Electric Vehicles in Thailand

14 minutes ago, Pib said:

80 a day is something, but it sounds like a just a knock-down reassembly plant. 

44 minutes ago, Pib said:

He's EOW is a bit uninformed;

,,, Ora Good Cat EV model is built under China’s Great Wall Motor Co (GWM) auto brand but all of its parts are domestically made, in TH.

... FOMM ONE is a small 4-seater EV developed by FOMM that meets the light vehicle standard. Manufacturing takes place in Thailand.

,,, Energy Absolute (EA) has launched Thailand’s first electric mini truck, aiming to help businesses reduce transport costs,  the MT30 

,,, another low spec'd truck is made in Bangkok, though I forget the name

Edited by KhunLA
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pib said:

https://autolifethailand.tv/ev-motor-show-2024/

Updated: April 8, 2024

What does the 32.78% reservation for electric cars in Motor Show 2024 reflect?

Motor Show 2024

Mr. Kritsada Uttamote, President of the Thai Electric Vehicle Association, said that the number of electric vehicle reservations at the 45th Bangkok International Motor Show or Motor Show 2024 ( Motor Show 2024 ) totaled more than 17,517 units, or equivalent to 32.78% of total reservations at the event reflect consumer response. From the brands that sell electric cars and the number of models increasing Every 3 cars reserved at the event will be 1 electric car.

This is despite the fact that the number of such reservations is high. But collecting reservation data and reporting it to the organizers of each company There are differences, for example, some collect reservation data from all over the country for the reason that they use the same campaign as the Motor Show, while some collect reservation data only for the event to assess the worthiness of investing in attending the event. Therefore, it is necessary to keep an eye on the registration numbers for April, which will reflect the success of the bookings that have been made.

As for the number of electric vehicle registrations in the first 3 months of 2024 (January - March), there are approximately 22,000 registered vehicles. For the whole year, it is seen that the electric vehicle market in Thailand will definitely be at the level of hundreds of thousands of vehicles. From last year, it was approximately 76,000 cars, due to the fact that many electric car manufacturers have begun to assemble within the country.

Read related news: Summary of car reservations at the 45th Motor Show 2024 (25 Mar. - 7 Apr. '22): Total 53,438 cars (+24.6%).

At the same time, the price competition that occurs especially at motor shows is a matter for each car manufacturer to set prices and campaigns independently. Thai Electric Vehicle Association Unable to control this part. But what, as the Association's Prime Minister, I am concerned about is that price competition that is too intense until it becomes a price war will affect the overall market throughout the supply chain.

“NORMALLY, THE LAUNCH OF A NEW MODEL INCREASES THE PRICE OF THE PREVIOUS MODEL. BUT IN THIS PRICE WAR SITUATION, THERE HAS BEEN A REDUCTION, AFFECTING CONSUMERS WHO MAKE PURCHASING DECISIONS WHO ARE CONCERNED ABOUT PRICE REDUCTIONS. INCLUDING AFFECTING THE PRICE OF THE USED CAR MARKET FOR BOTH BUYERS AND SELLERS AS WELL. THEREFORE, WE THINK THAT PRICING SHOULD BE STABLE.”

However, in principle there should be a federation of Chinese car manufacturers. To act as a mediator for discussions not only in preventing price wars but also as a mediator in coordinating with the government sector. and various documents related to investment

When the reporter asked about the case of a Chinese electric car manufacturer being considered a zero-dollar tour that came to do business in Thailand, Mr. Kritsada said that first of all, we must understand that a zero-dollar tour means tourism that the company Chinese tours bring in tourists. And then take them to buy goods and services from Chinese investors only, which does not create benefits for Thailand. It is different from the automotive industry where those doing business must invest in purchasing land to set up a factory. and will have to construct a factory Including paying taxes and must be employed This is impossible for only Chinese people.

I am not aware of any industry from Cars, mobile Phones TV's where

“NORMALLY, THE LAUNCH OF A NEW MODEL INCREASES THE PRICE OF THE PREVIOUS MODEL.

In fact its the complete opposite where manufacturer will discount their old  inventory to clear their old stock

BYD for example discounts of up to B250,000 on 2023 models.

