Electric Vehicles in Thailand

44 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

I for one was very excited when Tesla announced they were going to be selling EVs in Thailand. I was shocked at the price they chose to sell them at  - nearly 40% more than in other RHD markets like Australia. Tesla has been cutting prices around the world in the run up the the Highland Model 3 launch, but not in Thailand. In 12 months they didn't cut prices once and then only days after the dramatic sales figures for the BYD Seal.

As I have posted above. Tesla Charging is available in Korat, Pattaya and BKK. They have been put to shame by MG and BYD that have rolled out showrooms each with DC and AC charging.

The sales figures speak for themselves:

Yeah they haven't really taken off in the way I thought they would've done to be honest.  I think the price is ok, particularly after the recent cuts, although maybe I'm just comparing them to the UK as they're about 15% cheaper.

I'm more concerned about the lack of service centres, I suppose you'd be gambling on them opening more sites and getting more trained technicians in over the next year or two.  There's a number of tales on the Thai forums of long queues to get issues looked at.  I'm also a bit wary of range compared to the Seal.  I want the LFP battery, so the only M3 option is the RWD which is just 513kms.  So you're paying 150-200k more depending on colour for a slower car with less range.  Then if you're looking at the MY it's only 455kms which I think really is too low.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Melpomene said:

Yeah they haven't really taken off in the way I thought they would've done to be honest.  I think the price is ok, particularly after the recent cuts, although maybe I'm just comparing them to the UK as they're about 15% cheaper.

I'm more concerned about the lack of service centres, I suppose you'd be gambling on them opening more sites and getting more trained technicians in over the next year or two.  There's a number of tales on the Thai forums of long queues to get issues looked at.  I'm also a bit wary of range compared to the Seal.  I want the LFP battery, so the only M3 option is the RWD which is just 513kms.  So you're paying 150-200k more depending on colour for a slower car with less range.  Then if you're looking at the MY it's only 455kms which I think really is too low.

I ordered the Seal Premium LR RWD. Like you I wanted LFP but I also wanted V2L, which I was hoping would appear in the Highland Model 3. When it didn’t my mind was made up. 

My wife thinks the lack of indicator stalks and drive selector on the screen is a dealbreaker.  

• Like 2

We've talked a little bit about ground clearance in relation to driving thru water/flooded area.  As I read my 200 page Atto 3 manual in prep of getting my car this week the manual gives some conflicting info on the depth of water to avoid.  On page 98 is says water depth must not exceed the vehicle's lower edge. The Atto has a ground clearance level of 175mm.   

But then just a few paragraphs later on page 99 it says do not drive thru areas where the water level exceeds half the tire height.  I'm assuming where they say "tire" they mean the rubber tire "and" steel rim as if it's the rubber tire portion only then that would only be around 50mm.  Today I measured the halfway height of an Atto setting in a parking lot (hope the owner didn't see me) and it was 330mm from pavement to center of the rim.  

Seems to me half way up the wheel...which is 330mm on the Atto should be the safe limit assuming it was a short distance and you keep moving.  In the perfect world where it never rains hard causing standing water on roads the possibly of driving thru water is close to zero, but in the real world and especially in the tropics such as Thailand where rain can quickly cause unavoidable road flooding and big mudpuddles hopefully BEVs with their traction battery on the bottom of the car can handle driving thru water half way up the wheel for short distances especially since the traction battery and high voltage components are suppose to waterproof per IP67 which means waterproof for short periods in up to 1m of water.

See three snapshots below.

image.png.d33120d61288f823099aa36e74861312.png

image.png.293611aa0492346883ff2968d44fc4de.png

image.png.038cbf4c9036effac342e76458050a5c.png

• Thanks 2

Battery Cover Metal or Plastic

Metal AION, Neta,  Tesla, MG

Plastic ORA, BYD For BYD Dolphin, expect the same as Atto3

BYD Seal part is different because it is the first generation CTB.
(The dormitory floor is a battery cover. It's metal.)

Is this quality control issue  from factory, damaged by foreign object or Rat bite

In some countries you can get this product Rat Mat or Grid Guard

Review Here

Testing Out The Grid Guard Electric Vehicle Rodent Protection System

Need access to 24/7 power supply ( No power outages)

2 hours ago, Pib said:

We've talked a little bit about ground clearance in relation to driving thru water/flooded area.  As I read my 200 page Atto 3 manual in prep of getting my car this week the manual gives some conflicting info on the depth of water to avoid.  On page 98 is says water depth must not exceed the vehicle's lower edge. The Atto has a ground clearance level of 175mm.   

