I got stopped by the police on my scooter

tethys

Hi All,

Yesterday there was a police stop in Jomtien, I got pulled over and I showed my international driving license that expired a few month. I also showed him my normal driving license.

I would need some help to understand what he could tell me because I'm not sure.

He wrote me a fine and told to go to the police to pay it but at the same time he told me there is no problem I can drive my motorbike.

Also he didn't put the amount to pay on the notice,  provided its a fine, so maybe, I hope, that I just have to report and not pay any fine. (Probably wishful thinking.) 

The "other" option box is ticked on the notice and something is written there in Thai. Maybe somebody could read it?

Thank you!

fine2022.jpg

Edited by tethys
  • Confused 2

OP, a couple of questions. Did you present a valid license from home country, that covers riding a bike.

Did they keep your license pending paying the fine ?

IDP is not a license, its a translation of your license that accompanies your license, and technically not required in Thailand if your license is in English etc.

An IDP can help the police understand you have a valid license etc, but presenting an expired one is not a great idea.

If they didnt hang on to your license, ignore it.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

Did you present a valid license from home country, that covers riding a bike.

Yes.

Did they keep your license pending paying the fine ?

What do you mean pending? They gave it back to me.

If they didnt hang on to your license, ignore it.

So if I dont go to the police station, what will happen? Can they hit me with a higher fine at the airport when I leave?

Edited by tethys

1 minute ago, Dave Aarons said:

Rather than worry about a small fine, what you should be concerned about is the fact that without a Licence, your Insurance is invalid.

Imagine the cost of repairing someone's Mercedes, or worse, a large hospital bill for someone you injure.

A Thai Licence costs a few hundred baht and can be done in one day.

Yep, thats a very good advice. Ill try to get a Thai license.

1 hour ago, Captain Monday said:

An expired Intl driving permit and your "normal driving license"? From your country?

Sorry, yes from my country, not Thai license.

Edited by tethys

What "insurance" are people talking about?  I'm not aware of being able to insure a scooter except the Thai's that rent them.

I ride a big bike and have 1st class insurance on that, but the company would not insure a scooter.  

I do have the Gov minimum insurance that you must pay for prior to paying your yearly tax.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave Aarons said:

Rather than worry about a small fine, what you should be concerned about is the fact that without a Licence, your Insurance is invalid.

Imagine the cost of repairing someone's Mercedes, or worse, a large hospital bill for someone you injure.

A Thai Licence costs a few hundred baht and can be done in one day.

Highly unlikely there is any insurance on the bike to cover damage to others, license or not.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Not true, government minimum insurance pays out no matter what, assuming you purchased it.

True, but limited amount and limited to bodily injury and death only.

• Like 2