The only other option manufacturers have to avoid discounting old inventory is simple produce less

Problem for BEV only  manufacturer's they have no choice to produce less where other

manufacturer's if they see BEV not selling well they can scale back their EV production lines and switch to Hybrid, diesel or petrol which ever is selling well in the market place

Edited by vinny41
add
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Translation error?

Apart from busses, not a single EV is made in Thailand yet, right?

I think wrong

Great Wall Motors acquired the plant from General Motors in 2020  GWM  make Hybrid and Full electric motors there, the Oro Cat rolled off the line in Jan full EV I remember is was in the News

Believe the BYD Thailand production line is near ready 150,000 cars per years EV's and Hybrids 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ignis said:

I think wrong

Great Wall Motors acquired the plant from General Motors in 2020  GWM  make Hybrid and Full electric motors there, the Oro Cat rolled off the line in Jan full EV I remember is was in the News

Believe the BYD Thailand production line is near ready 150,000 cars per years EV's and Hybrids 

You are right. It is all happening so fast.

100% electric cars in Thailand are

Mercedes-Benz,

GWM,

MG,

NETA,

Honda.

https://autolifethailand.tv/ora-good-cat-ora-good-cat-gt-ev-thailand-production/

Edited by ExpatOilWorker
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, Pib said:

Yeap...they are out.   BYD booked the 2nd highest number...Toyota was 1st....Honda 3rd. 

image.png.2b28f41c8e7b3f4941fd3893959f7d20.png

Now that the dust has settled for the motorshow registration numbers and it is clear that EVs did well, then why was Tesla not there?

Is Tesla afraid to compete directly with the new Chinese brands on price and showmanship?

Also, are we really going to see 140 of these contraptions on Thai roads?

Add an "r" to BOMA and you have a joke in Spanish.

Lastly, Firebright might not be the best name for a Chinese EV. They are kind of setting themselves up for trouble down the road, so to speak. 

Weiao-BOMA-EV_02.jpg

6 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Now that the dust has settled for the motorshow registration numbers and it is clear that EVs did well, then why was Tesla not there?

Is Tesla afraid to compete directly with the new Chinese brands on price and showmanship?

From some googling this morning I get the impression motor shows are a small part of Telsa's marketing plan....along with avoid "paid" advertising.  Apparently it's common for Tesla  to skip many of the biggest auto shows worldwide...selective in what exhibitions they participate in.

Tesla Marketing Strategy 2024: A Case Study | Simplilearn

An In-Depth Look at Tesla’s Marketing Strategy

Tesla absent from China’s largest annual auto show - Global Times

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Also, are we really going to see 140 of these contraptions on Thai roads?

Add an "r" to BOMA and you have a joke in Spanish.

Weiao-BOMA-EV_02.jpg

Not my cup of tea....just way too small for me....plus, I still haven't warmed-up to vehicles with a HUGE grille like the HiSo Toyota Alphard has...a van I think is ugly when viewed from the front.   The BOMA looks a lot like a mini-me Alphard on the outside....I expect that "copy-cat" look was the plan from the get-go.

However, if just wanting transportation for short trips like going back to work in the city, can squeeze thru the narrowest soi, park in postal stamp sized parking spaces, etc., a BOMA may just fit the bill for certain groups.   Here in the Bangkok metro region I see all types of small vehicles and LOTS of them...mostly ICEV....with more small EV appearing all the time.   

Maybe folks with a Toyota Alphard should replace its spare tire with a BOMA?   Just be sure to remember to check/top-up the BOMA battery every six months or so...which just replaces the routine of checking/topping-up the spare tire pressure every six months.  😉

https://paultan.org/2024/04/02/bangkok-2024-honri-boma-ev-mini-alphard/

image.png.b8cc0aa8d9103954cfbf1f450346d776.png

1 hour ago, Pib said:

From some googling this morning I get the impression motor shows are a small part of Telsa's marketing plan....along with avoid "paid" advertising.  Apparently it's common for Tesla  to skip many of the biggest auto shows worldwide...selective in what exhibitions they participate in.

I was disappointed they were not there. 

26 minutes ago, Pib said:

Not my cup of tea....just way too small for me....plus, I still haven't warmed-up to vehicles with a HUGE grille like the HiSo Toyota Alphard has...a van I think is ugly when viewed from the front.   The BOMA looks a lot like a mini-me Alphard on the outside....I expect that "copy-cat" look was the plan from the get-go.