But then just a few paragraphs later on page 99 it says do not drive thru areas where the water level exceeds half the tire height.  I'm assuming where they say "tire" they mean the rubber tire "and" steel rim as if it's the rubber tire portion only then that would only be around 50mm.  Today I measured the halfway height of an Atto setting in a parking lot (hope the owner didn't see me) and it was 330mm from pavement to center of the rim.  

Seems to me half way up the wheel...which is 330mm on the Atto should be the safe limit assuming it was a short distance and you keep moving.  In the perfect world where it never rains hard causing standing water on roads the possibly of driving thru water is close to zero, but in the real world and especially in the tropics such as Thailand where rain can quickly cause unavoidable road flooding and big mudpuddles hopefully BEVs with their traction battery on the bottom of the car can handle driving thru water half way up the wheel for short distances especially since the traction battery and high voltage components are suppose to waterproof per IP67 which means waterproof for short periods in up to 1m of water.

See three snapshots below.

image.png.d33120d61288f823099aa36e74861312.png

image.png.293611aa0492346883ff2968d44fc4de.png

image.png.038cbf4c9036effac342e76458050a5c.png

Here they are stating and can drive through water as deep as 40 cm. #ATTO3

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=243906628425844&id=100084195251877&set=a.116740184475823

On the Ford Ranger with standard tires they quoted the limit as being 800mm 

Personally I wouldn't drive through any flooded water as you unable to see any foreign objects in the water or if you go down a deep pot hole

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, vinny41 said:

Here they are stating and can drive through water as deep as 40 cm. #ATTO3

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=243906628425844&id=100084195251877&set=a.116740184475823

On the Ford Ranger with standard tires they quoted the limit as being 800mm 

Personally I wouldn't drive through any flooded water as you unable to see any foreign objects in the water or if you go down a deep pot hole

So what do you do when you come to a flooded area and there is traffic behind you? 

I just can't imagine Thailand ever having a sufficient infrastructure network to support charging cars on the road, I just can't see it. Does anybody feel differently? So, that means you have to use them only around town, or on short trips. Quite a limitation. 

Hybrids makes alot more sense in a place like this. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

So what do you do when you come to a flooded area and there is traffic behind you?

It would be unusually to be driving on roads that are not flooded and suddenly without warning come to a flooded area  if that did happen I would park up more so with an EV since the largest % of the cost of the vehicle is closest to the road now if I was driving a vehicle with 32 inch tyres I may consider driving through the flooded area

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

It would be unusually to be driving on roads that are not flooded and suddenly without warning come to a flooded area  if that did happen I would park up more so with an EV since the largest % of the cost of the vehicle is closest to the road now if I was driving a vehicle with 32 inch tyres I may consider driving through the flooded area

Well, it happened to me Saturday night. So you would stop in the road and block traffic and what, take a nap in the back seat?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

If you don't drive an EV then you probably don't even notice them.  Many fuel stations have them. Many shopping centers will have several. Every MG and BYD dealership that you drive by has them. Thailand is currently in a honeymoon period when there are lots of chargers and not many people wanting to use them. 

The only time I have seen chargers busy is when the whole of Thailand decides to take to the roads at the same time. 

My new EV has an 82.56kWh usable battery capacity. As it has Lithium Iron Phosphate battery chemistry it is fine to leave it at a 100% state of charge. It has 650km range and a 150kW charging speed meaning that it can add nearly 400km range in 20 minutes. Unless I am travelling more than 650km I will charge at home.

Impressive numbers. What kind of car is it? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

My brother in law mentioned the BYD Seal in the UK has ADS (Alcohol Detection System).

I wonder what it is and if we get it here?

That is interesting, as is Child Forgetting Detection !!

Fingerprint scanners have been discussed recently, wonder if that’s what it means here ?

IMG_1452.thumb.jpeg.cfc0069ec32d8954464bfad9f83dc589.jpeg

Don’t see anything similar on Thai ( Rever) website.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

My brother in law mentioned the BYD Seal in the UK has ADS (Alcohol Detection System).

I wonder what it is and if we get it here?

I don't think we're getting it in Thailand.

I'm disappointed we're also not getting the two microphone karaoke which is standard in China.

Not that I would ever use it, but it's so ridiculous I'd like to have it.

