Food hoax ends in smiles for handicapped delivery guy

webfact

4pm.jpg

Sanook Thai Caption: Respect one another

Sanook went to investigate near a well known mall in Chonburi where they found a Grab delivery rider in floods of tears.

Asked what the problem was there was not the normal response. Worawut Ekkaphol, 37, is deaf and unable to speak.

His friend Sunthorn came along to help with signing and translations and explained that Worawut had received a food order at 10 am yesterday that came to 2,951 baht.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

But when he got to the place of delivery there was no answer to calls or messages and by noon Worawut realized he'd been hoaxed. 

However, the story had a happy ending after former local councillor Pasakorn Hormhuan heard of the handicapped man's plight and bought all the food for 3,000 baht.

That put a big smile on Worawut's face.

Health insurance plans that meet the long stay visa requirements

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-04-13

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, new2here said:

i would have made it programmatic that orders: a) over X price must be prepaid, or b) orders from phone numbers/users with a history of unpaid orders require pre-payment … i think those two would be fair restrictions…

I might also have a cap on the drivers liability..

Some drivers just cancel the order when it’s that much… they say they can’t cover it.  

Others ask for a private trx toi cover the cost, too risky, I won’t do that. 

Best option is Grab has credit card payment - works fine & avoids the issue. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rwill said:

The only answer to this is for the companies make the customers pay as they order instead of giving them the choice of paying then or on delivery.

That wouldn't work in Thailand.  The customer would pay with credit card, and the delivery driver would eat the food, on the beach, with his friends, with a bottle of lao khao.  ????

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Leaver said:

That wouldn't work in Thailand.  The customer would pay with credit card, and the delivery driver would eat the food, on the beach, with his friends, with a bottle of lao khao.  ????

Sure, you keep telling yourself that

• Like 1

Just now, PremiumLane said:

Sure, you keep telling yourself that

He was making a joke, hence the smiling emoji.

And before you climb your horse too high :

Would you bet $100 that this wouldn't /couldn't ever happen here? Of course you wouldn't.

8 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

I've been in Thailand too long as I now never automatically believe any story, and also question if someone is really handicapped, having been taken for 10 baht by a blind singer that jumped into a tuktuk and drove away. 

Which has no specific revelance to Thailand, it could happen anywhere in any country.

16 hours ago, Leaver said:

erm... thats exactly how it works. 

ALL of my food deliveries via Grab are ‘cashless’ paid by a registered credit card. 

Order food online (GrabApp), Restaurant receives the order, GrabRider accepts the delivery. 

Restaurant receives money from Grab (directly), GrabRider receives their delivery fee from Grab (directly). 

7 hours ago, RocketDog said:

He was making a joke, hence the smiling emoji.

And before you climb your horse too high :

Would you bet $100 that this wouldn't /couldn't ever happen here? Of course you wouldn't.

Can't tell on this forum, it is boomer heaven.

Yeah, I would... but of course it could happen, anything can, but it is hardly rampant is it? Now, don't climb your horse too high either ???? 

Edited by PremiumLane
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

erm... thats exactly how it works. 

ALL of my food deliveries via Grab are ‘cashless’ paid by a registered credit card. 

Order food online (GrabApp), Restaurant receives the order, GrabRider accepts the delivery. 

Restaurant receives money from Grab (directly), GrabRider receives their delivery fee from Grab (directly). 

That wooshing sound is the sound of sarcasm going over your head.  ????  (note the emoji)