Electric Vehicles in Thailand

4 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Interesting. Yes, I would definitely classify this as a car fire as a result of a big accident. I wonder if it was an ICEV, would there have been an explosion? What’s also interesting is that someone, presumably the fire fighters turned the car over to fight the fire. Also, if I understand correctly, the fire was put out within 3 hours. If it was a thermal runaway situation, could it have been put out as quickly?

Car fire explosions are mostly TV and movie stuff. Most car fires are put out in a few minutes once a crew is on it. 

Did the car not roll over during the crash? 

To be clear, I do not believe there is any more fire risk with an EV vs and ICEV, and I think the risk of either catching fire very low.

Looks like everyone got out okay, good news that. 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

Car fire explosions are mostly TV and movie stuff. Most car fires are put out in a few minutes once a crew is on it. 

Did the car not roll over during the crash? 

To be clear, I do not believe there is any more fire risk with an EV vs and ICEV, and I think the risk of either catching fire very low.

Looks like everyone got out okay, good news that. 

Operative words being once a crew is on it. Many years ago, some young hooligans stole a car and set it on fire in the grass verge opposite my house, in what would be considered a nice area in one of the home counties. Fire crew never got to the scene as no one reported it. I didn’t report it as I wanted to see what would happen. Sure enough, after a few minutes, the gas tank exploded.

The car rolled but you can see clearly in the video that the wheels were on the ground when the the person inside managed to get out. The video then skipped to when the fire crew had arrived and the wheels were up in the air. Maybe the fire department had decided that the best way to fight EV fires were to have the batteries exposed where they can try to cool it down directly with water.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Operative words being once a crew is on it. Many years ago, some young hooligans stole a car and set it on fire in the grass verge opposite my house, in what would be considered a nice area in one of the home counties. Fire crew never got to the scene as no one reported it. I didn’t report it as I wanted to see what would happen. Sure enough, after a few minutes, the gas tank exploded.

Yeah, and it can take weeks to put out a cigarette butt in a dry forest if you wait a day to get to it. 

10 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

The car rolled but you can see clearly in the video that the wheels were on the ground when the the person inside managed to get out. The video then skipped to when the fire crew had arrived and the wheels were up in the air. Maybe the fire department had decided that the best way to fight EV fires were to have the batteries exposed where they can try to cool it down directly with water.

Not clear to me, I watched it again and it looks to me like it was wheels up when the people got out. After that the camera angle changes. 

I can't imagine how a local fire crew could get it turned over while it was still going. 

8 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Yeah, and it can take weeks to put out a cigarette butt in a dry forest if you wait a day to get to it. 

Not clear to me, I watched it again and it looks to me like it was wheels up when the people got out. After that the camera angle changes. 

I can't imagine how a local fire crew could get it turned over while it was still going. 

I watched the video again and you are right. The car had turned turtle. I stand corrected.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

I watched the video again and you are right. The car had turned turtle. I stand corrected.

And the people got out like it was nothing. 

I wonder what would have happened had they busted off the fire-plug...

Speaking of video, here's an interesting video about how unsafe Chinese EV's are.  One case in this video is about the new super luxury chinese suv which ran into the back of a truck. The doors could not be opened, the airbags did not work, and every died inside the vehicle.  There was then a big censorship push by the government to deny these things, until the car company came out and basically admitted the story was true.  Another incident in Malaysia where the rear suspension breaks for no apparent reason.  

Good luck in these quality built vehicles!

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

And the people got out like it was nothing. 

I wonder what would have happened had they busted off the fire-plug...

What’s a fire-plug?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dhupverg said:

Speaking of video, here's an interesting video about how unsafe Chinese EV's are.  One case in this video is about the new super luxury chinese suv which ran into the back of a truck. The doors could not be opened, the airbags did not work, and every died inside the vehicle.  There was then a big censorship push by the government to deny these things, until the car company came out and basically admitted the story was true.  Another incident in Malaysia where the rear suspension breaks for no apparent reason.  

Good luck in these quality built vehicles!

So don’t buy a Chinese made EV. Sorted.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Another Seal flapping helpless around in the middle of traffic while the owner is enjoying a bit of sunshine 🌞 next to the car.

