Staying 9 months to a year... Or indefinitely?

Would it be possible to get visa extensions so I could stay for a year or possiblity more? I would be supporting myself with remote work.

I used to go to Laos and get 90 day visas but are people still going to the Thai consulate in Laos?

People have told me about the STV but I've read that it ended in September 2021?

Are all the extensions done in Thailand now?

• Like 1

Go back to your own country and obtain a METV.

That will enable a 9 month stay.

After that use your 2 visa exempt entries via land border per calendar year with 30 day extension. 

That's one year +.

Do not expect to that as a wash and repeat.

Best option if under 50 and not married to a Thai is a PE visa.

What's your age and how long would you be wanting to stay in Thailand. 

Edited by DrJack54

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Go back to your own country and obtain a METV.

That will enable a 9 month stay.

After that use your 2 visa exempt entries per calendar year with 30 day extension. 

That's one year +.

Do not expect to that as a wash and repeat.

Best option if under 50 and not married to a Thai is a PE visa.

What's your age and how long would you be wanting to stay in Thailand. 

I'm 41 and I'd like to stay at least a year but maybe a few. TH is like home to me.

I'm in Hawaii so I might have to fly to a different island to get a special visa, which is expensive and a pain.

What does the PE stand for? I'll look it up. Also, what is the education visa like these days? 

13 minutes ago, kingofallasians said:

I'm 41 and I'd like to stay at least a year but maybe a few. TH is like home to me.

I'm in Hawaii so I might have to fly to a different island to get a special visa, which is expensive and a pain.

What does the PE stand for? I'll look it up. Also, what is the education visa like these days? 

Elite visa cost 600k bth and valid 5 years. If you have that money that is not pain in butt solution.

https://www.thailandelitevisas.com/membership-overview/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7Ievnv6s9wIVFWEYCh1ijwIcEAAYASAAEgK33_D_BwE

Edited by 2 is 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:

Elite visa cost 600k bth and valid 5 years. If you have that money that is not pain in butt solution.

https://www.thailandelitevisas.com/membership-overview/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7Ievnv6s9wIVFWEYCh1ijwIcEAAYASAAEgK33_D_BwE

Wouldn't the 20 year Elite Superiority be a much better deal?

5 year @ 600K = 120K baht per year

20 year @ 1M baht = 50K baht per year.

I know the OP only needs 9 years until he can get a retirement visa, but those 11 extra years on the Elite would save him from needing to deal with any of the retirement visa stuff.  If he's the kind of person who would do agents, that's 11 years of savings from paying them.  And if he's a do-it-yourself kind of guy, he wouldn't need to bother with depositing money here until he's in his 60s. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, kingofallasians said:

Also, what is the education visa like these days?

There are numerous threads regarding ED visa.

Yes it's an option. The requirements of attendance etc have changed in recent years. 

3 minutes ago, asiacurious said:

Wouldn't the 20 year Elite Superiority be a much better deal?

5 year @ 600K = 120K baht per year

20 year @ 1M baht = 50K baht per year.

I know the OP only needs 9 years until he can get a retirement visa, but those 11 extra years on the Elite would save him from needing to deal with any of the retirement visa stuff.  If he's the kind of person who would do agents, that's 11 years of savings from paying them.  And if he's a do-it-yourself kind of guy, he wouldn't need to bother with depositing money here until he's in his 60s. 

He say he want stay a year or maybe more! But its up to him. I think he see all possible visas from link what i put!

2 minutes ago, asiacurious said:

Wouldn't the 20 year Elite Superiority be a much better deal

From the OP.....

"Would it be possible to get visa extensions so I could stay for a year or possiblity more?" 

Doesn't really sound like long term ongoing is the plan.

Yes I did mention PE in earlier post.

His best option imo is METV. 

Official site for Thai Elite is https://www.thailandelite.com/

It was the only option for me being under 40 and not married and it saved me from having to fly back home on literally the last day I was allowed to stay. The Elite staff have been very professional and helpful so far and they seem to be improving the program as well since I've joined.

I also feel like TH is home to me so even if I don't use the full 5 years to stay continuously, it's nice to know I can leave and come back as many times as I want without hassle.

Edited by Ohyesuare
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kingofallasians said:

Not sure what you mean by this.  If you're an American passport holder and legal permanent resident then it would all be done online.

3 hours ago, kingofallasians said:

Would it be possible to get visa extensions so I could stay for a year or possiblity more?

Apply for METV online in USA as far as I know...

You get 9 months out of it by exiting a few days before it expires which is 6 months from the ISSUE date not ENTRY date..then extend that extra 2 months you got by another month at immigration for 1900 Baht

Get visa-exempt at a border (30 days) and an extension taking you to 11 months or go and get a SETV (60 days) to take you to a year with a month extension on that :-

just under 9 months + 2 exiting to a nearby county and back

or

just under 9 months + 3 going for a visa nearby.

