Would Normal Tourists Accept This?

KhaoYai

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Ultimately - a lot of the issue with the T&G hotel stems from the fact that communication from all of them is extremely poor - they could give a clearer time frame for tests. 

I agree but if the government states 6 hours then 6 hours it should be. I would allow a little lee-way but not 13 hours. The current rules do not allow for the hotels to stipulate the waiting period, if they did, guests could choose accordingly - people need to plan ahead.  They are trying to present a slick, streamlined system 'Test & Go' which it certainly is not.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:
3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Ultimately - a lot of the issue with the T&G hotel stems from the fact that communication from all of them is extremely poor - they could give a clearer time frame for tests. 

I agree but if the government states 6 hours then 6 hours it should be. I would allow a little lee-way but not 13 hours. The current rules do not allow for the hotels to stipulate the waiting period, if they did, guests could choose accordingly - people need to plan ahead.  They are trying to present a slick, streamlined system 'Test & Go' which it certainly is not.

As OneMoreFarang pointed out... the government (or according to the TAT poster you posted) arrivals have to stay a minimum of one night. 

You can’t have it both ways, flexibility at one facet and not another. 

This (below) is what my latest T&G hotel sent me regarding test / result timing.

People do need to plan ahead - on night in test & go, anything less is a bonus if you can see it that way. Or, pay the premium for 3 hr fast tracking of PCR result (at some hotels).

T&G is slick and streamlined for its purpose (done it enough times now), arriving under T&G I’m actually out of the airport more quickly, but thats more to do with less people at immigration and baggage comes more quickly. Perhaps the scrum in the arrivals hall is not as slick as it could be, thats no different really from the usual touts there. 

You got caught out because your expectation was greater than the reality based on a previous experience - Had you accepted you were going to have to stay 1 night, stayed in a decent hotel, your complaint would have been left to the fiascos at check-in in the UK, baggage handling in the UK.

The PCR result timing - 13 hrs is long and it could be quicker. What time did you take your test ?

Screenshot 2022-04-04 at 23.08.22.png

Around 3 - 3.15pm.  The hotel does not have slots as yours did - the hospital staff are there 24/7 based in the lobby. From around 11pm onwards each time I enquired I was told 1 more hour until at around 3am, I was handed a telephone and told by a lab technician that my result was inconclusive and would need to be run again.

Angry, I then went to reception and told them I was checking out and going to another hotel. The receptionist then phoned the labs and I was again handed a phone - this time, just 10 minutes later I was told my result was negative.  Complete fabrication, I know from the Randox labs in the UK that the minimum time to run a test is 40 minutes (after an initial 40 minute wait following sampling) yet they had run my test again in just 10 minutes?

Your hotel is quoting times well in excess of the government's stated time of 'within 6 hours'. There is no mention of fast tracking - just 6 hours. It doesn't say usually or around, it says within 6 hours.  This smacks of the usual Thai way where with immigration for example, there are a set of rules but each individual immigration office is allowed to make up its own.

However, had my hotel had such a list of timing slots, I would at least have had something to go by and either accept or not.

Again I state, most 'tourists' would be unaware of the pitfalls and potential waits - that was bourne out at my hotel by the number of people at reception asking where their results were - some had waited far longer than me. I suspect the hotel's problems are a direct result of them changing their hospital partner. On my first trip I was taken directly from the airport to the Piyavate hospital - labs on site, no waiting for swabs to be picked up.  That is probably one of the factors creating the long wait - I doubt they take individual swabs to the labs - probably take them in batches.

I don't think staying at a 'decent' hotel would necessarily make much difference, I've talked to people who've stayed at much more expensive hotels and had problems.

Whatever, I consider 13 hours to be excessive at over double the government's stated 6 hours.

• Like 2

On 4/5/2022 at 12:01 AM, richard_smith237 said:

1) A Test & Go guest does not have to stay the night - they stay until their hotel receives the negative PCR result....  So that part of the poster / picture is clearly wrong. 

