Is hospital free for Thai people?

organicman

I was always told that Thai hospitals are free for Thai people close to home. My girlfriend's sister just had a car accident close to home where my girlfriend is saying that the hospital isn't free and they have to pay. I've been ask to donate. No bones broken, just stitches. Don't Thais for get medical in Thailand? 

Edited by organicman

Often its free but only where they are registered.

So if they end up in a different hospital you have to pay.

Rule nr 1 only donate if you want too. Don't feel you need to. There is no reason not to donate if you want to help.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, robblok said:

Often its free but only where they are registered.

So if they end up in a different hospital you have to pay.

Rule nr 1 only donate if you want too. Don't feel you need to. There is no reason not to donate if you want to help.

I'm now told that Thais pay for a gold card (Medical) but it doesn't including all medical problems. What does it include? Can Thais have 2 Gold cards?

Edited by organicman

Whatever you been told probably not correct. I know at least 3 blokes back home sent tens of thousands to gf's for medical procedures. They have free medical here. Well it costs them 30 baht. They have to be in their registered area and they of course have to go on a waiting list. This is a government hospital I am referring to. And accidents are also a different matter, covered by govt registration I believe. Private they pay of course unless covered by work which many are. My first wife had a baby and multiple treatments in a govt hospital last 5 years all free including hospital issued meds. We paid for upgraded room (1200 per night) and surgeon of our choice. Current GF bike accident had 2 major operations last 3 years..and one booked for May....all free. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dmaxdan said:

If you're GF's sister has been involved in a car accident then her vehicle's insurance policy should cover basic medical costs.

That's presuming that they have car insurance, not everyone here thinks it's necessary...

Govt compulsary tax / insurance covers basic costs for govt hospital up to 30k I think. Anything over that gets covered by the 30 baht free govt medical. Not 100% sure if vehicle tax not current but I think they are still covered by free govt if no tax / insurance paid on vehicle. For what its worth I was assured foreigners also covered under compulsary tax / insurance up to 30k thb

• Confused 1

57 minutes ago, organicman said:

car accident

It seems for Thai hospital that makes a huge difference.

As far as I know (and I might be wrong)

If a person i.e. walks and falls down then it is free for this person. If the person works then the company pays for government health insurance. And if the person is not employed then there is the 30 baht scheme. In both cases the patient doesn't pay.

But if a person gets injured in an accident with a vehicle which should have an insurance then, it seems, the above insurances will not pay. Then the hospital wants money from the vehicle insurance. And if the vehicle in the accident didn't have an insurance then this is a problem.

At least that is how I understand how this works.

• Thanks 1

We do have universal health care here but it's definitely multi tiered in terms of quality of care with those with connections of one type or other getting preferential treatment.      Plenty of people die waiting for treatment because of long (but free) surgery queues for major procedures.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The best 'niche' to be in here in my experience is to be insured, have a regular GP, and if you do need something major taken care of, the fact that you are insured gets you in the 'faster' queue and your (presumably) positive relationship with your GP or particular hospital will allow them to push some of the costs onto the universal health coverage and in the end you'll be out of pocket in minimal amounts.   

15 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

The gold card covers all medical problems. There are a small number of expensive imported drugs and medical devices not covered but that is unlikely to be relevant to an accident.

Easily 90 - 95% of what a person would need, for any condition, is covered.

No need for 2 Gold cards and no, a person cannot have 2. Would nto accomplish anything.

In the case of a car accident, the mandatory insurance pays. If the car at fault was uninsured there is a special fund for that.

The whole story sounds very doubtful. And the story will likely keep changing every time you ask a new question or counter with a newly learned fact. Believe me, I see a lot of this on these boards.

By the way, the cost of "just stitches" at a government hospital would be a few hundred baht at most.

What does the Gold Card cost please?   (For my Thai GF and her kids)

Edited by KannikaP

21 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It seems for Thai hospital that makes a huge difference.

As far as I know (and I might be wrong)

If a person i.e. walks and falls down then it is free for this person. If the person works then the company pays for government health insurance. And if the person is not employed then there is the 30 baht scheme. In both cases the patient doesn't pay.

But if a person gets injured in an accident with a vehicle which should have an insurance then, it seems, the above insurances will not pay. Then the hospital wants money from the vehicle insurance. And if the vehicle in the accident didn't have an insurance then this is a problem.

At least that is how I understand how this works.

Pretty much correct in my experience. Its all usually just a paperwork kerfuffle tho. In my gf case involved work insurance (even tho she didnt work there anymore) govt tax insurance and free medical. And as someone mentioned you get what you pay for (or can afford). They totally botched wife's leg. Bad scars too. Just totally uncaring and careless. I heard for a tonsillectimy they slit ur throat rather than do it through the mouth. And we probably all seen the scars they leave after a cesarean

16 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

What does the Gold Card cost please?   (For my Thai GF and her kids)

It does not cost anything, and every Thai knows this.

It is also not necessary to get a card (the term "Gold Card" is outdated). They simply register at the government hospital which covers the place where they are listed ina tabian ban. Thefirst tiem they register they will need to show their ID cards/tabian bans.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Heng said:

The best 'niche' to be in here in my experience is to be insured, have a regular GP, and if you do need something major taken care of, the fact that you are insured gets you in the 'faster' queue and your (presumably) positive relationship with your GP or particular hospital will allow them to push some of the costs onto the universal health coverage and in the end you'll be out of pocket in minimal amounts.   

