"Chillin'! Tourist sitting down at a shrine: Thai press investigate "inappropriate behavior"

webfact

8 hours ago, Whale said:

How can it be disrespectful if they are not aware of the culture? You've been here too long.

Quite right.

Of course one could argue that tourists should learn about the culture of a country that they are visiting.

But just impossible to know everything.

if that is demonstrated to be the case, just not knowing, and that the tourist immediately reacts to adjust to htis new culture, then there is no disrespect.

But then respect also means to consider the feelings of others, to react in a way that does not make a naive person feel bad. This person is then entitled to 'respect'.

Any reaction of individuals to such a candid gesture in a way to makes this person feel bad, is 'disrespectful'.

• Like 2

Was she sitting on the Table that sits next to the shrine and where people place the flowers, fanta and fags in an opened pack?  If so she was in the wrong.  If it was a regular table with a seat which she was sitting on, I fail to see the issue, unless she removed the buddha statue to sit down..

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Foreigners arriving, no common sense and very disrespectful. 

If they did that at my house the wife would hit them with a stick. 

I get the impression that you have no actual understanding of Buddhism and just parrot the nonsense that Thai's claim is 'Buddhist'.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Andre0720 said:

Quite right.

Of course one could argue that tourists should learn about the culture of a country that they are visiting.

But just impossible to know everything.

if that is demonstrated to be the case, just not knowing, and that the tourist immediately reacts to adjust to htis new culture, then there is no disrespect.

But then respect also means to consider the feelings of others, to react in a way that does not make a naive person feel bad. This person is then entitled to 'respect'.

Any reaction of individuals to such a candid gesture in a way to makes this person feel bad, is 'disrespectful'.

So, now anyone wanting to travel overseas must take a course in 'cultural awareness'?. What culture was affected?, It would appear that 'Thai culture' and Buddhism are incompatible from your post. Have you actually studied Buddhism? and I do not mean the travesty that is displayed in Thailand.

• Like 2

Yeah, because Thais would never act inappropriately abroad, would they? Loud-speaker phone calls at airports and in other public places, selfies at religious and historic places. I'm not saying that these actions are wrong, but some others would be offended... such is the world we live in today.

• Like 1

It was very disrespectful. 

Perhaps not as disrespectful as a taxi driver hacking up a tourist's head with a samurai sword over 100 baht.

A granny being killed during a pavement snatch and grab. 

A young woman having her face and head ripped open with a garden hoe.

But very disrespectful all the same. 

17 hours ago, billd766 said:

As would my wife.

It seems as though only the ultras are offended but the ultras of any group will always be offended by something.

Instead of being offended perhaps one or 2 people could have explained to the tourist quietly and politely what the problem was.

It has nothing to do with the press, the MSM or the social media other than as a witch hunt.

"Instead of being offended perhaps one or 2 people could have explained to the tourist quietly and politely what the problem was"...

They did.

Correct Buddhism, face's being hacked off... seriously?

Pretty sure the articles been added for a bit of a giggle, Some need to perhaps take a leaf out of her book and chill.

Edited by beechbum

8 hours ago, Seismic said:

So, now anyone wanting to travel overseas must take a course in 'cultural awareness'?. What culture was affected?, It would appear that 'Thai culture' and Buddhism are incompatible from your post. Have you actually studied Buddhism? and I do not mean the travesty that is displayed in Thailand.

1.- Yes, learning about a country that one intends on visiting should strongly be advised. Countries I visited, I read about it ans its culture before, including Thailand.

2.- "What culture was affected?". I do not know where caused this question to be raised. I actually made a point of showing that the Thai culture was not affected.

3.- "It would appear that 'Thai culture' and Buddhism are incompatible from your post.". Just that I in no way suggested or inferred such a claim.

4.- "Have you actually studied Buddhism?" Actually I have studied Buddhism, and practiced for a while. I found that Siddharta of Herman Hesse was a good course in Buddhism by itself.

5.- "and I do not mean the travesty that is displayed in Thailand". And finally we agree. The first years of my visits here, I was looking forward to see the effect of Buddhism in a people and its culture. What a shock. I saw no Buddhism here...

Then I started studying religions in this world. I ended up believing in the thoughts of Christopher Hitchens. "God is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything ".

But there is typically no reason to disrespect 'people', so no reason to disrespect Thai people, even if one does not agree to its ways and culture. (Sounds very difficult to achieve doesn't it. But Buddhism is a way to enable this achievement.)

12 hours ago, rott said:

A lot of them think the wine and biscuit has literally been changed into the body and blood of the aforesaid gent.

And those who queried it would be burnt at the stake. 

In other words, ritual cannibalism.........

• Like 1

Bare feet up, bossoms out, beer in hand fair enough. Tourist respectfully attired and genuine mistake, wind your neck in. Be appreciative of people coming to your country, esp at this time. If a Thai, well, seen that and mai pen rai isn’t it? Bit of the ole I can have a print of your flag on my shorts, but don’t you dare have a print of mine on yours. Oh no, I’m getting all cynical. 

• Like 1