Many consumer products in Thailand about to increase in price

snoop1130

000_1PX76S-1.jpg

A customer looks at shelves of food as people gathered to shop amid concerns over the COVID-19 coronavirus at a supermarket in Bangkok on March 16, 2020. (Photo by Jack TAYLOR / AFP)

Consumers in Thailand will be feeling the pinch of rising prices of a wide range of products, from instant coffee, cooking oil and instant noodles to condensed milk, shampoo and soap among others, as a result of the fallout from oil price increases.

Several manufacturers have already notified their wholesale outlets of price increases, to become effective on May 1st, although prices of several products have already quietly increased.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

The price increases of many products may not yet have taken into account the increase in the price of diesel fuel, initially, from 30-baht/litre to 32-baht/litre, effective on May 1st, which will push up transportation costs.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/many-consumer-products-in-thailand-about-to-increase-in-price/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-04-29

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The price increases of many products may not yet have taken into account the increase in the price of diesel fuel, initially, from 30-baht/litre to 32-baht/litre, effective on May 1st, which will push up transportation costs.

And I think this is set to rise 1 baht per month, up to the stated 35 baht ceiling.

16 hours ago, ThLT said:

And probably when things will be back to normal in a year or a few years... and fuel will be back to normal prices... almost all companies won't reduce prices to reflect fuel prices.

Chang beer price already price increased in 7/11

1 hour ago, loong said:

Certainly some people can save but the vast majority can not.

Do you really think that a Thai person earning less than 10,000 Baht per month can save anything?

Especially a single mother with a couple of kids.

There aren't many earning 10,000 a month these days. There's a fast-growing middle class. Single mothers are struggling anywhere, and the growing number of single parents problem isn't being addressed at source, anywhere that I can see. It's certainly a huge problem in my native UK, with almost all those shown visiting food banks are in that position. I have no idea why, now, so many couples split up. There seems to be so little compromise, gave and take, which any marriage needs to make it work. That appears to have gone out of fashion, yet it isn't talked about or addressed at all. And, of course, split families lead to all kinds of other problems, such as what was a family needing two houses whereas before only one was needed, which leads to more demand which leads to higher prices.

• Confused 6

Just now, kennw said:
3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Not the old 'all Thais are poor' nonsense. Pleeeze. You would be amazed how much money many Thai people have stashed away or invested in land or gold, ordinary people, because unlike us they save instead of spending on foreign holidays and many consumer goods.

Wrong, many Thais live from payday to payday.

I think that applies to places other than Thailand. I was amazed to read of so many people laid off in my native UK because of the pandemic saying they only had a month or two of savings to get by on.

What i have notice , if watch big shop chain's. When you look where they increase most is product's what not cost much. Those prices they can raise 50% and many dont notice anything. And also many thing raise more because government tax. VAT etc. taxes raise prices also. So government's all over world should decrease some taxe's , they still get same money because increase pirices give them more income.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Consumers in Thailand will be feeling the pinch of rising prices of a wide range of products, from instant coffee, cooking oil and instant noodles to condensed milk, shampoo and soap among others, as a result of the fallout from oil price increases.

Many of the price rises have nothing at all to do with the rise in Oil prices since the Invasion of Ukraine by Russia.

Most of the increases are down to the actual rise in the Raw Commodity prices as a consequence of the War.

Cooking Oil is rising massively due to the fact that Ukraine supplies about 70 % of the Worlds Sunflower Oil, and because of the War this supply has stopped completely.

Buyers are therefore looking at alternative sources for their Cooking Oil Supplies, and palm Oil was the obvious choice.

However, Indonesia has stopped all Exports of Palm Oil, and they produce a whopping 80 % of the Worlds supply

Palm Oil is used not just for Cooking, but in a wide range of products from Icecream, Soap, Shampoo, and Condensed Milk Etc Etc 

Many Agri products are also going to be affected by the soaring cost of Fertilsers, which is something the entire World relies upon for sustainable food supplies.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cake Monster said:

Many of the price rises have nothing at all to do with the rise in Oil prices since the Invasion of Ukraine by Russia.

Most of the increases are down to the actual rise in the Raw Commodity prices as a consequence of the War.

Cooking Oil is rising massively due to the fact that Ukraine supplies about 70 % of the Worlds Sunflower Oil, and because of the War this supply has stopped completely.

Buyers are therefore looking at alternative sources for their Cooking Oil Supplies, and palm Oil was the obvious choice.

However, Indonesia has stopped all Exports of Palm Oil, and they produce a whopping 80 % of the Worlds supply

Palm Oil is used not just for Cooking, but in a wide range of products from Icecream, Soap, Shampoo, and Condensed Milk Etc Etc 

Many Agri products are also going to be affected by the soaring cost of Fertilsers, which is something the entire World relies upon for sustainable food supplies.

I am paying 60% more for fertilizer and almost double for herbicides. 

The price of eggs hasn't increased the last half year, but the size has. We are getting size 3 instead of 0 or 1 for the same price. Also Nescafe Red has gone from 200 grams a bag (2 years ago) to 180 and now 160 grams. But the price stays the same. There is no inflation! 

11 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

There aren't many earning 10,000 a month these days. There's a fast-growing middle class. Single mothers are struggling anywhere, and the growing number of single parents problem isn't being addressed at source, anywhere that I can see. It's certainly a huge problem in my native UK, with almost all those shown visiting food banks are in that position. I have no idea why, now, so many couples split up. There seems to be so little compromise, gave and take, which any marriage needs to make it work. That appears to have gone out of fashion, yet it isn't talked about or addressed at all. And, of course, split families lead to all kinds of other problems, such as what was a family needing two houses whereas before only one was needed, which leads to more demand which leads to higher prices.

Average wage LOS Jan 2022 THB 14892.27/month

Lots and lots earn even less than that. 

16 hours ago, Karma80 said:

My company is global manufacturer. Our costs are going through the roof. But when you look at the average "headline" inflation figures around the world Canada 6.7%, USA 8.5%, Australia 5.6%, it's grim and those figures are well below what the average person actually experiencing.

Add in interest rates rising, housing crises, fuel, food shortages and negative real income, as just some primary concerns, there's a lot to be very worried about and we're only just getting started.

Thailands economic policy is run by the military. How will it navigate the next couple of years? Very badly, I suspect.

Australias figure is 5.1 % and the best figure is Western Australia with only 3.6 %

23 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Not the old 'all Thais are poor' nonsense. Pleeeze. You would be amazed how much money many Thai people have stashed away or invested in land or gold, ordinary people, because unlike us they save instead of spending on foreign holidays and many consumer goods.

Maybe you should move out of Bangkok and smell the roses because the only rich people in my area are the ones invested in drugs and they are not even Thais.

Edited by vandeventer
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, BusyB said:

Average wage LOS Jan 2022 THB 14892.27/month

Lots and lots earn even less than that. 

Luckily our son has a high paying career,he earns 3 times this ,but still complains ,his girlfriend also earns quite a good salery ,but is always broke ,mind you she always has something new to wear