STV or Ed visa would be the two best options for a 1 year stay if you don't qualify for a retirement Visa. Neither really extendable past that though unless you use an agent for a new Ed visa. If you were hinting as Visa runs to Laos (or other close by countries) for a year, no chance. They will deny you entry on probably 2nd or third trip now, they are a lot more strict with it recently.

3 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

yeah but it takes nine months to pop out a rugrat so what does old mate do in the meantime? 

It is also worth mentioning that it is not always the case that bonking will immediately result in pregnancy. Also, before proceeding with this dastardly plan, I would verify what the young woman in question will ask for in return, both immediately, and in return for cooperating with ongoing visa applications (on the assumption that you will not be able to get sole custody). Note that there is also some cost involved in keeping children alive. Unlike dolls, you cannot just put them away in a cupboard until you want to take them out to play with.

If you are proposing this as an alternative to the hassle of visa runs, perhaps it is time to reconsider.

13 hours ago, kingofallasians said:

You can stay at home and apply for a visa to the official Thai consulate in LA online now. It is done completely online now and you will get a stickerless visa by email.

See the e visa website.  https://thaievisa.go.th/

They are issuing the multiple entry tourist visa (METV) now.

11 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

From the OP.....

"Would it be possible to get visa extensions so I could stay for a year or possiblity more?" 

Doesn't really sound like long term ongoing is the plan.

Yes I did mention PE in earlier post.

His best option imo is METV. 

That's what I thought at first.  METV FTW!  

(I'm a big proponent of that option, though the need to leave and re-enter every 60 days can get tiring after a while.  Best for people looking to stay for a year or so, or those who are a little short of a retirement visa.)

The OP later responded to replies with...

11 hours ago, kingofallasians said:

Hmmm....  A few years?  TH is like home?  Sounds like he already feels a certain way about staying longer term, and if he stays 3 years I'd wager there's a good chance he'll want 3 more after that.  Then another 3.  He's only 41 and hasn't asked about work visas, so I'd guess he has the money to support himself without employment.  If not, a job w/ work visa is a better option.

The 20 year elite for 1,000K baht might seem a bit extreme but in my mind - and yeah, maybe only in my mind?! - it's seems a better choice than the 5 year elite for 600K baht suggestion that I was responding to.

But if really only for 1-3 years?  METV!  I posted this in another thread a couple days ago, but I thought it might be helpful for the OP here.  I've set the start date to January 1, 2023 which makes it really easy to see exactly how the METV works....

image.thumb.png.64c5bd3fc728f043f233a0d32ed8d151.png

6 hours ago, BritTim said:

It is also worth mentioning that it is not always the case that bonking will immediately result in pregnancy. Also, before proceeding with this dastardly plan, I would verify what the young woman in question will ask for in return, both immediately, and in return for cooperating with ongoing visa applications (on the assumption that you will not be able to get sole custody). Note that there is also some cost involved in keeping children alive. Unlike dolls, you cannot just put them away in a cupboard until you want to take them out to play with.

If you are proposing this as an alternative to the hassle of visa runs, perhaps it is time to reconsider.

mate it was another fella that proposed it, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy ????

16 hours ago, Ohyesuare said:

Official site for Thai Elite is https://www.thailandelite.com/

It was the only option for me being under 40 and not married and it saved me from having to fly back home on literally the last day I was allowed to stay. The Elite staff have been very professional and helpful so far

Last time I looked, yes OK if you live in Bangkok but living anywhere else it is helpful by phone only which isn't great.

1 hour ago, Tuvoc said:

Last time I looked, yes OK if you live in Bangkok but living anywhere else it is helpful by phone only which isn't great.

You mean their services? Yes some are Bangkok only. I only really got it for the visa and the free taxi options which they've now expanded to places further than Bangkok and departure/arrival fastlane/lounge are a nice bonus. They're very quick to respond and helpful over email too. I never bother calling them.

18 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Yawn. Working at home in your own room or condo on a laptop/pc is never going to be seen. Some need to get over the work permit BS. Sure if you're sitting in a co-work space sipping lattes you may get busted if raided but is that really work? Can't hold private conversations or meetings and are they available 24/7 for all time zones. I say chill and worry about more important stuff such as obtaining revenue and keeping client satisfaction. 

As long as some "concerned citizen" doesn't report you to cops. Everything is not a problem until it is.

There are digital nomad options that don't require a work permit if I remember correctly? There was also a smart visa that allows work? Don't recall details but there were posters about it at the One stop center at Chamchuri Square....