my bank and my tax returns ..problems

hello i try to keep this brief.

i lived and worked in France many years closed down due to covid took early retirement..lived permanent in thailand for years ..

im English .i hold a British passport  not french i dont have an address in france ..But i do get a small as in is it worth it Small pension and i still have a bank account there 

Why is the reason im having to fill out a French tax form is it because of the pension that is so tiny and no tax could ever be paid on it 

Or is it because i have a bank account there 

the french authority wants to know everything stuff that should not concern them as i said im not french 

one small problem i have is my x has been doing my returns id never seen one till this year she has declared my bank in UK France and 1 in Thailand  problem is i have another bank account where i keep my 400.000 visa money never been declared im afraid that if i put it down on this years ill get a fine for the years that i had not..or do i just not declare it 

What is the thing with thailand and sharing my information would the French possible find out ive heard its 1.500 for each account not declared or up to 10.000 euro ...im not sure here what to do i lived and worked there these Barstewards are ruthless sorry for it running on a bit any help appreciated tks

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Yes.

Especially if its more than $10,000.

That comes under international money laundering, permit me to doubt the OP is engaged in that, or he would be transferring said amount.

He is talking about 400K he is holding in a bank in Thailand. Nothing to do with transfers.

I have 3 bank accounts in Thailand. If I did not report them to Centrelink in Australia, IMO they would not know they existed.

• Like 1

I am a French national, get a small pension [two actually] and have an active bank account in France. Once I "settled" here, in Thailand, I sent a letter to my Tax office to inform them of my change of status, fully paid my dues up to my date of departure and that was it.

I don't have PAYE tax on my pensions, other than I tiny health insurance deduction, which is fine as it entitles me to the national health insurance and allows be to join the  CFE, if I had to.

14 hours ago, Lacessit said:

If it has not been declared before, why should you declare it now? Do you think the Thai authorities share banking information with the French? That's as probable as the CIA sharing information with Putin.

Unless you have major assets in France that can be frozen, I would not worry about it. You are overthinking the situation.

They do under CRS (introduced last year, started this year).

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Jenkins9039 said:

They do under CRS (introduced last year, started this year).

True, permit me to doubt it has flowered fully in Thailand. It calls on financial institutions be be doing certain things in common, that does not mean they are.

30 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

True, permit me to doubt it has flowered fully in Thailand. It calls on financial institutions be be doing certain things in common, that does not mean they are.

You can doubt it all you want. But that doesn't change the fact they are sharing your information to the foreign tax agencies of CRS member countries  It requires very little work for a bank to pull all the foreign account holders information and send a file with your name, passport number and account information to the appropriate parties.

Account disclosure won't hurt the bank, and not doing that might risk punishment. So which do you think they will do?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

I am a French national, get a small pension [two actually] and have an active bank account in France. Once I "settled" here, in Thailand, I sent a letter to my Tax office to inform them of my change of status, fully paid my dues up to my date of departure and that was it.

I don't have PAYE tax on my pensions, other than I tiny health insurance deduction, which is fine as it entitles me to the national health insurance and allows be to join the  CFE, if I had to.

Why do the French treat their expats so much better than the UK?

I have paye deductions on all my pensions and am still told I can't use the NHS unless I intend to permanently reside in the UK.

Coupled with an entirely unnecessary and expensive Brexit and having to put up with a government of clowns who are more right wing than Le Penn let this be a warning to all French presidential voters this Sunday. And I haven't forgotten that french expats in Thailand were vaccinated by their embassy whereas the UK ambassador said he wasn't the NHS- And that the French embassy still issues income letters whereas the UK Embassy refuses 

Edited by chilly07

18 hours ago, Lacessit said:

If it has not been declared before, why should you declare it now? Do you think the Thai authorities share banking information with the French? That's as probable as the CIA sharing information with Putin.

Unless you have major assets in France that can be frozen, I would not worry about it. You are overthinking the situation.

thanks mate  ive had a run in with the french before horrible Barstewards  even tho i was not at fault in anyway the Republic took their pound of flesh ..not because they should  but because the could don't trust them..i know certain countries have a sharing of information between each other and knowing how corrupt France and Thailand are Well makes me think  but thanks for the feed back mate 

39 minutes ago, chilly07 said:

I have paye deductions on all my pensions and am still told I can't use the NHS unless I intend to permanently reside in the UK.

