Cop who killed doctor on Bangkok zebra crossing jailed for a year - no suspended sentence

webfact

I have to admit today I was forced to drive over a zebra crossing with red light. I wanted to stop, but after a look in my rear mirror I decided it's safer not to stop. And at that time there were no pedestrians on the zebra crossing.

I thought over the last weeks I observed that more riders and drivers stop. But it seems now everything is back to "normal" again. Almost nobody stops. TiT!

And for the record: I stop almost always. But never before looking in my rear mirror expecting danger arriving fast from behind.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, internationalism said:

he stole this bike from a police station. This bike wasn't registered, no road insurance. 

He didn't have to pay anything to get it for his daily use.

here you can read all details of this case

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/opinion/2022/01/30/opinion-life-is-cheap-in-thailand-and-even-cheaper-on-thai-roads/

That story does not say he stole the bike, only that he did not pay road tax. Where did you get the information it was stolen?

11 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

At 21 he must just be out of medical school and even that sounds very suspect as a medical degree usually takes anything from 5 to 7 years. So was he at most 16 when he went to medical school?

The doctor was 33 years old and was a SHE !!

The cop is 21 years old .

Edited by Andrew Dwyer
  • Thanks 1

One year in jail...shocking. It would be interesting to know the motivation of the sentence. In any case, cases like that i.e. killing in road incidents and very soft punishment happen in Europe as well. Road incidents' legislation is not as tough as it should be in many countries, one should wonder why.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CharlieH said:

To me, thats a "token" sentence because of the profile in the media. Had it NOT had that exposure he probably would have walked.

I feel a ONE year sentence which may actually be alot less in reality before his release, is shocking for the Death of a young woman. Once again, there is no or little consequences and therby little deterrent to others. 

In Oz get 10 years for that. Maybe out in 7 good behaviour.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Yes, it was reported on many times, it was an older bike, priced at B80k and police officers, along with most Thais, can get finance.

No it was reported that he took it, without permission, from a police impound yard

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

At 21 he must just be out of medical school and even that sounds very suspect as a medical degree usually takes anything from 5 to 7 years. So was he at most 16 when he went to medical school?

He at 21 years old is the policeman not the doctor

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nikmar said:

did anyone look into how a 21 yr old can afford to run a big bike on police wages?

i'll hazard a guess...

errr... perhaps by "decorating" someone's head with plastic bags?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Just by way of comparison, vehicular manslaughter carries a 14 yr - LIFE sentence in the UK.

Now that or near that, would have been more appropriate and send the right message to others. (IMHO)

By way of comparison my English wife of almost 30 years was killed in Greece by a drunk driver with his foot in plaster, while crossing the road. Not allowed in court to say he was drunk as his insurance would not have paid out. He got away without serving any jail time. Insurance paid out after about four years, equivalent to about 10 years of my wife's pension that was stopped when she died. 

So Greek justice is not too different to Thai justice.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

It handed down a custodial sentence of 1 year and 15 days to the young policeman with no suspension of the term.

He was also fined a total of 4,000 baht,

Not bad for manslaughter... and as we know it continues.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

... at a speed of 108-128 kmph...

Doing that speed on a road as narrow as that, near an intersection, with traffic to boot, shows this Norawich Buadok is nothing but a brain-dead tw@t.

In Thailand, even if all the vehicles are stopped before a zebra crossing (rare), one must still peer down the narrow gaps and crevices between stopped cars to make sure no idiots like Buadok is charging along.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Yes, it was reported on many times, it was an older bike, priced at B80k and police officers, along with most Thais, can get finance.

Take away that he was a police offices and she was a doctor this wouldn't even make the news.

Just now, Black Ops said:

So it would seem the message here is if you want to "take someone out" do it with a motorcycle and you'll only get a year !

Joy riding on impounded property, fun for the boys !

this is not unique to thailand, prison sentences in many countries are often lenient for those causing injury or death on the roads

As expected:

THE NATION: A police lance corporal, who was sentenced to slightly over a year in jail for a fatal road accident while riding a bike, was released on bail on Monday after he appealed against the verdict #Thailand

https://twitter.com/home?lang=en

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40014908

4RiEtnAu?format=jpg&name=900x900

Edited by anchadian

This kid literally got away with a murder, apart from riding someone else motorcycle, probably without insurance and whatever else  ????????‍♂️ Now, just imagine if a foreigner, farang, westerner however the name us all was involved in this motorcycle accidents, surely they would’ve thrown the jail keys away unless you’d pay millions of baths ????????‍♂️ 
This is just so wrong ! I feel truly sad for the doctor who  at least crossed the pedestrian lines ( probably without looking as the often do ! ) Who left her young life on the worn out tarmac ????

• Like 1
  • Sad 2