change to the back of the Thai ID card.

Are you trying to say there has been no such change?

8 hours ago, moogradod said:

My wife says that if you cross out the copy with two lines and note the purpose of the copy (same you do with your passport copy in a rental agreement) then this is no problem. There is no information on the back that is not as well on the front. This number in the middle is the unique ID-Card-Number. That's at least what she says and how we have done it multiple times.

As I stated in my first post in this topic, the number in the middle is used by some online services to verify that the person using the service is in possession of the ID card, the number is called "Laser ID". It's similar to the CVV code on the back of debit/credit cards.

Here the official memo to all government agencies, instructing them to not request copies of the back of the ID card: https://www.dla.go.th/upload/document/type2/2013/5/12308_1.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

...As you might know it's childs play to generate an ID that follows the simple rules with checksum.

Can easily be generated...

Not simple enough for me, it seems. I used the simplest method of calculating the ckeck digit of a Thai ID card number and it did not work out.

There seem to be a variety of systems and I have no idea what system is used for the Thai ID card:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Check_digit?wprov=sfla1

On my last 2 visits to Korat Immigration in the last 6 months, I was told that the back of the Thai ID should not be copied as it contained sensitive information and that only the front should be copied. Going forward, I will only submit copies of the front of the ID. However, that said, knowing how things can change on a whim, I keep a copy of both the front and back with me just in case. For what it's worth. 

Give 'em whatever pleases them. It is of course absolute nonsense to copy copies, sign all that unnecessary destruction of wood with blue ink in duplicate, triplicate and Thailicate .......

They never ever look at the details but you've pleased their inferiority complex for your own peace of mind. 

Hence today I give 'em a complete set of whatever (and I always carry spare copy sets) of i.e. passport including blank unused pages and don't ever copy by using both sides of the paper. While it is not written in any law book and the publication in the Royal Gazette has not happened, the DLT insists on copies of everything but the back of the photocopies has to be empty. 

You're welcome - it's written in the bible "Lord, forgive them as they do not know what they are doing"! 

the place that photocopies always use back of other people's card, often the copier's own placed against the back of 'your' card

also that way there's no usable sensitive information 

the back of the card 'laser id' no. is used to sign up to lots of Thai government stuff from filing tax returns and lots of KYC measure with finance apps

On 3/26/2022 at 4:12 PM, 1FinickyOne said:

I'd go the extra baht just to be sure, but that's me... if you don't need the extra copy you can come back here and complain.

It could be done on the same A4 saving you 2 baht ????

• Thanks 1