Anyone care to venture a guess as to what happened?

Flat tire, flat battery, electrical fault… Definitely not a fire, not yet anyways lol

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Another Seal flapping helpless around in the middle of traffic while the owner is enjoying a bit of sunshine 🌞 next to the car.

Anyone care to venture a guess as to what happened?

Could be an accident with the motorbike (Grab Driver) behind them and they wait for insurance agents / police. 

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Only 1 minute in it shows an obviously NOT EV running into the back of a truck.

Yes that will be the Aito M7 range extended EV that killed three occupants including a child. Rescue attempts failed because the doors were locked. I believe the mother of the child has raised questions about the cars extensive safety systems mentioned during purchase.  

Edited by Fruit Trader

18 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Then post a link to a racist anti-China video. Announce that EVs from China are unsafe without the first bloody clue what they are talking about

That will be the video created by Winston Sterzel who lived in China for 15 years and married a Chinese doctor.

You got to love those racist cards.

Conquering Northern China

Enter confused emojis stage right...

On 5/4/2024 at 11:51 AM, Bandersnatch said:

The Ora Lightning Cat now called the 07 was the 10th best selling EV and we haven’t really talked about it much here. Paul Tan’s review is pretty comprehensive

”This car has gone by many many names over the last 2 years, it has been called the Ora Sport, Ora Lightning Cat, the Grand Cat, the Flash Cat, the Next Cat or as some people have called it the Copy Cat”

IMG_1642.jpeg.32110d4d71e5d33c945eb586873316d3.jpeg 

Small Cat, based on the engine. 

Screenshot_20240505_182645_Facebook.jpg

11 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

So this “ EV “ has a 1.5 litre Turbo internal combustion engine and up to 60 litres of fuel in a tank as well as the 40 kWh ternary battery ?

But let’s forget that this wasn’t a full EV vehicle and label it together with all EV issues, meanwhile the cause of the accident was believed to be caused by technology also found in ICE vehicles.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Caixin/Fatal-car-crash-mars-Huawei-s-efforts-to-break-into-EV-market#:~:text=On April 26%2C an Aito,who was in the car.

It’s always saddening to hear of any casualties in any car accident. It’s bordering on criminal to attribute the cause to a falsehood based on bias and prejudice. (Hope that makes sense).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

image.png.01a38589269f0cbf9307b5f4a28c3914.png

At around 1:13 of the video you can see flame shooting down....see above snapshot.  At first I thought this might be the LFP 12V auxiliary battery but from some googling I guess the 12v battery is under the rear seat.    If the Seal was upright on its wheels that location would be on the right rear next to the charging port.   I'm just trying to figure out what would cause the flames to shootout/shoot straight down like under pressure from this location in the trunk?

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

Who are these people?

They jump into a 6,000+ comment discussion without reading any previous posts, totally ignoring the title of the discussion or the OPs opening remarks about what the discussion is about.

Then post a link to a racist anti-China video. Announce that EVs from China are unsafe without the first bloody clue what they are talking about

How many Chinese do you own? None obviously.

How many have you driven? None obviously.

So how the hell does that make you an objective arbiter on the safety of Chinese EVs.

I own 2 Chinese EVs and have driven several more. Why do they get 5* euro NCAP ratings because they are unsafe?

You might think you are welcome to you own (uniformed) opinions but you’re not welcome here until you have read my opening post, where you find links to anti china and anti EV discussions where you be welcomed with open arms.

Who are you again? Are you the new owner of the forum and thus can dictate what can or can't be said in a thread.  Pardon me guv.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

I wasted an afternoon in BKK looking for the Tesla Store, which is even to this day still recorded on the official website as at Siam Paragon

IMG_1647.jpeg.d0b597da05e589c67e85785eac2cd11c.jpeg

instead of  7/1 Ramkhamhaeng Rd, Khwaeng Saphan Sung, Khet Saphan Sung, Bangkok 10240. 

IMG_1648.thumb.jpeg.357424919b94108a70bdfafc955cc6d0.jpeg

Good job Tesla  - have only one physical store in whole country of Thailand and make sure your official website sends people to a random shopping center instead. 

That is Thai addresses for you though…