Electric Vehicles in Thailand

1 hour ago, josephbloggs said:

"Real life testing" is driving flat out around the Nurburgring?? Really??

Again you are talking rubbish. A Nissan GT-R uses almost half a tank on a flying lap. (Same as the Tesla used almost half its battery).

A BMW 135i uses about a quarter of a tank on a lap, as does a Subaru Impreza WRX STi.

I have no comment on the Tesla's brakes - maybe they are not very good.

Too late to edit my answer, but @Cameroni why do you think they have petrol stations on the Nordschleife?

Not sure if you know what this race track is, how long it is, how hilly it is, or how brutal it is for all kinds of vehicles. More than 300m of elevation gain around the circuit. 170+ corners. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

I seem to be finding secret caches of EVs everywhere I look. This time I found a whole load of Changan (I think) lurking in a central Bangkok location. I was having my headlights polished (not a euphemism) and these were across the road.

image.jpeg.5577de8f6e4b58764982e56bc3dabe9f.jpeg

image.jpeg.da45a1df7243d15ac62e68eb30e2be66.jpeg

And - just for EOW - here's a non EV (not on fire either, although it sure goes like it is - a GR Yaris, a snip at something over 2 million)

image.jpeg.7a763811a2335ade7d95bd993ff57756.jpeg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

And - just for EOW - here's a non EV (not on fire either, although it sure goes like it is - a GR Yaris, a snip at something over 2 million)

Too slow, BYD Seal Performance far faster & superior.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

I seem to be finding secret caches of EVs everywhere I look. This time I found a whole load of Changan (I think) lurking in a central Bangkok location. I was having my headlights polished (not a euphemism) and these were across the road.

image.jpeg.5577de8f6e4b58764982e56bc3dabe9f.jpeg

image.jpeg.da45a1df7243d15ac62e68eb30e2be66.jpeg

BB9 our man in the field, keeping an eay what is (not moving) in the EV industry.

This time I am more interested in your headlight story, did it work?

My headlight are as distorted as they get. I have tried various DIY kits, but they are deteriorate on the inside and BMW molded the plastic cover to the housing, so it is all or nothing if I replace them.

Screenshot_20240831_185734_Photos.jpg

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

BB9 our man in the field, keeping an eay what is (not moving) in the EV industry.

My headlight are as distorted as they get. I have tried various DIY kits, but they are deteriorate on the inside and BMW molded the plastic cover to the housing, so it is all or nothing if I replace them.

You need a buffer and some cutting compound. Most of that is on the outside. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

So, if I drive the speed limit, if possible, say 90 kph on most highways in TH, do you think I'll be OK ????????

In a normal petrol car should be fine, in one of those glorified electric golf carts I'd make sure you're charged up....

Also make sure your battery is not burning...

:cheesy:

• Confused 4
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Cameroni said:

In a normal petrol car should be fine, in one of those glorified electric golf carts I'd make sure you're charged up....

Also make sure your battery is not burning...

:cheesy:

You should go fishing with EOW, as nothing biting here 

image.png.7b490eb5a8f11fa684d108969171e638.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Is that your MG  EB? 

I wish ... and yea, I was actually looking at EBs, or even kayak, and they even have E-SUP/surfboards.   Since living surfside ish.   All silly priced and need to be imported.   Then I'd be buying fishing rods, and prepping for the apocalypses   :cheesy:

Edited by KhunLA

1 hour ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

The great majority of that should sand-out...wet sanding.  Start with 800 grit and finish with 2000 to 3000 grit.  You can do this by hand but a rotary sander/buffer would be better.   After the sanding using some polishing paste after the 2000 grit would be a good idea.  Finish up with some sealant/clear coat (important) such as below.   Sure worked on my 2009 Fortuner that wasn't as bad as above (about half as bad).   Don't use any chemicals to clean the lens as it can make them look better for a short time but it don't last and chemical can actually damage the lens.

image.png.efbd2b5cec1018c93a994efc2b03eb62.png

Edited by Pib

7 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Oh, so you’re admitting to being a troll?