However, if just wanting transportation for short trips like going back to work in the city, can squeeze thru the narrowest soi, park in postal stamp sized parking spaces, etc., a BOMA may just fit the bill for certain groups.   Here in the Bangkok metro region I see all types of small vehicles and LOTS of them...mostly ICEV....with more small EV appearing all the time.   

Maybe folks with a Toyota Alphard should replace its spare tire with a BOMA?   Just be sure to remember to check/top-up the BOMA battery every six months or so...which just replaces the routine of checking/topping-up the spare tire pressure every six months.  😉

https://paultan.org/2024/04/02/bangkok-2024-honri-boma-ev-mini-alphard/

image.png.b8cc0aa8d9103954cfbf1f450346d776.png

Not a fan myself of those big grills, that's just ugly.   Looked at Denza D9 (online), ugly as all hell, front grill, but does have a 103kWh battery pack 👍

image.png.9687aaef9ca6ee983d4b7a869b65be5c.png

Yea....big, huge grilles serve as a "prestige" badge for some....maybe they feel it screams wealth.  But that's OK, everyone has different preferences as to how some product looks.   One thing for sure though, when it's a silver grille and the sun hits it just right it can look like a laser beam being directed right at you.   

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pib said:

To add to Pib's note, Tesla do not have distributors too. Luckily for Tesla, I understand from Youtuber Electric Viking that in China currently, about 20% of the distributors are making money. China is going through a rough time in the automobile sector. 

9 minutes ago, Pib said:

Yea....big, huge grilles serve as a "prestige" badge for some....maybe they feel it screams wealth.  But that's OK, everyone has different preferences as to how some product looks.   One thing for sure though, when it's a silver grille and the sun hits it just right it can look like a laser beam being directed right at you.   

Or maybe they just thing they look good and want to sell them. Nothing new, and it seems all the pickups and SUVs have been going back that way again. 

alphard.jpg.885b5566a87c2405cb841c725ca83fcf.jpgChevy.jpg.5b3b85bb24bc9f79a90ef45cd9ebda36.jpg 

MG.thumb.png.37aa428a7e16e3a9bc37c6cb4ffdf1b8.png

31 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Not a fan myself of those big grills, that's just ugly.   Looked at Denza D9 (online), ugly as all hell, front grill, but does have a 103kWh battery pack 👍

image.png.9687aaef9ca6ee983d4b7a869b65be5c.png

Yes, looks awful, a bit like the Maxus pickup with MG bling, ridiculous..

2021 MG Extender Pickup Detailed Ahead Of Debut Next Week At ...

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, transam said:

Yes, looks awful, a bit like the Maxus pickup with MG bling, ridiculous..

2021 MG Extender Pickup Detailed Ahead Of Debut Next Week At ...

The big grill adds even more "prestige" and pays homage to the esteemed MG badge. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Yellowtail said:

The big grill adds even more "prestige" and pays homage to the esteemed MG badge. 

John Morris is banging on his box lid over it............😂

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

Yes ... 80 yes of failure under ...

image.png.05fe579bda4e5e5de8b1bd14a865a5df.png

Now 20 yrs of success & profits, under ... 

CH.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, marino28 said:

https://electrek.co/2024/04/08/byd-launch-next-gen-ev-battery-more-range-lower-price/

this one is a game changer. 
if really in the near future the range go up do 1000km and the price will be even more cheap than now. I think I will buy one ev.

Not really a game change....just a good improvement in BYD Blade Battery capacity of approx 27%.   And that 1000km estimate is based on CLTC range estimation without saying how big the KWH battery size would need to be in a certain car model.  CLTC ranges are optimistic....even more optimistic than the optimistic NEDC estimate.   

For example, a BYD Atto 3 Extended range with 60.5KWH Blade Battery has a CLTC range of 510Km, a  NEDC of 480Km, and a WLTP of 420Km.     Say the the Atto 3 battery pack physical sized remained the same but its Gen 1 Blade Battery cells were replaced with this new Gen 2 cell with 27% more capacity it would now have around 77KWH capacity with a CLTC range of around 650Km, NEDC of 610, and WLTP of 535Km.

• Thumbs Up 1