Some bug attacked my wall skirting?

ElephantEgo

What bug attacked my wall skirting? And what are the general things people tend to do for protecting their house form bugs such as spraying by a professional company every few months? Or buying some equipment on Lazada to do that oneself?

I'm not sure what condition they are in -- but my house actually has pipes under it for sending some big sprays into. I previously never heard of it -- what is the lowdown on such things?

(Sorry if this belongs better in another forum -- I am referring to a home based in Phuket)

276176353_1201259250710411_7018503536793953879_n.jpg

Edited by JakeR

The big concern are termites and they are often controlled by liquid spray into underground pipes to kill before come into home - but if already in home that will have to be taken care of also.  Believe it is normally hunt and spray rather than the tenting using is other countries.  This is a professional operation - not DIY.  Our bug killer ceased operations and became a monk due to regrets for killing the critters.  

The fact you have pipes indicates a previous problem.

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 2

Buy some bulk borax powder in bulk on shopee or lazada.  Google how to dilute it warm water with sugar.  Then spray all of the effected areas.  That will buy you some time with the immediate infestation but as others have suggested you then need professional help.

Chandrite is the chemical that is usually used in the pipes you have described.

• Like 2

The cupboards, kitchen units, wardrobes etc in my condo were made of MDF. Termites love it. Avoid MDF .!!  I used a variety of powders to slow down their eating habits. I removed whole units of furniture and then sold the condo. 

• Like 1

You have termites mate. This is how mine started. I tried home tteatments and then went to the UK for 4 months. When I came back the house was infested. I had to replace all the kitchen cupboards. You need to get the house professionally treated. Most Thai companies are once a month. I live outside Pattaya and I use a Farang company much better 3 or 4 times a year. If you are in Pattaya I can put you in touch. Dont pay more than 8k a year.

• Like 1

These termites are everywhere in Thailand that's why I prefer to rent than buy a house here. Sometimes the termites have a mound near the house where they tunnel in, the guys are right, get people in that know what they are doing. A friend of mine had very large amounts of termites in her house and she had to get a team in from Chiang Mai city more than 150 km away to do a good job.

2 hours ago, jippytum said:

I recommend a professional company like RENOKILL to deal with the problem .Spraying at open locations only increases activity in the nest .

I think you mean Rentokil? Or is that a Phuket only local company......:smile:

3 hours ago, jimn said:

You have termites mate. This is how mine started. I tried home tteatments and then went to the UK for 4 months. When I came back the house was infested. I had to replace all the kitchen cupboards. You need to get the house professionally treated. Most Thai companies are once a month. I live outside Pattaya and I use a Farang company much better 3 or 4 times a year. If you are in Pattaya I can put you in touch. Dont pay more than 8k a year.

We pay 6000 pa for monthly bug spraying which also gets rid of cockroaches. City Hall seem to have stopped mosquito misting but we have families of gheckos and ever hungry fish to deal with them 

50 minutes ago, chilly07 said:

We pay 6000 pa for monthly bug spraying which also gets rid of cockroaches. City Hall seem to have stopped mosquito misting but we have families of gheckos and ever hungry fish to deal with them 

Yes I pay a bit more than that but also includes monthly fogging/misting and an annual fill of the pipes under the house. Cross fingers up to now has been worth it........

I hadn't realised termites eat MDF.  I have installed a western style kitchen 4 years ago and its almost certainly MDF.  I haven't had a problem yet - is there anything I can do as a preventative measure?

Okay I will replace this skirting with a non-wood one and get some professionals to assess my house and start some treatments. Thanks everyone.

Apart from Rentokil are any other companies recommended in Phuket?

For 6-8k per year, that easily will pay for itself considering the amount of damage that would be done!

Edited by JakeR

6 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

I hadn't realised termites eat MDF.  I have installed a western style kitchen 4 years ago and its almost certainly MDF.  I haven't had a problem yet - is there anything I can do as a preventative measure?

Some MDF is treated to reduce risk from termites, but it's not 100% effective.  You can have regular insecticide spray treatment of the exposed MDF to prevent infestation.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

spacer.png

Spray when no one is home and then go for a coffee somewhere. Available in 7Eleven/BigC mni etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kinnock said:

Some MDF is treated to reduce risk from termites, but it's not 100% effective.  You can have regular insecticide spray treatment of the exposed MDF to prevent infestation.

I take it its the back of the MDF that is at risk and not the gloss (foiled) side?  Extremely difficult to get to most of those parts but I'll try, thanks.

22 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

I take it its the back of the MDF that is at risk and not the gloss (foiled) side?  Extremely difficult to get to most of those parts but I'll try, thanks.

Yes, the plastic finish will give some protection.  They tend to bore in via the open ends and joints.  

You want an insecticide with a 'residual' capability ..... often quoted as 3 or 6 months.

Edited by Kinnock

On 4/7/2022 at 1:01 PM, chilly07 said:

Yes that horrible smelling stuff the Thais use and monthly as well. The guy I use I pay 8,000 and he comes 4 times a year. The treatment is oderfree is the best from Australia and beats the dangerous Thai treatment hands down. We also are totally ant free.

Edited by jimn

15 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

spacer.png

Spray when no one is home and then go for a coffee somewhere. Available in 7Eleven/BigC mni etc.

I second your recommendation, although we don't have a termite problem I use

Chaindrite for all bug problems, the powder is also very good.

7 hours ago, jimn said:

Yes that horrible smelling stuff the Thais use and monthly as well. The guy I use I pay 8,000 and he comes 4 times a year. The treatment is oderfree is the best from Australia and beats the dangerous Thai treatment hands down. We also are totally ant free.

Please give us more details in order for these comments to be helpful?

Whose the guy? What does he use? What are you referring to about the Thais using something more dangerous/smelly/often?

This is might be great info if you can simply unpack a bit further please!

By the way, today I had a guy from Rentokil visit and assess.... super interesting to discuss with him and see whats going on.

11 hours ago, JakeR said:

Please give us more details in order for these comments to be helpful?

Whose the guy? What does he use? What are you referring to about the Thais using something more dangerous/smelly/often?

This is might be great info if you can simply unpack a bit further please!

By the way, today I had a guy from Rentokil visit and assess.... super interesting to discuss with him and see whats going on.

All I can tell you is I use a guy who uses safe chemicals which kill the bugs, its from Australia and he comes 3 to 4 times a year. A few houses in my community use the Thai method which is done monthly. It has a strong chemical odour and doesnt kill the termites just keeps them away, thats why its done monthly. No way do I want them spraying my house and garden monthly. As a general rule if its done monthly its not as good.

On 4/9/2022 at 10:12 AM, jimn said:

All I can tell you is I use a guy who uses safe chemicals which kill the bugs, its from Australia and he comes 3 to 4 times a year. A few houses in my community use the Thai method which is done monthly. It has a strong chemical odour and doesnt kill the termites just keeps them away, thats why its done monthly. No way do I want them spraying my house and garden monthly. As a general rule if its done monthly its not as good.

Would you mind to ask if they have their services available in Phuket or can refer to anyone?

14 hours ago, JakeR said:

Would you mind to ask if they have their services available in Phuket or can refer to anyone?

You can ask. I know he has a partner operating in the South. Contact details are Chris at Termite Tech 0822071959. Tell him Jim gave you his number.