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pib said:

Not an issue for trips....PLENTY of chargers in Thailand already...at fuel stations, malls, just lots of places, etc.   Just go to any website/use any app that shows charging locations...like the "plugshare.com" which is a crowd-based website to show charging locations.   Or use some of the charging station apps used to operate charging stations to see where chargers in that network are located. 

On the subject of road trips around Thailand and the frequency of charging stops.  I'm trying to work out what is the minimum range I should aim for the in the EV I eventually pick.  I've done some back of a fag packet calculations and wanted to get the views of the EV gurus in this discussion to see if my maths is anywhere near correct.

• Using an EV with an advertised range of 450kms as an example.  
  • Starting at 100% charge, if I was to take a drive to Phuket from home in Bangkok at an average speed of around 80kmh then I could expect a real world range of around 400kms.  The trip distance is about 850kms
  • Therefore, if I drove for around 5 hours I could run the battery to 0%.
  • However, on a road trip you're never going to cut it that fine, so I'd be looking to stop to charge once I'm at between 20-30% or approx 80-120kms range.  I think I'd always want to play it safe as I don't like the idea of getting to a charging station with only only a couple of % to find it's not working.
  • So the first stop would be after approx 280kms which would be after about 3.5 hours of driving.
  • This first stop would recharge back up to around 80-90% or around 320-360 real world range.
  • The second stop would again be at 20-30% charge which would only be about 200-240kms or 2.5 to 3 hours further down the road.
  • I'm quite happy driving for 4-5 hours without a break, so this feels like I'd need to be stopping more often than I would want on this sort of trip.

• Using the same example with an EV with an advertised range of 650kms
  • I could expect a real world range about 575kms @ 80kmh average.
  • Which is over 7 hours to deplete the battery
  • Therefore, the first stop at 20-30% (115-170kms remaining range) would be after around 5 hours of driving.  This would charge back unto 80-90% (460-520kms).
  • Second stop would be after about a further 4 to 4.5 hours driving or 320km to 360kms further down the road.
  • This feels much, much better to me based upon my driving habits on a long trip.

So if my maths above is correct, then I think there's a good number of cars that I can rule out of my search as we do do longer trips fairly frequently and needing to stop every 2-3 hours would, I think, irritate me.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, macahoom said:

I'm disappointed we're also not getting the two microphone karaoke which is standard in China.

Maybe you can order it from AliExpress, perhaps in the future it will be annoying OAP’s singing karaoke in their cars with the windows down cruising around town instead of teenagers with their booming speakers?

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, macahoom said:

AliExpress do have the microphones, not cheap at about 2,500 each.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Pib said:

No doubt that for l....o......n.....g  trips such as Phuket-Bangkok the drive time is going to be longer due to the required recharging....simply can't compare a 5 minute fossil fueling to a 1 hour hour electric DC Fast Charge fueling.   Now while some people have no problem/prefer to drive non-stop if possible...even if it means 6 or more hours setting behind the steering wheel I'm not sure most people (especially families) drive that way.  Instead, breaks/stops every 2-3 hours is probably more the norm.   I sure know my Thai family/friends seem to take much longer to get where they are going on a long trip and when I  inquiry as to why it took so long rarely don't they say heavy traffic but say it was due to a good amount of bathroom and eating stops along the way.  I have some family members that simply can't go 2 hours without a bathroom stop

But yea, long trips are going to take longer with an BEV compared to an ICEV for anyone who has been use to few and brief stops along the way in their ICEV.    One positive of long drives using a BEV is the bigtime fuel savings....around half to two-thirds.  Fuel cost for my 3.0L diesel Fortuner round trip Phuket-Bangkok (1,700Km) would be apprxo Bt4,900 compared to approxBt2,000-2,500 for an EV (assumes higher DC Fast charging station cost/KWH).  And then when back home and able to use my wall charger for day-to-day driving around 1,700Km of driving would only cost around Bt1,600...a two-thirds fuel savings which really adds up over time.

