Electric Vehicles in Thailand

19 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

What happen to MG they don't appear anywhere in the top 24 

Thais don't like MG, they still remember their launch in Thailand with poorly made, unreliable cars with appalling after sales service.  It's a shame because their EV's are excellent.

5 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Thais don't like MG, they still remember their launch in Thailand with poorly made, unreliable cars with appalling after sales service.  It's a shame because their EV's are excellent.

And yet I see plenty on the roads daily.

there would be 20+ MG EV's in the carpark at my work everyday, infact part of the facility electric upgrade my employer is putting in some EV charge stations.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Them BYD's are darn nice looking.  Quite like the Atto 3 myself, and now just wee bit more than the ZS.  Available after we ordered, and did show up before we received.  Actually was an option if we changed out mind.

Did go with what we knew, since having the ICE version.  Along with a new model, actually market for BYD, so the only hesitation.   MG having a few years to work out some tweaks.  Which they did nicely.  Nice CS network to compliment owning.  Will come in handy as EV #s put a strain on CSs, and Q'ing more frequent.

One member did an extensive test drive of both Atto & ZS, going with the  Atto 3.  Did mention the ZS had just a wee bit umph off the line, and AC seemed a wee bit more powerful.  I'm glad he added that to his review, and of course the 2 more important to me :laugh:   Other than that, styling, fit finish, bells & whistles, and every other darn thing, he preferred the Atto 3.

Still very happy with our choice.  MG definitely feeling the competition, something they didn't have a few years earlier for their price points.  Hence the price drops on both ZS & MG4.  

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Them BYD's are darn nice looking.  Quite like the Atto 3 myself, and now just wee bit more than the ZS.  Available after we ordered, and did show up before we received.  Actually was an option if we changed out mind.

Did go with what we knew, since having the ICE version.  Along with a new model, actually market for BYD, so the only hesitation.   MG having a few years to work out some tweaks.  Which they did nicely.  Nice CS network to compliment owning.  Will come in handy as EV #s put a strain on CSs, and Q'ing more frequent.

One member did an extensive test drive of both Atto & ZS, going with the  Atto 3.  Did mention the ZS had just a wee bit umph off the line, and AC seemed a wee bit more powerful.  I'm glad he added that to his review, and of course the 2 more important to me :laugh:   Other than that, styling, fit finish, bells & whistles, and every other darn thing, he preferred the Atto 3.

Still very happy with our choice.  MG definitely feeling the competition, something they didn't have a few years earlier for their price points.  Hence the price drops on both ZS & MG4.  

Its interesting some brands no price drops other brands B100K price drops have to wait a couple of years to see if price drops affects 2nd resale value it did when Chevrolet reduced their prices by 50%

Personally I think you made the right choice with MG with encased Metal battery and Modular batteries

Recent case here of EV  rear ended  damage doesn't look that bad but as total repair cost is over 70% of insurance capital, insurance to refund B1,100,000

https://www.facebook.com/groups/bydthailand/posts/706543461452438/

9 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Its interesting some brands no price drops other brands B100K price drops have to wait a couple of years to see if price drops affects 2nd resale value it did when Chevrolet reduced their prices by 50%

Personally I think you made the right choice with MG with encased Metal battery and Modular batteries

Recent case here of EV  rear ended  damage doesn't look that bad but as total repair cost is over 70% of insurance capital, insurance to refund B1,100,000

https://www.facebook.com/groups/bydthailand/posts/706543461452438/

I think so also :coffee1:

Chevy pulling out of TH ... had to hurt those that trade up every few years.  Guess what car the kids going get when ready.  Daughter got our Mazda2 as not worth selling, after only 7 or 8 yrs/<150kms.

Saw a few of those oops, one battery bank, plastic encased, got a home punched in it.  Ouch, something simple could end up being quite expensive.

Edited by KhunLA

51 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

44 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

And yet I see plenty on the roads daily.

there would be 20+ MG EV's in the carpark at my work everyday, infact part of the facility electric upgrade my employer is putting in some EV charge stations.

I agree, we have 2 MG EV's and they are both excellent.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, matchar said:

Top Speed: Maximum speed 121 km/h (Sport mode)

Can run up to 320 km. per charge (WLTP standard)

Direct current DC Fast Charging supports up to 45 kW from 30-80%, takes approximately 30 minutes.

I'm all for EVs but those figures are too pitiful for a primary car.

When they start selling MG 4 specs for the Neta V price then I'll bite if I can solve the charging problem from living in a Bangkok condo.

It seems like convenient public chargers in malls overcharge and I don't fancy sitting at a gas station for 30 minutes once a week.

I definitely won’t be looking at the Neta nor the Altis as my primary car. If that’s your budget, then definitely go for an ICEV. 

it seems to me that you are looking for reasons and justifications for why you won’t buy an EV at the present time. Spending 30-40 mins at a PTT once a week is not really that much of a bother. A lot of the stations have a food court or a KFC  or Burger King or other options where you can have a decent meal. They also have a Cafe Amazon as well as a 7/11. Plus very decent toilets easy parking.

I mentioned in a previous post that ICE owners think like ICE owners. Owning an EV requires a slight modification and change of habits.

• Love It 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I don"t think he is looking for reasons, 

I think he found them. 

I am also all for EV, but not as a primary vehicle and not at this time. 

We have toyed with the idea of an EV for around town where we do most of our driving. But we like to hit the road for long trips every once in a while, and it just requires way too much planning with and EV. Some might not mind it, but many do. 

But they technology and range is improving every year and prices are going down.,so perhaps in a couple of years who knows. 

agree. there was a panorama programme about EVs on the bbc recently, basically showing the practicalities of owning one. it all seemed a massive hassle. i'm not against them, but the current products are far from meeting my requirements, i.e. having an easy life

23 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I don"t think he is looking for reasons, 

I think he found them. 

