Energy Min Urges People to Reduce Energy Usage By 10%

webfact

0ef7b13d4c700ad150063d64c1abe43d_small.jpg

by Na-ark Rojanasuvan

BANGKOK (NNT) - People are advised to reduce 10% of their daily energy consumption, in order to combat inflation. The suggestion came as Thai people are facing economic hardships stemming from the prolonged COVID-19 pandemic and the ramifications of the armed conflict between Russia and Ukraine.

Deputy Prime Minister and Energy Minister Supattanapong Punmeechaow offered the advice and announced that his ministry would release its performance report in the middle of next month.

He underlined that the current economic challenges were being faced globally and that the administration was looking at several measures to reduce reliance on imports, especially fuel.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

The minister explained that reducing the consumption of fuel and electricity by 10% would greatly help the nation save on energy expenses.

Minister Supattanapong then solicited entrepreneurs’ participation in finding ways to cut manufacturing costs and refraining from unreasonably raising the pricing of their products.

He said inflation this year will likely be in the range of 3% and 5%, quoting the Bank of Thailand’s projection.

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2022-04-21

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Haha 1

Just now, Iamfalang said:

Also peer reviewed studies, not to exceed 10.   Satellite imagery for confirmation as well.  Citations notarized!

AC on negative 20.  

snowing in my room

Hopefully then your key board will freeze up, if not your fingers, and we may be spared your many not amusing (IMHO) responses........:wacko:

For clarity I was actually interested to find out more since the poster I quoted seemed to have the info....... 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, internationalism said:

"Thailand simply has too much energy now,

Thanks for the link. Very interesting article and also explains the mysterious (to me) FT adjustment on the leccy bills -

For most consumers, this means the price rising a couple satangs each month without their awareness. These adjustments are factored into the Ft cost, a variable tariff calculated by the Metropolitan Electricity Authority and shown on the monthly invoice.

The Ft cost is murky because it automatically covers additional costs and is laid on top of the electricity production price, which is the average of all energy sources...........

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Deputy Prime Minister and Energy Minister Supattanapong Punmeechaow offered the advice and announced that his ministry would release its performance report in the middle of next month.

Time he was put-out-to-grass.

Best way to approach this is pretty obvious as many other countries have.

Offer incentive through individual solar installation by government subsidy.

Payback does not take all that long as far as either the consumer or the gov are concerned.

My system here in Aus (5kw) produces on a good day 32kwh (average @ around 24kwh/day) of which I used possibly 14kwh. Some is directed into storage hws and the rest, back to the grid.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, internationalism said:

as thailand has surplus of electric power, they should not increase price to help boost economy, even if global prices for oil and gas went up.

With no tourism and many industries in decline giving some discounted price would allow them to survive.

There is no need to reduce on electricity for air conditioning (one of the main part of bill) as this year temperatures are moderate.

Tempetures are moderate? It's the beginning of the hottest time of the year, it's bloody boiling. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, internationalism said:

In 2021 thai electricity surplus rose to 41%, as economy is slowing down.

"Thailand simply has too much energy now, with an installed generation capacity higher than power demand. Most countries keep an electricity surplus of about 15% to accommodate fluctuations. In the past decade, Thailand's energy reserve has risen to 38%, with an excess of 17,564 megawatts in 2020"

https://southeastasiaglobe.com/thailand-electricity-laos-mekong-power

The intersting question, what is the excess energy coming from? Hydropower - wind - solar, or coal, oil and gas? 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Daithi85 said:

Tempetures are moderate? It's the beginning of the hottest time of the year, it's bloody boiling. 

You are having a laugh, yes.

I got this months bill yesterday, showed 345 units, the same period last year was 555 units.

In the last 5 months by electricity bill is down about a third on the same period last year.

In over 20 years I have never known such a protracted cool period.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Considering Thailand lives is probably the most hottest , sunniest place on the planet (to me anyway), you'd think with sun power they would never have issues with cheap electric. Bad management of resources to me, sack the lot of them

There is no issue with the price of electricity, only with cheap charlies.

How about cut the damned taxes on electricity until the Soviets invasion stabalizes and oil prices fall.

Of course thats out of the question.

This me,me,me government needs a boot up thier a**.

Edited by MrJ2U
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

How about cut the damned taxes on electricity until the Soviets invasion stabalizes and oil prices fall.

Of course thats out of the question.

This me,me,me government needs a boot up thier a**.

Since Russias oil and gass is becoming boycotted, I believe we just have to get used to the prices by now if not higher. 

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

Since Russias oil and gass is becoming boycotted, I believe we just have to get used to the prices by now if not higher. 

30% of a liter of fuel is taxes and fees.

That's a lot and should be cut in half.

We all know once diesal goes up so does everything in the market.

Brace yourself with <deleted> of masses of people.

Hopefully.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hummin said:

The intersting question, what is the excess energy coming from? Hydropower - wind - solar, or coal, oil and gas? 

it's explained further below paragraph which I have quoted. 

Lao hydroelectricity is half price of fuel electricity production in thailand itself.

All the graphs are also there

Edited by internationalism

4 hours ago, Daithi85 said:

Up in Chiang Mai we've had 3 days at 35c, the rest of this year has been mostly cool, 30c or less, with frequent rain.

The air-con has only been on for 2 hours this month.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Up in Chiang Mai we've had 3 days at 35c, the rest of this year has been mostly cool, 30c or less, with frequent rain.

The air-con has only been on for 2 hours this month.

Sounds great, wish I was up there.