Will Smith vs. Chris Rock: Real or staged?

2long

Do you think Will Smith vs. Chris Rock was staged?  

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Its not beyond the realms of possibility that some actors may cause a scene to get mass World wide publicity  and yo keep their name as a headline news 

That's true if no ones heard of them before. Jussie Smollett case in point. This was different and as obvious as the nose on ones face.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:
58 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It has never been a requirement that everyone has to show respect to another

What? Have you totally lost the plot? I just beg and pray that common sense tells you how bad that sounds.

It's not my problem how you feel about my sentiment there but I can assure you that there is something very wrong with people who claim that they blindly respect everyone else, without qualification.   

I respect people who I know and people who have earned my respect.  In the same way I understand that someone who does not know me cannot ever respect me and I would never expect their respect.

This assumes that the actual meaning of the word "respect" is understood, of course.

15 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I respect people who I know and people who have earned my respect.  In the same way I understand that someone who does not know me cannot ever respect me and I would never expect their respect.

This assumes that the actual meaning of the word "respect" is understood, of course.

Ok, below you have a part of what is included in the meaning of the word respect:

1. due regard for the feelings, wishes, or rights of others.
    "young people's lack of respect for their parents"
    synonyms:
    due regard · consideration. thoughtfulness, antentiveness, politeness, courtesy, civility, deference

As you clearly can see, included are thoughtfulness, politeness and courtesy. So, that makes me draw the conclusion that neither common courtesy, politeness nor thoughtfulness was given by Mr. Rock when he made his bad joke. So, if you do not think that is something that should be given to all, then there is naturally not any need to respect.

However, I will totally disrespect you in this case, and 100 % disregard what you believe about it. The reason is, that you apparently do not have a clue about the meaning of the word respect. ???? 
  • Haha 1

The slap appeared so theatrical that I initially thought it was staged. However, when Smith started with the F word I completely changed my mind. There's no way the hypocritical, puritanical Americans would ever allow language like that on their showpiece, family awards show.

(I say that because Americans have no problems depicting extreme violence, but get offended by coarse language or nudity on mainstream TV)

The incident shows how far out of reality some of these celebrity demi gods are. The whole Smith family consider themselves to be in a different world to the herd.

Oscar winners normally get a career boost, this lot may find their star fading after this.

• Like 2

The Oscars have become all but irrelevant.  But, all of these people ARE actors, so why not make a good show of it?  Stage it all.  So next year we can expect the Oscars to devolve into a Jerry Springer slug-fest. Their viewership will peak for sure just in expectation of another HiSo slap, punch, or cat-fight.  They can just rebrand the whole thing as MMA Oscar Night.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

I don't know how anyone could think it was staged?

Makes me wonder how gullible some people are with today's news and distorted social media points of view.

Bet you think Coca-Cola's announcing in 1985 they were stopping Coke, and replacing it with New Coke was real, too.....

No such thing as bad publicity. A brilliant marketing scheme that, even today, mainstream media believes true.

What a Gulla Bull, as Bugs would say.

• Confused 1

On 3/31/2022 at 10:03 AM, spidermike007 said:

in my opinion. I lost all respect for him. 

I lost all respect for him upon getting his son into Hollywood, passing him off as having any sort of acting ability, in that two hour waste of time space flick showcasing his blank staring and whining. Thank God it killed any hopes of a career he had. Denzel's son in Tenet, on the other hand, now there's a guy off to a good start.

stage or not and yes Smith will pay the price for a long time to come, i don't blame Smith for what did, i would do the same thing, you don't talk about another person wife in that manner joke or not, unless you're Ted Cruz that clown is hopeless.

20 minutes ago, vinci said:

stage or not and yes Smith will pay the price for a long time to come, i don't blame Smith for what did, i would do the same thing, you don't talk about another person wife in that manner joke or not, unless you're Ted Cruz that clown is hopeless.

Toxic masculinity.

Edited by Jingthing

3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It's not my problem how you feel about my sentiment there but I can assure you that there is something very wrong with people who claim that they blindly respect everyone else, without qualification.   

Some people confuse the word "respect" with "respectfully."

I think it is reasonable to treat everyone respectfully............ unless they've proven they deserve otherwise. (And even then, in social settings, they probably still should be. As my wise old dad used to say: "You can be polite to anyone, for 30 minutes or an hour!"  555)

But respect......... as you've pointed out......... is something that's earned.