2) The 6 hrs is the time frame given to the Lab to report to the hotel. Test may be collected in ‘batches’ then sent off to a lab for testing, then the lab reports the results to the hotel. The hotel reports the results to the guest - with some ‘chaff’ on either side there could be a bit of a delay - so that part of the poster / picture is misleading. 

The Ops complaint is that on his earlier T&G at the same hotel his PCR test was returned earlier and he could depart the hotel and not have to stay the night. 

The next time he stayed at the same T&G hotel (and I assume paid the same) the service had slowed and he was forced to stay the night as the hotel partnered up with a different (cheaper) hospital which took longer to issue the results. 

I think the op has a valid point to be dissatisfied with the shifting goal posts. 

Some people, like the OP, got lucky with everything falling into place on his first T&G but gets all upset when the second T&G doesn't follow exactly the same way. The first time I caught the airport express to Makkasan, I was was in my hotel room on Ratchadpisek 25  minutes after the aircraft's seatbelt sign turned off. I had to do this same trip over the following 5 weekends but I was under no illusion that this miraculous, perfect confluence of arrival on time, train on time and taxi availability would ever be repeated. It never was.

My experience in Thailand and in other countries is that the hotel and yourself may get test result notification same-day but the hotel won't necessarily have the necessary release paperwork ready straight away. You will note on the few posts where a visitor has tested positive, the time between being advised of this unfortunate event and being whisked away to a hospital or hospitel isn't quick either.

What part of the printed statement "stay at least one night" means the same as "check out as soon as advised of negative test result"? The OP doesn't know for a fact that the second T&G hotel "went cheap" but it handily fits his long-winded and unnecessarily disgruntled narrative.

You've paid for a room already so just get some sleep, check out with all the paperwork in the morning. What's the rush to get downtown any way? Unless the OP wants to check out the glass floor in Soi Cowboy BEFORE going home? Maybe he'll get lucky and  can do it next time.

With regard to the title of the thread: what is a normal tourist? There's no such thing as a normal tourist in these abnormal times. The pandemic is not over, ie. the WHO has not declared it as endemic. So there's no normal tourism and the goalposts will keep on moving.

You pay your money and you takes your chances.

YMMV

On 4/4/2022 at 8:39 PM, CG1 Blue said:

That's a great explanation and makes sense of how easily the baggage handling systems can get clogged up. 

If only the airports could make a simple announcement (saying sorry, we're short staffed or something) rather than let all the passengers stand there getting confused and angry. 

Thread by @velvetreignn, come fly with me characters ranked, a thread: 16.  john and terrywho? [...]

come fly with me

Edited by fondue zoo
  • Haha 1

On 4/3/2022 at 5:57 PM, KhaoYai said:

And add 6 hours to my journey? No thanks.

So you chose to hurry up and wait.

On 4/3/2022 at 5:57 PM, KhaoYai said:

Not true - note my comments about the Qatar business class check in.

Did you notice that there were probably more passengers queuing at the Business Class check in than there are Business Class seats?

As the seasoned traveler you claim to be, you would know that passengers with elevated frequent flier status don't always travel in Business Class. I check in at the Business Class desk when traveling on a Coach ticket because my 180,000 miles earned and gold card status says I can. It also gives me boarding priority so I can get my bags in the overhead and myself seated by the window before the great unwashed make a mess of things.

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

So you chose to hurry up and wait.

Did you notice that there were probably more passengers queuing at the Business Class check in than there are Business Class seats?

As the seasoned traveler you claim to be, you would know that passengers with elevated frequent flier status don't always travel in Business Class. I check in at the Business Class desk when traveling on a Coach ticket because my 180,000 miles earned and gold card status says I can. It also gives me boarding priority so I can get my bags in the overhead and myself seated by the window before the great unwashed make a mess of things.

I have had the benefits of Gold Card since 2008 so I am fully aware of how many people are usually in the premuim boarding queue. I have never seen 40+ people waiting in any premium boarding queue that I've ever been in.  The norm is 5 or 6 but quite often there is no queue whatsoever and the check in desk will often serve economy customers whilst waiting for premium guests.