Coupled with an entirely unnecessary and expensive Brexit and having to put up with a government of clowns who are more right wing than Le Penn let this be a warning to all French presidential voters this Sunday. And I haven't forgotten that french expats in Thailand were vaccinated by their embassy whereas the UK ambassador said he wasn't the NHS- And that the French embassy still issues income letters whereas the UK Embassy refuses 

do you still have to complete a declaration impots? even tho you no longer reside there

16 hours ago, phetphet said:

Perhaps it is because you have a French pension that they feel you are French tax domiciled.

yes perhaps but as i said they have my address here in thailand and know i no longer reside in France 

If you stay more than 180 days in Thailand you are fully tax resident of Thailand.

If you don't have a permanent address in France, and don't stay in that country for 180 days with a year, you would - under normal conditions - only be partial tax resident, provided you have income - or pension - or property in France. I'm not aware if there are some special French conditions, it might be worth checking the Double Taxation Agreement (DTA) between France and Thailand. Even you are partial taxable you might need to fill in a tax return form every year, especially if you are paid a retirement pension from France, which France, according to a DTA, might claim its right to tax and source-country.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

That comes under international money laundering, permit me to doubt the OP is engaged in that, or he would be transferring said amount.

He is talking about 400K he is holding in a bank in Thailand. Nothing to do with transfers.

I have 3 bank accounts in Thailand. If I did not report them to Centrelink in Australia, IMO they would not know they existed.

no laundering  i took the money from my french bank i have receipts of the withdrawal i didn't transfer it as not to incur bank costs and low exchange rates i simply put it in my case each time i went back making sure to keep below the 10.000 euro which is allowed..money has been in my bank since 2019 as my visa guarantee..its just that o read about a woman in Jersey who did not declare all her accounts charged 1500 euros on each for each year she had not reported them..thats what's bothering me if i declared this years what has not been declared since 2019 will emperor Macron's vermin do the same to me ?                       please excuse my lack of love for the French government !!!

3 minutes ago, khunPer said:

If you stay more than 180 days in Thailand you are fully tax resident of Thailand.

If you don't have a permanent address in France, and don't stay in that country for 180 days with a year, you would - under normal conditions - only be partial tax resident, provided you have income - or pension - or property in France. I'm not aware if there are some special French conditions, it might be worth checking the Double Taxation Agreement (DTA) between France and Thailand. Even you are partial taxable you might need to fill in a tax return form every year, especially if you are paid a retirement pension from France, which France, according to a DTA, might claim its right to tax and source-country.

yes mate live here permanent not been out the country for 3 years left the place because of the racist government and they still hound me   love the country and people but wouldn't P### on a government official if they were on fire ..thanks for your feed back mate if you find out any more info please let me know .. 

• Like 1

You do what you want with this opinion?  I'm not French but as noted many countries requires due to money laundry this is same with the U.S. 

I have a number of accounts with Bangkok Bank some large some small but I don't declare any of them since they yearly take out taxes on the interest I receive. I don't notice it being done on my Thai wife, son or daughter in law accounts.

My personal conclusion is it is none their of their business!  I had already paid the taxes on the money prior to shipping it over and gave my explanation as to where it came from for me end of story don't open a can of worms that doesn't need to be open.

Is the bank account you have in France receiving income and paying interest on the savings, what is the address on the bank account?

What is the address the pension payer has on record for you.

Is it a govt pension or a private pension?

The income arising in France (pension and interest), taxes should be paid in France unless you show that you are paying tax in the other country on those income streams and then you claim a rebate on the French tax form.

I think you need to read the French tax website how French non residents income is taxed and how to break tax residence with the country and the double taxation agreement between France, UK and Thailand.

Edited by userabcd

43 minutes ago, Harveyboy said:

but seeing i have a British passport  Would they share it with the French all my accounts opened with British Passport..

Probably the income streams you are receiving in France are being reported to the tax authorities in France.