Anyone who says "everyone deserves respect".......... doesn't---in my estimation---really understand what respect is. 

On the other hand, if they say "everyone deserves to be treated respectfully"............ now, THAT I can get on board with!

Cheers!

• Like 2

On the topic...........

I don't think it was staged.

The "GI Jane 2" joke was pretty funny and basically harmless. Jada Pinkett Smith......... having been very open about both her condition and her baldness........... probably wishes she had come up with the line herself! It's a good one!

Meanwhile, I so, so, SO wish I had been the presenter of the Best Actor Oscar later, cuz here's what I would have said after opening the envelope............

"God, I'm so glad he won. Otherwise, I mighta gotten slapped! Will Smith............."

(It absolutely woulda brought the house down! 555! )

Cheers!

• Haha 1

Definitely real, but I doubt the same could be said for Jada's condition. She had some hair fall out, a thin line of it, but it's grown back. Look at pictures of people with proper alopecia - big difference. Her's was not worth mentioning.

In any case, with a small bald patch like that, she could easily have covered it with her hair and no one would know anything about it - yet she actually shaved her head which would only show it off all the more! Hmmm. I suspect she may have pulled her hair out herself - trichotillomania - a common OCD in stressed-out women, and she shaved her head to prevent herself doing it again - and get some sympathy and attention to boot.

7 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

I lost all respect for him upon getting his son into Hollywood, passing him off as having any sort of acting ability, in that two hour waste of time space flick showcasing his blank staring and whining. Thank God it killed any hopes of a career he had. Denzel's son in Tenet, on the other hand, now there's a guy off to a good start.

His son may be the worst actor in a generation. A very questionable young man too. 

On 3/31/2022 at 4:19 PM, Hamus Yaigh said:

I don't know how anyone could think it was staged?

Makes me wonder how gullible some people are with today's news and distorted social media points of view.

Staged. 

Cite me just one example where an angry black man slapped rather than punched another black man.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

Staged. 

Cite me just one example where an angry black man slapped rather than punched another black man.

So all black men are the same and you've been.watching all of them. Brilliant.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/03/31/will-smith-slap-effect-black-people/

Opinion: Will Smith didn’t slap just Chris Rock

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, KanchanaburiGuy said:

Some people confuse the word "respect" with "respectfully."

I think it is reasonable to treat everyone respectfully............ unless they've proven they deserve otherwise. (And even then, in social settings, they probably still should be. As my wise old dad used to say: "You can be polite to anyone, for 30 minutes or an hour!"  555)

But respect......... as you've pointed out......... is something that's earned.

Anyone who says "everyone deserves respect".......... doesn't---in my estimation---really understand what respect is. 

On the other hand, if they say "everyone deserves to be treated respectfully"............ now, THAT I can get on board with!

Cheers!

I think the word respect should not even be used here.

Considering where it was said and at what event,expect to get roasted!

Maybe next time Ricky Gervais should be hired again to do it,he said he would not have made a joke about her hair but about her boyfriend!

Baldness in women?Bald jokes about guys have been told for ages!!!Welcome to equality!

Like some one else said,certain events should not be attended by the easily offended.

Edited by jvs

14 hours ago, Jingthing said:

So all black men are the same and you've been.watching all of them. Brilliant.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/03/31/will-smith-slap-effect-black-people/

Opinion: Will Smith didn’t slap just Chris Rock

Why are you overlooking the massive elephant in the room? Why on earth would Chris Rock take a shot at Jada?  Plenty of other things to poke fun at during the Oscars.  Under normal circumstances do you really think Rock would have teased (a friend) about her embarrassing medical condition.

The whole thing was entirely staged, perhaps the Academy was complicit, perhaps not, but rest assured it was just a desperate bid to stay relevant.

7 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

Why are you overlooking the massive elephant in the room? Why on earth would Chris Rock take a shot at Jada?  Plenty of other things to poke fun at during the Oscars.  Under normal circumstances do you really think Rock would have teased (a friend) about her embarrassing medical condition.

The whole thing was entirely staged, perhaps the Academy was complicit, perhaps not, but rest assured it was just a desperate bid to stay relevant.

It was a joke.

End of.

On 4/2/2022 at 12:40 PM, Adumbration said:

Staged 100%

"Will Smith said he had “betrayed the trust of the Academy” as he resigned from the organisation, following his “shocking, painful, and inexcusable” actions at the Oscars"

• Like 1