You can't help yourself can you?  You just have to throw in a little quip like 'claim' to be.  I don't claim to be anything.  I've been travelling to Thailand since 2001. Since 2003 that has been mainly with Etihad and I estimate that I've put in over 150 flights.  That's more than most but less than some.  Its not a boast, its just a fact and a justification as to why I have probably seen more queues and experienced more flights than most members here.  There are clearly people who travel much more as I have never got close to Platinum status but I often see people with that status checking in.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NanLaew said:

My experience in Thailand and in other countries is that the hotel and yourself may get test result notification same-day but the hotel won't necessarily have the necessary release paperwork ready straight away.

There is no release paperwork other than the test result - the hotel is notified of the guest's status by way of the test result.  That is all that is required - the hotel simply uploads the result onto the system.  Once you have that cert, you're good to go.

• Like 2

On 4/4/2022 at 9:16 PM, richard_smith237 said:

As OneMoreFarang pointed out... the government (or according to the TAT poster you posted) arrivals have to stay a minimum of one night. 

But with respect - from the information your hotel gave you, you clearly don't have to stay one night. Even though they are well outside the 6 hour stipulation, with 'Slot 1' you're out by 8pm the same day and with 'Slot 2', you're out by midnight.

I accept that the information is confusing - saying you have to stay 1 night and that tests must be returned within 6 hours on the same page doesn't make any sense.

I think most of us that have used Test & Go and/or read reports on here, know that you don't actually have to stay one night - although you might if you arrive late enough or results aren't back.

Consider a 'genuine' tourist going through the Test & Go process and arriving late in the evening.  They would expect to stay overnight in the hotel, I would. But they would be entitled to believe that their test result would be waiting for them in the morning (within 6 hours) and may have booked onward travel accordingly.  And its tourists that my post is about.

Now, I know Thailand and I wouldn't rely on anything. I did in fact have a flight booked the next day - to Chiang Mai. I could have booked a much earlier flight but I left in until after lunch to be safe. However, people on holiday don't want to hang about, they want to start their holiday so might well have booked onward travel the morning after arrival. I would not be at all surprised if quite a few people have missed flights/buses etc. because of late test result.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2022 at 3:59 PM, KhaoYai said:

I have had the benefits of Gold Card since 2008 so I am fully aware of how many people are usually in the premuim boarding queue. I have never seen 40+ people waiting in any premium boarding queue that I've ever been in.  The norm is 5 or 6 but quite often there is no queue whatsoever and the check in desk will often serve economy customers whilst waiting for premium guests.

You can't help yourself can you?  You just have to throw in a little quip like 'claim' to be.  I don't claim to be anything.  I've been travelling to Thailand since 2001. Since 2003 that has been mainly with Etihad and I estimate that I've put in over 150 flights.  That's more than most but less than some.  Its not a boast, its just a fact and a justification as to why I have probably seen more queues and experienced more flights than most members here.  There are clearly people who travel much more as I have never got close to Platinum status but I often see people with that status checking in.

You can't help yourself can you?

Your "over 150 flights" that have been "mainly with Etihad" (and probably mostly back and forth to Thailand) is hardly an empirical indicator of the global air travel experience or how many people use the Premium check in for any given flight.

You need to get out more. Really.

• Sad 1

On 4/6/2022 at 4:25 PM, KhaoYai said:

There is no release paperwork other than the test result - the hotel is notified of the guest's status by way of the test result.  That is all that is required - the hotel simply uploads the result onto the system.  Once you have that cert, you're good to go.

It's still paperwork that needs to be printed.

On 4/6/2022 at 4:18 PM, KhaoYai said:

Yet again your post is more about trying to stamp your own 'knowledge' on things - attempted self importance.

And your contribution to these 5 pages (and counting) hasn't morphed from simple bad trip report into a repeated drone about your questionably torrid personal experience?

On 4/6/2022 at 4:18 PM, KhaoYai said:

I did not get 'all upset' about anything - maybe you just don't get it but most likely you don't want to as you'd then have no platform to spout from.

