Thai Airways Adds Boeing 777-300ERs to Meet Increasing Demand

webfact

ef06afe2643ed556c13d1e8f58cfb235_small.png

by Krajangwit Johjit

BANGKOK (NNT) - To meet the increasing demand for flights after the easing of travel restrictions, Thai Airways International (THAI) will add three Boeing 777-300ERs to its fleet by the end of this month.

Thai Airways has announced the lease of three Boeing 777-300ERs for its Bangkok-London route, in order to increase capacity and meet rising demand following the lifting of travel restrictions in most countries.

According to the airline, two aircraft arrived in Thailand on Wednesday (6 Apr), while the remaining one will be delivered by the end of this month.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

The three aircraft will join Thai Airways’ current fleet of 58 planes to provide flight services while the company undergoes financial rehabilitation. According to the airliner, the aircraft lease payment will be power-by-the-hour agreements for the time being. Later phases will see negotiations to adjust payment to reflect the company’s current situation.

The new 777-300ERs are expected to enter service by the end of this month.

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2022-04-08

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

20 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

Very odd, owe millions of dollars, trying to sell stacks of planes and many parked up not used and with passenger levels about 10% of 3 years ago and they want to get further in debt by buying more? seems insane, or as they say is there more to this story which cannot be gone into!

Nothing new here, TG always operated in a fog of business, are they profitable, are they losing money? selling or buying planes? but like the methodological phoenix, its always manged to rise from its own ashes and ruins...

The leases for the three brand new B777 were arranged in 2018 and finalized in 2020. So business as usual complying with contractual agreements.

These are the first B777 with first class seating, so chasing those 8 quality tourists ????

https://www.airfinancejournal.com/articles/3581522/exclusive-boc-aviation-agrees-777-300er-leases

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, ChrisY1 said:

Are all these aircraft going into regular services....? Check out the aircraft registration...interesting!

I wanted to make a similar point, but you did a much better job than I could.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, clivebaxter said:

Very odd, owe millions of dollars, trying to sell stacks of planes and many parked up not used and with passenger levels about 10% of 3 years ago and they want to get further in debt by buying more? seems insane, or as they say is there more to this story which cannot be gone into!

Well the OP does suggest some leasing arrangement, not purchase. Pity there isn't enough traffic to dust off the A380s.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ChrisY1 said:

Are all these aircraft going into regular services....? Check out the aircraft registration...interesting!

Why is it interesting? Pic shows registration HS-TTA. The aircraft registration code for Thailand is HS so the registration number is as expected (maybe you're mixing it up with the TG flight code?)

32 minutes ago, Excel said:

They ordered it to meet demand from whom ? ????

Exactly. 

Their numbers have been consistently dropping for a least a decade. 

The reflective reasoning is obvious - with the exception of the Thai Airways high executive circle who continue to exist in such a fanciful manner. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JoePai said:

Why not use one of their 'parked' 777's - or even an A380 if (as they say) the demand is there ?

Maybe the outstanding maintenance on the aircraft parked up isn't up to flying standard, easier to lease 3 more that are serviceable?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Maybe the outstanding maintenance on the aircraft parked up isn't up to flying standard, easier to lease 3 more that are serviceable?

Aircraft have arrived in fulfillment of an order placed in 2020.

Claims that they have been leased, out of neccessity, to cope with a current, "Better than ever", demand, is pure, hyperbolic........"spin".

All that is happening is a re-establishment of previous baseline demand.

There is really nothing peculiar, controversial or "encouraging" about their arrival at this moment.

A Non-story, born out of a coincidence.

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Enoon said:

Aircraft have arrived in fulfillment of an order placed in 2020.

Claims that they have been purchased to cope with current, "new dawn", re-growth in demand is pure hyperbole.

There is really nothing peculiar, controversial or "encouraging" about their arrival at this moment.

A Non-story, born out of a coincidence.

So many other companies called up their Force Majeure clause to extract themselves from pre-covid contractual obligations i.e. the leasing of new air-craft. 

Thus: Thailand had an out, unless of corse the aircraft lease has been paid upfront. 

Other rumours may hold water... It is the only explanation I can see for such a defiance of financial logic. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JoePai said:

Why not use one of their 'parked' 777's - or even an A380 if (as they say) the demand is there ?

It may be that the costs of bringing any aircraft they own out of storage (especially if they have been less than assiduous in maintaining them which parked up) is less than simply leasing fresh aircraft.

• Like 2

During the Phuket Sandbox Thai started directing some of their LHR-BKK flights to HKT instead, but the return still had to be via BKK. However, you can now also do the return HKT-LHR direct - I am booked for October.

Maybe they decided that they want to keep this route indefinitely (they are promoting Phuket heavily on their website) but also go back to the pre-Covid schedules for the LHR-BKK flights.

And maybe they are planning to do the same with other European routes such as Frankfurt?

Another maybe - some travelers, myself included, would increasingly rather avoid transiting the usual Middle Eastern hubs to get to Phuket.

Edited by London Lowf

50 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

It may be that the costs of bringing any aircraft they own out of storage (especially if they have been less than assiduous in maintaining them which parked up) is less than simply leasing fresh aircraft.

I meant of course, cheaper to lease new than refurbish those in store.

Having read the thread more carefully I can see the argument about fulfilling a specific requirement!

Edited by herfiehandbag

I don't understand that this is new isn't this aircraft from mid 90s or maybe its only new in the fleet to Thai Airways????? Maybe not with Thai Airways even if I regularly used Thai Airways abroad twice a year before Covid-19 hit, but I think I previously have been in similar aircraft both with KLM and Finnair however I don't pay to much attention if its called 200ER or 300LR when flying.????

Felt

• Like 1

If they had looked after their beautiful A340's instead of just leaving them to rot they could have used them as at least 2 European carriers are doing.

On of the best aircraft Thai ever owned & because they had an ultra long haul layout perfect for any flight over 10 hours.

Flown at ultimate settings fuel burn is not that much greater