Regarding the recharging...as to how much to recharge to...up to 80, 90, 100%.   Recharging up to 80-90% is indeed going to occur faster due to the nature of battery recharging...and that final 10-20% is going to be slower/take longer....probably twice as long per each 1 percent charge per unit of time. However, if you have a BEV with "LFP" lithium type batteries such as BYD vehicles you can charge them to 100% with no negative short or long term effects...gives more range between stops on long trips..  However, "NCA/NMC" lithium type batteries which many EVs use routinely charging to only around 90% is considered a good thing for extended battery life purposes....but more and more studies are beginning to show that even NCA/NMC type batteries show little negative effect from "frequent" DC Fast Charging and no negative effect from occasional DC Fast Charging.  So, all lithium batteries are not created equal.   

https://zecar.com/resources/what-are-lfp-nmc-nca-batteries-in-electric-cars

I don't think there is a BEV on the Thai market that can do 850Km non-stop....maybe a few in other countries but they would cost a LOT of money for the BIG battery.  Now  over the near term (next couple of years) I expect average BEV battery range will probably go up around 20% because bigger batteries in BEVs will become the norm as customers demand more range....not a huge jump but still very significant.  And when "solid state" batteries start coming to market in mass probably in around 5-7 years that's going to offer at least 20% increases in range while reducing charge time by a lot.   

https://electrek.co/2023/06/13/toyota-claims-solid-state-ev-battery-tech-breakthrough/

Yeah I agree, a very long journey is going to take more time in an EV than for someone who is driving an ICE car and ONLY stopping for petrol.  However, I don't think that's how most people would approach a very long drive.  You've got to stop for food a couple of time at least, so there's your charging windows sorted.  A longer range EV is realistically not going to take longer to complete a very long drive than an ICE car.  I think you would see a difference in some of the shorter range cars that would require additional charging stops.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Melpomene said:

On the subject of road trips around Thailand and the frequency of charging stops.  I'm trying to work out what is the minimum range I should aim for the in the EV I eventually pick.  I've done some back of a fag packet calculations and wanted to get the views of the EV gurus in this discussion to see if my maths is anywhere near correct.

• Using an EV with an advertised range of 450kms as an example.  
  • Starting at 100% charge, if I was to take a drive to Phuket from home in Bangkok at an average speed of around 80kmh then I could expect a real world range of around 400kms.  The trip distance is about 850kms
  • Therefore, if I drove for around 5 hours I could run the battery to 0%.
  • However, on a road trip you're never going to cut it that fine, so I'd be looking to stop to charge once I'm at between 20-30% or approx 80-120kms range.  I think I'd always want to play it safe as I don't like the idea of getting to a charging station with only only a couple of % to find it's not working.
  • So the first stop would be after approx 280kms which would be after about 3.5 hours of driving.
  • This first stop would recharge back up to around 80-90% or around 320-360 real world range.
  • The second stop would again be at 20-30% charge which would only be about 200-240kms or 2.5 to 3 hours further down the road.
  • I'm quite happy driving for 4-5 hours without a break, so this feels like I'd need to be stopping more often than I would want on this sort of trip.

• Using the same example with an EV with an advertised range of 650kms
  • I could expect a real world range about 575kms @ 80kmh average.
  • Which is over 7 hours to deplete the battery
  • Therefore, the first stop at 20-30% (115-170kms remaining range) would be after around 5 hours of driving.  This would charge back unto 80-90% (460-520kms).
  • Second stop would be after about a further 4 to 4.5 hours driving or 320km to 360kms further down the road.
  • This feels much, much better to me based upon my driving habits on a long trip.

So if my maths above is correct, then I think there's a good number of cars that I can rule out of my search as we do do longer trips fairly frequently and needing to stop every 2-3 hours would, I think, irritate me.

Your #s are pretty good.   At 30%, I'll start to think about a CS, as don't like to go below 20%.  Your estimate of 80 kph is about right, and what we average when I got the CC set to 90 kph on open roads.

Our MG rated at WLTP 320 kms, so using 300 kms (at speed(>47kph 'tested), we're good for 3+ hrs, which I'm ready for a break by then, if not sooner.  That's 250 ish kms, w/50 kms reserve.  Them longer drives are way behind me.  

Important thing, is to know where the next CS is along your route, in case the one you're stopping at is inop.  It has happened.  Or if traveling weekends, may have a Q, not happened yet, and probably just luck.

Probably means you won't be looking at MGs, unless a LR version, as all 3 standard versions have a 51kWh (46kWh usable) battery and same specs, ~300 kms on highway at speed/90 kph.  Added plus of MG, can use their CS if having MG or member card to charge, which you get w/the car, and no other way that I'm aware of.  Guess same would apply to BYD.  Actually our preferred CS, unless hungry.

Probably mentioned, if multiple stops along the way, you'll get there faster if just charging up to 90%, as the last bit (MGs) is very slow adding.

There really is no shortage of CSs, especially on main roads.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1