Your 43 (and counting) posts tells us otherwise.

Keep spouting.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

No, tourists will not accept all that nonsense. And that is why they are not coming, nor do they plan to come. Likely under 100,000 a month, in real numbers.

Agreed and half of those are probably people like myself who have connections to Thailand.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

I don't need to get out more, you need to learn how to back down when you're wrong - you are making yourself look ridiculous by scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Ridiculous? Your very own OP clearly states the sole reason you're perpetually flogging the dead horse of "would normal tourists accept this?"

On 4/3/2022 at 3:18 AM, KhaoYai said:

... I'll simply list my moans in chronological order.

You subsequently throw in other irrelevancies about a burglary and a sick sibling, all this to make it look like you, the self-professed worldly traveler, were stitched up like a kipper. You are a moaner, accept it.

You go on (and on) to suggest that the Thai authorities could do things better. So tell us how they could have made the cancellation of Qatar's previous day's flight out of MAN and the baggage handling fable that you also embellished your hard done by travelers tale with any better?

So you had a bad trip during Covid. Get over it.

56 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

You subsequently throw in other irrelevancies about a burglary and a sick sibling, all this to make it look like you, the self-professed worldly traveler, were stitched up like a kipper. You are a moaner, accept it.

More claptrap. How does having a burglary make me look like a 'worldy traveller' ? I mentioned that to explain why I have had to travel twice during the current restrictions - being the smartass you are, you could probably deal with that from 6000 miles away, I couldn't but I'm not about to discuss that further.

I am pretty sure that if I hadn't mentioned that, people like you would say I knew the restrictions and shouldn't have travelled.

56 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

You go on (and on) to suggest that the Thai authorities could do things better. So tell us how they could have made the cancellation of Qatar's previous day's flight out of MAN and the baggage handling fable that you also embellished your hard done by travelers tale with any better?

Any sane person would realise that I cannot hold the Thai authorities responsible for Qatar's failings. However, I do hold them responsible for:

Taking 6 days to approve a Test & Go application.

Failing to instruct Thai hotels regarding the testing rules.

Failing to ensure that Thai hotels instruct guests on what to do with their ATK.

Failing to provide a compulsory App that works correctly (MorChana)

With specific regard to 'normal' tourists - failing to allow entertainment venues that a great many tourists use to open. I am pretty sure that most tourists have no idea that many bars and clubs are closed. I'm also sure that you, as you are such a fine fellow will say they should have checked first.

Do the Thai authorities not have a vested interest in making sure things run smoothly?  Is 5 months not long enough for them to get their ducks in a row?

You just cannot put yourself in the shoes of a genuine tourist can you.

If you want to call me a moaner, that's fine - how I am thought about by an insignificant OAP is of no consequence to me..

You've now gone through the bottom of the barrel and are scraping cr ap off the floor.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

More claptrap. How does having a burglary make me look like a 'worldy traveller' ? I mentioned that to explain why I have had to travel twice during the current restrictions - being the smartass you are, you could probably deal with that from 6000 miles away, I couldn't but I'm not about to discuss that further.

I am pretty sure that if I hadn't mentioned that, people like you would say I knew the restrictions and shouldn't have travelled.

Any sane person would realise that I cannot hold the Thai authorities responsible for Qatar's failings. However, I do hold them responsible for:

Taking 6 days to approve a Test & Go application.

Failing to instruct Thai hotels regarding the testing rules.

Failing to ensure that Thai hotels instruct guests on what to do with their ATK.

Failing to provide a compulsory App that works correctly (MorChana)

With specific regard to 'normal' tourists - failing to allow entertainment venues that a great many tourists use to open. I am pretty sure that most tourists have no idea that many bars and clubs are closed. I'm also sure that you, as you are such a fine fellow will say they should have checked first.

Do the Thai authorities not have a vested interest in making sure things run smoothly?  Is 5 months not long enough for them to get their ducks in a row?

You just cannot put yourself in the shoes of a genuine tourist can you.

