Here in this Forum: There is a Marked Difference in Writing Style, just comparing UK authors to American authors.

My Dearest UK Friends,

I have read so many of your posts that, rightfully so, I can now call you my friends.

Personally, I prefer UK authors' writing style to mine, but then, I am biased, maybe.

Who writes better drivel?

Who writes better meaningful posts?

And, who will go down in history as TV's greatest author, of all time?

In the past, there were competitions to select the Best Author of the Year.

Fortunately, this competition has fallen by the wayside.

I would say that there is no winner.  And duking it out might be like comparing Twain to Dickens.

Apples and oranges.

I have no particular reason why I prefer UK writers, mostly.

Maybe it might be due to the fact that I grew up watching UK films, while young.

I mean films produced in the UK, some made by Rank, though not rank at all.

I am sure you guys recall The Rank Organization (organisation).  RIght?

Call me a fool, if you will, but I will always love, as well as feel great nostalgia for, the excellent stuff which came out of the UK, so many years ago, as I was growing up, and passing through puberty.

Yes!

I do love Old English Movies.

I still watch these moves, even today.

Back to the topic....

Guys hailing from the UK are better writers.

This is only my opinion.

And, there is no doubt that my opinion is shared by everyone.

• Like 1

As an illiterate non native I am out of competition :biggrin:

I like a nice mix of UK and US vocabulary for the sake of confusing readers. Motorway, freeway, petrol, benzene, gasoline... fiber, fibre, ...

• Haha 2

Well this is quite the broadside to many of us.

There are many from all over the English speaking world on here that write like 10 year olds.

However I find a good deal of excellent writing and opinion, you just need to sort through the nonsense.

I'll fess up to being an American, and like all nationalities there is a bell curve of both intelligence and ability.

I'll also venture that some are overly harsh on those for whom English is a second, third or fourth language

• Like 1

My current writing style -- largely from years of writing on Twitter for professional reasons --  is succinctly such that the person has already finished reading what I wrote before they realize that they wish that they hadn't read it. 

• Like 2

Strange nationalism, we are all human. how good someone is at writing is not based on the country where he or she comes from but on skill.

I guess some people need to feel proud about the accomplishments of others. That is all nationalism is. Its for people who cant accomplish something themselves.

It would be better to make a poll and ask who is the best writer poster. Instead of this nationalistic <deleted>.

• Like 1

Henry Fielding has provided me more laughs then I will ever find on this forum.

Irony and satire was his forte, thank god.

On the other hand, Flannery O'Connor sounds like she might have been from Ireland.

Yet, she was borne in Savannah, Georgia.

This is the irony of it all.

Please note:

As has already been discussed, previously, and we should all make note of this....

In the Southeastern parts of America, and maybe even in Georgia, there happened to be many great musicians and writers who came from places like Scotland and Ireland.

Everybody knows this.

Some played the banjo, and some wrote books.

William Faulkner, for example. Who knows where he might have hailed from.

Anyway....

Please take a listen here...

2 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

I think it was the famous playwright George Bernard Shaw who once noted that Britain and the US are "two nations separated by a common language".

If Shaw had ever travelled to Singapore, and had he ever listened to the English gibberish there, his quote would have been longer, and harsher.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

If Shaw had ever travelled to Singapore, and had he ever listened to the English gibberish there, his quote would have been longer, and harsher.

Had Singapore been in existence during Shaws lifetime, he may well have done. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, theoldgit said:

Had Singapore been in existence during Shaws lifetime, he may well have done. 

Didn't Shaw live to almost 100? 

I think Stamford Raffles established what we would now call modern day Singapore in 1819, so Singapore was very much in existence in Shaw's lifetime

12 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Didn't Shaw live to almost 100? 

I think Stamford Raffles established what we would now call modern day Singapore in 1819, so Singapore was very much in existence in Shaw's lifetime

Indeed, l should have clarified that I meant an independent Singapore, when they finally cast of the shackles of the UK and Malaya/Malaysia. 

I’ve stayed in “his” hotel, but he’d be turning in his grave if he knew it was now owned by a French Company.

Just now, theoldgit said:

Indeed, l should have clarified that I meant an independent Singapore, when they finally cast of the shackles of the UK and Malaya/Malaysia. 

I’ve stayed in “his” hotel, but he’d be turning in his grave if he knew it was now owned by a French Company.

Ahh I see.

As for the hotel, well it's more a facsimile of the original than the real thing.

But like many things in Singapore, and we lived there for several years, it's bright and shiny and all made of plastic.

I 'think' you are British, and to quote a former British Governor of HK when describing Singapore;

'Disneyland with the Death Penalty'

• Like 2

Always amazed when British authors include certain slang words, not found in any dictionary. (Not understandable by the rest of the world).
Some years ago,  an Oxford-Guy with a stiff upper lip told me the following:  
- An Englishmen can tell from what part of England a person comes from just by listening to his "English" and the vocabulary he/she uses. The vocabulary used would also indicate to what "class" one belongs to. He also diden't forget to mention that the British "class-system" is alive and well.

I was tempted to ask the British contributors here to describe the human sexual intercourse in their various (British) slang varieties. But then no, as the "mod's" would likely interfere. More so, as I suspect that the Mod's here are "Oxfort-Guys" with a stiff upper lip. ????  

15 hours ago, theoldgit said:

@GinBoy2I like Singapore and we visit quite a bit, I will add that I'm glad I had my heart attack there and not the day before we left Thailand for the weekend.

Yeah that was lucky.

Didn't say I don't like SG and we enjoyed our time there, but it's a giant shopping mall, and after a few years the bright shiny thing wears off.

The weather can also grate after a while. The same thing 365 days a year. Hot, downpour in the afternoon, steamy evenings.

....I do hope my American prose passes the UK linguistic standards!

LOL

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Like 1

On 5/2/2022 at 11:16 AM, robblok said:

Strange nationalism, we are all human. how good someone is at writing is not based on the country where he or she comes from but on skill.

I guess some people need to feel proud about the accomplishments of others. That is all nationalism is. Its for people who cant accomplish something themselves.

It would be better to make a poll and ask who is the best writer poster. Instead of this nationalistic <deleted>.

Thats easy me lol

On 5/2/2022 at 5:30 PM, theoldgit said:

I did too, in 1966. I was 12 years old and shacked up with 2 QANTAS hosties as I was travelling alone. The flight crew always stayed in the raffles then.

On 5/3/2022 at 9:40 AM, ozimoron said:

I did too, in 1966. I was 12 years old and shacked up with 2 QANTAS hosties as I was travelling alone. The flight crew always stayed in the raffles then.

Thats an amazing piece of history.

The idea that an Unaccompanied Minor today would be farmed out to stay with crew overnight is unthinkable