ATM I don't think the Thai banks and tax authorities are sharing Thailand financial information with the French tax authorities.

Have you had any dealings with the Thai tax authorities such as tax number, claiming tax back etc...? and given a thai tax number to the French banks and pension payers?

Maybe the French authorities have become aware of your financial information in France and have made enquiry with the Thai tax authorities though the bilateral agreement in the DTA, that would be the only way they would communicate I think at the moment.

Edited by userabcd

1 hour ago, Harveyboy said:

do you still have to complete a declaration impots? even tho you no longer reside there

Had to do the last one in 2015 for my 2014 income. I "settled" in Thailand in early February 2015.

Edited by Boomer6969

2 hours ago, chilly07 said:

Let's answer ( I am French and live as a retired in Thailand)

first, it's true that so far and in my experience, our embassy is very helful, fast to answer, and for me, nothing to complain

second, for taxes ; under a certain sum ( about 1300 net € a month, ) we don't have to pay anytax ( it's my case ) ; but if I were in France with the same pension, I would pay taxes ( about 300-400 € ) 

but over 1300/1400 € , pepole who live  here pay more taxes that if they were in France ( pensionners too ) 

third, if I understand what you say, you think that to have Le Pen is better than Macron ? Apart Islam , immigration and security, Rassemblement national has nothing to offer ; French are not all stupid, and they will vote for Macron ( I too ) 

2 hours ago, Harveyboy said:

Every French pensionner has to fill a "déclaration d'impôts" ( even if " non imposable "  because it's money earned in France, but nothing to pay in Thailand 

For the fine of 1500 till 10000 €, it's for people who reside in France and don't declare they have an account abraod ; for me, for instane, I have an account in France but I live permanently in Thailand, so I don't have to declare my counts ( 2 ) here 

Edited by Aforek

1 hour ago, thailand49 said:

You do what you want with this opinion?  I'm not French but as noted many countries requires due to money laundry this is same with the U.S. 

I have a number of accounts with Bangkok Bank some large some small but I don't declare any of them since they yearly take out taxes on the interest I receive. I don't notice it being done on my Thai wife, son or daughter in law accounts.

My personal conclusion is it is none their of their business!  I had already paid the taxes on the money prior to shipping it over and gave my explanation as to where it came from for me end of story don't open a can of worms that doesn't need to be open.

Do you file a yearly tax return ? 

29 minutes ago, Aforek said:

Every French pensionner has to fill a "déclaration d'impôts" ( even if " non imposable "  because it's money earned in France, but nothing to pay in Thailand 

For the fine of 1500 till 10000 €, it's for people who reside in France and don't declare they have an account abraod ; for me, for instane, I have an account in France but I live permanently in Thailand, so I don't have to declare my counts ( 2 ) here 

I read on the french declaration form  for persons living in france or abroad ...thats what i dont understand ..they know im in thailand but have asked for bank account anywhere that i have so that reads its not only for people living in france ..its worse for me im not even french ha  dont suppose little Napoleon Macaroooon has this problem eh 

29 minutes ago, Harveyboy said:

..they know im in thailand but have asked for bank account anywhere that i have so that reads its not only for people living in france ..

How did they ask you ? declaration, letter , mail ? I know it's on the declaration of taxes, but we don't have to fill the case if we don't live in France or Monaco

here is the official text ( of course, only in French , sorry for the moderation )

Dois-je déclarer les comptes ouverts à l'étranger ? | service-public.fr

first line translated in English( Google translate )

If you are domiciled in France or Monaco, you must declare to the tax authorities the accounts opened, held, used (at least once) or closed during the year abroad.

7 hours ago, Lacessit said:

The Banks are supposed to report foreigners banks accounts.

Easier to just report that get in trouble.

It's a treaty that Thailand and almost any country that conducts Swift transfers has to adhere to.

It's up to the particular person if he chooses to not adhere to the law and risk hefty fines and a huge headache.

For me I report it.  It Takes 15 minutes online.

2 hours ago, Harveyboy said:

but seeing i have a British passport  Would they share it with the French all my accounts opened with British Passport..

Who knows?

The French and the UK are always squabbling. 

There more concerned about the big players.