I am also all for EV, but not as a primary vehicle and not at this time. 

We have toyed with the idea of an EV for around town where we do most of our driving. But we like to hit the road for long trips every once in a while, and it just requires way too much planning with and EV. Some might not mind it, but many do. 

But they technology and range is improving every year and prices are going down.,so perhaps in a couple of years who knows. 

A lot depends on individual circumstances. I do long trips regularly, 800+ km each way. That’s why my primary vehicle is a PHEV with a battery range of 160-180 km plus an ICE range of over 500 km. My EV is my second car. With a range of 480 km around CM, I plug it in overnight once or twice a week, easy peasy. I would not hesitate to take it on long distance trips either, depending on time constraints, if any.

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

https://thethaiger.com/news/business/thai-auto-market-anticipates-price-war-as-chinese-evs-flood-in

“The cost-effective production of Chinese EVs has led to price tags that undercut domestic ICE vehicles, forcing traditional car manufacturers to recalibrate their strategies, said Ratthakarn during the Bangkok International Motor Show, which is open to the public until December 11.

In Thailand, the pickup market has been languishing, with sales plunging over 30% this year”

I don't think it's anything to do with "cost-effective production". The auto industry generally has fine-tuned production to be as cost-effective as possible.

What this guy (who is the local Ford MD) means is either "Chinese EV manufacturers are prepared to accept lower profit margins than Western/Japanese manufacturers" or "Chinese EVs are willing to take losses to build market share".

22 hours ago, matchar said:

I'm all for EVs but those figures are too pitiful for a primary car.

You have to compare apples with apples. A few years ago I bought my wife a new Suzuki Swift (her choice not mine) to learn to drive. Cost about the same as a Neta V but oh my God what a dreadful car. After 30 minutes in it we both had backache. It was clear to us both, that the Swift would not be acceptable as a second car, maybe a replacement for a motorbike.   As soon as she had passed her test we got shot of it and bought an EV.

4 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

You have to compare apples with apples. A few years ago I bought my wife a new Suzuki Swift (her choice not mine) to learn to drive. Cost about the same as a Neta V but oh my God what a dreadful car. After 30 minutes in it we both had backache. It was clear to us both, that the Swift would not be acceptable as a second car, maybe a replacement for a motorbike.   As soon as she had passed her test we got shot of it and bought an EV.

sounds like dreadful seats, not a dreadful car. i dated a major japanese brand car designer here for a while, many cars are designed for a local market, interiors based on human modelling of the local population, therefore it doesn't surprise a westerner might be uncomfortable in the seat of a thai market car. this is not always the case but shows the importance of researching and test driving before purchasing a car.

20 hours ago, matchar said:

You always try to cherry pick your figures like solar charging

Being able to power my EVs from my home solar is not a cherry, it’s the main reason I own an EV. It’s free to charge unless I’m driving more that 600km.

Now that I can also power my house from my EV I’ve got 6 free Tesla PowerWalls of backup power included with my car which would cost ฿1.2m here in Thailand. Now that is one big ******* cherry.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

A lot depends on individual circumstances. I do long trips regularly, 800+ km each way. That’s why my primary vehicle is a PHEV with a battery range of 160-180 km plus an ICE range of over 500 km. My EV is my second car. With a range of 480 km around CM, I plug it in overnight once or twice a week, easy peasy. I would not hesitate to take it on long distance trips either, depending on time constraints, if any.

What PHEV do you have with an electric only range 160-180?   

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

He has a Haval H6 PHEV, quoted range 202km if I remember right.

Wow...I didn't know Havel had a PHEV with that much range/that big of a battery (34KWH).  Paired with a 1.5L engine.   I'd been so use to seeing PHEV's spec'ed at less than 100Km electric-only. 

image.png.455207ab64046455d3e1290dec13e41e.png

Edited by Pib

On 12/2/2023 at 9:00 AM, vinny41 said:

MG on the leader board with 503 and 7th place they should have been on the 1st leader board published but there must have been a comms issue with the numbers

Toyota is in the lead selling 4 more vehicles than BYD

https://www.motorexpo.co.th/bestselling/

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, vinny41 said:

MG on the leader board with 503 and 7th place they should have been on the 1st leader board published but there must have been a comms issue with the numbers

Toyota is in the lead selling 4 more vehicles than BYD

https://www.motorexpo.co.th/bestselling/

Who's your Daddy ... :laugh:

Whoa ... BYD .. 2X+ 👍

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

4 days at the Motor Show, reservations at a glance .

IMG_2025.jpeg.d8952fdde814a775e6165ee5b02f76c2.jpeg

Changan in 4th , in case you were wondering.

By approximate calculation, 48% of those sales are EV's*

I think Legacy auto makers must be $hitting their pants.

*Assuming MG's sales are EV's, maybe 45% if only half were EV's.

Edited by JBChiangRai
add humor
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

4 days at the Motor Show, reservations at a glance .

IMG_2025.jpeg.d8952fdde814a775e6165ee5b02f76c2.jpeg

Interesting to compare with first 4 days from last year. I could only find 'Top 5' sales but quite interesting nonetheless. Toyota don't seem to have lost any sales volume, same with Honda. 

image.thumb.jpeg.99527ad49f5d45491c9b56fae3b7060d.jpeg

• Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

Interesting to compare with first 4 days from last year. I could only find 'Top 5' sales but quite interesting nonetheless.

Toyota don't seem to have lost any sales volume, same with Honda. 

it depends on how you interpret the numbers. 

another way to look at it is that they've lost a significant number of customers

who are now buying electric cars instead of choosing vehicles from brands like toyota or honda!

Edited by motdaeng
spelling
  • Agree 1