Are Expat salaries likely to rise in Thailand?

webfact

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand has a salary range for Expats of 24,500 THB (US$734) to 433,000 THB (US$12984) in a month. Its average monthly salary is 96,900 THB (US$2,904).

"Salary Range" is the key words, as I know some who are above and below these amounts.

There must be less and less sectors that need to hire non-Thais these days compared to the past. 

The sector I worked in is all Thai these days and is doing very well.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Iron Tongue said:

Count me in on one of those Switzerland jobs that'll pay US$246,971 to teach English to the Swiss!

Deal Breaker!.....For that job you need to be fluent in French, German and Italian as well!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

That surprises me.... I still come across a lot of non-Thais in lower and menial work situations and if anything more of them. The people who service my pool, many serving staff at eateries, and construction... once my gardener turned up with a few Cambodian helpers. 

I remember a builder we hired and could not help being surprised that he would sit in his deckchair for most of the day while his Myanmar workers toiled .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

The people who service my pool...

And expat customers complain about the still low prices for pools, maintenance, and repairs by pool companies which for reasons of quality, professionalism, and knowledge of languages, employ expat staff. Such clients seem to want their cake and eat it. 

7 hours ago, Airalee said:

These figures are quite misleading.  The ฿24,500 salaries in Thailand are most likely entry level English teachers.  English teachers in Vietnam don’t make US$8,500.   In fact, the starting salaries are closer to US$1,100

https://vietnamteachingjobs.com/average-salary-esl-teachers-vietnam/

Yeah, some weird figures there.  I'm led to believe that most expats in Vietnam are teachers, and most make nowhere near $8,500.  I would say that the 24,500 Baht is probably not Western expats also, more likely Filipino.

For teaching at least, definitely better pay in Vietnam, but it's more like 35,000 Baht vs. 40,000,000 Dong (USD1,000 vs. USD1,700) for White monkey jobs.  One of the biggest differences in Thailand with teaching is the rate of exploitation, meaning quite a few people take a slice of the foreign teachers wages.  Also there is "no work no pay" in Thailand during school holidays, whereas in Vietnam expats are more likely to be in private language centres.  This keeps the average down in Thailand (along with the quality of education).

• Like 2