If you want to call me a moaner, that's fine - how I am thought about by an insignificant OAP is of no consequence to me..

You've now gone through the bottom of the barrel and are scraping cr ap off the floor.

I don't honestly know. You are the one that thought it prescient to introduce personal, non travel and otherwise irrelevant stuff on your own thread. And yet here you are, still hanging on my every word. Since you frequently preface your rants with 'any sane person', here's my take on some of your more pointless points.

What does the T&G website say about approval times? Does it say if nothing received after 5 days, one needs to run around like a headless chook?

Both my AQ and my single T&G hotels new exactly what to do. Then again, having lived here for decades and knowing what to expect and reading the emails and instructions, so did I. I didn't assume that what worked for me a few months previously would work again. Luckily for me, it all went swimmingly.

In all instances, my RTK instructions were clear, both spoken and written. A friend of mine traveling separately had to do his RTK at a hospital but he was told this was what he needed to do and, get this, that's what he did. Like myself he had no issues. Neither of us care what the hotel or hospital did or didn't do with our tests.

The only app of the 5 I have running on my phone that gives the appearance of doing what it says on the tin is the Malaysian one. Even the UK app was a disaster so Thailand isn't alone in having imperfect apps.

Why on earth would I put myself in the shoes of a "genuine" tourist? If they can't be bothered to read up on what's happening at their chosen destination, then I guess it's up to the likes of you to set the wrongs of "normal" tourist world right.

But it's all good. Good luck with making things better for normal tourists. You seem to have your finger on the pulse so make sure and let the normal tourists know when normal tourism returns. As for me and many others, I will have worked that one out by myself.

7 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Both my AQ and my single T&G hotels new exactly what to do. Then again, having lived here for decades and knowing what to expect and reading the emails and instructions, so did I. I didn't assume that what worked for me a few months previously would work again. Luckily for me, it all went swimmingly.

Then you are either lying or very lucky - there have been plenty of reports on here from people who were simply handed a plastic bag with the ATK in it.  The hotel staff on both of my visits and  indeed, both testing sites, had no idea that testing was supposed to be done within 6 hours.

I'm done providing you with something to brighten up what must be a very sad life - you are 100% correct in everything you say. I've got it totally wrong and all I've done is moan - along with all the other people that have had problems. That suit you?. Maybe its so bad I should delete the thread?  However, just have a re-read of the above quote from your post and have think about how that relates to a tourist - possibly on their first ever trip to Thailand.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Then you are either lying or very lucky - there have been plenty of reports on here from people who were simply handed a plastic bag with the ATK in it.  The hotel staff on both of my visits and  indeed, both testing sites, had no idea that testing was supposed to be done within 6 hours.

I'm done providing you with something to brighten up what must be a very sad life - you are 100% correct in everything you say. I've got it totally wrong and all I've done is moan - along with all the other people that have had problems. That suit you?. Maybe its so bad I should delete the thread?  However, just have a re-read of the above quote from your post and have think about how that relates to a tourist - possibly on their first ever trip to Thailand.

Don't feed the troll.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/4/2022 at 8:53 PM, KhaoYai said:

So how long is one night? 6, 8, 10 hours? Or the 13 hours I waited? The flyer says the 'Hospital Partner must report the result within 6 hours' - am I to ignore that? I don't how long a night is at your house but in mine it certainly isn't 13 hours. 

Travellers are required to book one night in a hotel and they must wait in their room for the result. What if you arrive after midnight? Does that mean you have to book the next night?

Test & Go has been running since November and its become widely accepted that you are free to go as soon as your results are in. Last time I stayed at that hotel, I arrived in the afternoon and was in a bar having a drink with a mate by 8.30pm.  The only difference was that the hotel has changed the 'Hospital Partner' and I suspect they did that in order to make more profit.

The Thai government issues rules, puts them in the Royal Gazette but it seems, forgets to instruct the hotels on the content of such rules - the hotel had never seen the 6 hour stipulation. Likewise on my previous visit, nobody told me where I could get my Day 7 PCR and on this trip I was simply handed an ATK with no instructions whatsoever.  Does the Thailand Pass approval give instructions on what to do next? Is there a list of testing sites on the MorChana App? That is, assuming you can get the damned thing to work in the first place.