The Thai government system does not allow for a regular GP. You are treated by whomever is on duty at the hospital (or health center) in question at the time. There is no GP system such as is found in many countries.

My wife is a doctor(govt' and private mostly) - if it's standard, she wouldn't have to pay. In the event of car accidents etc, govt hospitals also try to get money from the insurer.

What maybe the case is she asked for a private room, or an upgrade on the basic treatment.

24 minutes ago, Pmbkk said:

My wife is a doctor(govt' and private mostly) - if it's standard, she wouldn't have to pay. In the event of car accidents etc, govt hospitals also try to get money from the insurer.

What maybe the case is she asked for a private room, or an upgrade on the basic treatment.

Does not sound like she was even admitted. ("No bones broken, just stitches").

I think they are just trying it on with the OP.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Basically correct except that there is a fund for victims of an accident where an uninsured vehicle was at fault (or the other vehicle got away and is unknown). The hospitals know how to apply for this.

Occasionally a hospital finance office is lazy and wants to avoid having to claim from vehicle insurance, or - even more so - fro the fund for uninsured victims, and may try to collect from the patient. In that instance, hold firm, refuse to pay and tell them to get it from the insurer or fund.

in any case since what is described can't have been moire than a few hundred baht the whole story seems doubtful.

We get dozens of these each year, Starts with GF asking for money for a (supposed) medical bill (which may or may not actually exist). When the target benefactor, instead of shelling out, comes back with "But medical care is free for Thais" they then make up a story as to why it is not in this particular case. If that is then challenged, they will offer up a new version of the story, and the whole business will not stop until they either get the money or the person being asked for it puts their foot done.

Not infrequently, no such medical expense ever existed. Either whole story faked, or medical care was free.

Thanks for your information!

Do you know the legal and real life situation about compensation for accidents? 

Before Covid my gf's father was hit by a motorcycle in the village from a guy without driver license and without insurance.

Her father is old and does not work anymore. As far as I remember he didn't have to pay for his hospital treatment. I think it was "for free".

But then I remember they talked about a compensation because her father was for some time in hospital and then had difficulties walking. I think they agreed that the family of the bad driver paid maybe 50,000B to him or something like that.

I was never asked for money and my gf does things like this without my input, so I don't know much about it.

So how is that situation legally? Does the person who is responsible for the accident and injury have to pay a compensation? How much? And what happens if he doesn't pay or can't pay?

Thanks

Just now, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks for your information!

Do you know the legal and real life situation about compensation for accidents? 

Before Covid my gf's father was hit by a motorcycle in the village from a guy without driver license and without insurance.

Her father is old and does not work anymore. As far as I remember he didn't have to pay for his hospital treatment. I think it was "for free".

But then I remember they talked about a compensation because her father was for some time in hospital and then had difficulties walking. I think they agreed that the family of the bad driver paid maybe 50,000B to him or something like that.

I was never asked for money and my gf does things like this without my input, so I don't know much about it.

So how is that situation legally? Does the person who is responsible for the accident and injury have to pay a compensation? How much? And what happens if he doesn't pay or can't pay?

Thanks

It is completely a matter for negotiation, there are no set rules. A person "has" to pay only if the matter went to court and the court so ordered.  That  costs a lot and takes a long time.

Often the police will "facilitate" such negotiations. Or sometimes a village leader or elder will do so.

7 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

It is completely a matter for negotiation, there are no set rules. A person "has" to pay only if the matter went to court and the court so ordered.  That  costs a lot and takes a long time.

Often the police will "facilitate" such negotiations. Or sometimes a village leader or elder will do so.

Thanks! Any idea about the numbers?

I.e. 5k for scratch and 100k for a lost leg?

Road traffic accidents victims are not treated free at a government hospital even if you are registered at it. Hence why one has to have compulsory 'Por Ror Bor' insurance. Pure and simple innit?.

Edited by IvorBiggun2

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks! Any idea about the numbers?

I.e. 5k for scratch and 100k for a lost leg?

Like everything here it is going to depend greatly on the people involved, their socio-economic status and "clout".

He fell asleep driving back to Bangkok and drove off the road. He didn't hit any other vehicles where the car flipped twice. He doesn't have car insurance. 

My other quesiton is, if Thais have free health care, is it anywhere in Thailand? I hear it's only in their Province? 

28 minutes ago, organicman said:

He fell asleep driving back to Bangkok and drove off the road. He didn't hit any other vehicles where the car flipped twice. He doesn't have car insurance. 

My other quesiton is, if Thais have free health care, is it anywhere in Thailand? I hear it's only in their Province? 

1.  it is at the hospital where they are registered accordinng to their place of residence but in an emergency it can be any government hospital.

2. however as explained elsewhere in this thread, injuries due to car accidents cone under different rules and muct be paid by the insurance which is mandatory.

One cannot register a vehicle without at least the minimum cover required by law.

Are you saying this person was driving an unregistered car?