No, but I'm tired of you trolling me, and if you add me to your list, you will not see my posts and your nonsensical responses will stop. 

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Indeed it did. As per some helpful other posts it needs abrasion (sandpaper) and a fresh lacquer coat. Cost THB 800 and was done in less than an hour. I'd say back to 95% of original for mine. Not bad for a 13 yo car and it looks so much better.

To keep on topic: also works for EV headlights.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

Indeed it did. As per some helpful other posts it needs abrasion (sandpaper) and a fresh lacquer coat. Cost THB 800 and was done in less than an hour. I'd say back to 95% of original for mine. Not bad for a 13 yo car and it looks so much better.

To keep on topic: also works for EV headlights.

EV plastic never yellows

15 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

Too slow, BYD Seal Performance far faster & superior.

Going to have to disagree with you here JB. Seal, Scmheal. Meh. Straight line fast but other than that, out of the box I'm sure you'd need to do a lot of work on suspension / brakes at a minimum to really hoon it around. Buy a Yaris now and you can also sell it in a year for more than you paid for it. Won't be doing that with a Seal.

What's not to like about this (and this is the pre-2024 model!)

Engine: 1,618cc, turbocharged 3-cyl
Transmission: 6-speed manual, all-wheel drive
Power (hp): 261@6,500rpm
Torque (lb ft): 266@3,000-4,600rpm
0-62mph: 5.5 seconds
Top speed: 143mph (electronically limited)
Weight: 1,280-1,310kg (minimum and maximum)
MPG: 34.3
CO2: 186g/km driving
On sale: 2020-date
Price: £29,995 (2020, before Circuit Pack or Convenience Pack)
Price now: £30,000-£40,000

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-features/gr-yaris-wins-best-hot-hatch-of-last-25-years/46989

42 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

Going to have to disagree with you here JB. Seal, Scmheal. Meh. Straight line fast but other than that, out of the box I'm sure you'd need to do a lot of work on suspension / brakes at a minimum to really hoon it around. Buy a Yaris now and you can also sell it in a year for more than you paid for it. Won't be doing that with a Seal.

Engine: 1,618cc, turbocharged 3-cyl
Transmission: 6-speed manual, all-wheel drive
Power (hp): 261@6,500rpm
Torque (lb ft): 266@3,000-4,600rpm
0-62mph: 5.5 seconds
Top speed: 143mph (electronically limited)
Weight: 1,280-1,310kg (minimum and maximum)
MPG: 34.3
CO2: 186g/km driving
On sale: 2020-date
Price: £29,995 (2020, before Circuit Pack or Convenience Pack)
Price now: £30,000-£40,000

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-features/gr-yaris-wins-best-hot-hatch-of-last-25-years/46989

I'm sure it's a lot of fun to drive, but hard work.  I would be interesting to see the numbers of that and the Seal around the Nürburgring.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

BYD Seal AWD Performance v Toyota GR Yaris 

Yaris over 1million Baht more 

GRYaris.jpg.73c0b8e375a111a5b42c73f4cde0b531.jpg

BYD Seal AWD:

Power: 523 hp

Torque: 670 Nm

0-100kph 3.8 seconds

Yaris GR 2024  - lots of inconsistency in the figures I saw online so I don't feel comfortable posting any of them  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

I'm sure it's a lot of fun to drive, but hard work.  I would be interesting to see the numbers of that and the Seal around the Nürburgring.

I can't give a Nurburgring time, but here's Castle Combe: https://fastestlaps.com/tracks/castle-combe

Seal did well: https://byd.carmagazine.co.uk/byd-seal-electric-track-test

However I'd still prefer the GR Yaris for this.

Back to EVs in Thailand: Take your Seal to Buriram or Bira and give us a track day report!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1