Having connections to Thailand and reading this forum throughout the pandemic, I had a rough idea where to find a hospital that could accommodate the Day 7 PCR and I knew what to to with the ATK this time.............how many tourists would know those things? The whole Test & Go thing is a cock up and has been from the start. The only thing the Thai government is good at is turning what should be a quite simple process into a minefield.

People on holiday don't want to be spending hours trying to get information and they should be able to rely on the times given for their test results.  Remember, a great many tourists don't stay in Bangkok, they head off for other provinces or the islands. Are they not enitled to rely on the information given and book any onward travel accordingly?

Should they, possibly never having been to Thailand before, know that its likley their PCR test will take double the time stipulated?  My hotel told me when I arrived that it would be 12 hours - I showed them the flyer that stipulated 6 hours and they had some form of discussion about it - I don't know the outcome as I had to go for my test. I did tell them though, that I expected my results within 6 hours and I checked with them every hour after that.

Just try putting yourself in a tourist's shoes for a moment and forget what you have gleaned from this site. Most genuine tourists will never have heard of Asean Now.

The whole of Asia is slowly re-opening - if Thailand wants to regain its share of the tourist market, its going to have to get its ducks in a row.  I suspect that as with so many things - everything will change now and any forward thinking country will find it fairly easy to deprive Thailand of a fair proportion of the market.

They talk of attracting wealthy tourists - they couldn't even run a school trip.

Whilst I do agree with some of the points you are making, tourists making advance bookings, without knowing the test results aren't very bright. There is still some chance that your advance booking will not be enjoyed because you test positive. 

People should adapt and not whinge about being unable to make advanced bookings, that's a fact of life under test and go, because you won't be released so to speak if the test does not return negative. An easily understood concept. 

On 4/7/2022 at 8:52 PM, spidermike007 said:

No, tourists will not accept all that nonsense. And that is why they are not coming, nor do they plan to come. Likely under 100,000 a month, in real numbers.

And those developers around Sukhumvit are going to lose a fortune. 

Those are condos, not geared towards tourists. 

24 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

Whilst I do agree with some of the points you are making, tourists making advance bookings, without knowing the test results aren't very bright. There is still some chance that your advance booking will not be enjoyed because you test positive. 

???? I don't understand where you're coming from.  The test I'm refering to is the test you do on arrival in Thailand under the Test & Go scheme.  You do of course (at the moment) have to provide a negative test before you fly.  There is always a chance that anyone can test positive and their proposed holiday be wrecked - if nobody was going to take that chance, there would be no tourism at all.

I don't see how that relates to my post though.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

???? I don't understand where you're coming from.  The test I'm refering to is the test you do on arrival in Thailand under the Test & Go scheme.  You do of course (at the moment) have to provide a negative test before you fly.  There is always a chance that anyone can test positive and their proposed holiday be wrecked - if nobody was going to take that chance, there would be no tourism at all.

I don't see how that relates to my post though.

It relates to your remark about timely test turnout time and booking onward travel. If the test is positive  you won't travel anywhere but the hospital or a quarantine hotel. Surely this was obvious...

2 hours ago, sjaak327 said:

It relates to your remark about timely test turnout time and booking onward travel. If the test is positive  you won't travel anywhere but the hospital or a quarantine hotel. Surely this was obvious...

Well no, it wasn't but people do book onward travel - I am refering to normal tourists remember and they are staying for a sert amount of time. What else can they do?  I booked my onward travel in advance and I got the last room available at my chosed hotel - believe it or not, some areas of Thailand are very busy with domestic tourism, especially at weekends.  If you don't know a country, its neither sensible nor cost effective to book travel on the hoof.

Why would anyone who knows nothing about Thailand think that they should ignore a written instruction that test 'the hospital partner MUST report the results within 6 hours'?

Edited by KhaoYai