Shakedown at CW

Guest truthman
4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Does that mean your original Visa or extensions of stay was fake ?

The Immigration officer at Chaeng Wattana spotted that the current visa you were holding was fake and thus extorted you by charging 12,000 baht to extend a fake visa and legitimise it ?

It definitely seems like extortion, but IF your original visa was obtained through illegal channels (i.e. a visa agent using a corrupt Immi officer and ’stamps from the north’ (?)... then you may have got off lightweight (thats one way of looking at it at least).

The extension wasn't fake or illegal. If that had been the case they would have canceled it, charged him an overstay fine, and given him 7 days to leave the country. Rather, they refused to accept the stamp. I heard about that when talking with an agent who uses Chaeng Wattana. She said they won't accept stamps from certain places.

Notice the irony though: The IO  berates him for using an agent, advises him to use the agent again, and then demands a bribe to issue a new stamp. In a way, he got a good deal. If he had used an agent to get a Bangkok stamp, it would have cost him 25,000.

51 minutes ago, userabcd said:

You are lucky the imm officer fixed your problem for you and for a nominal fee.

It could have been a lot more expensive for you if they implemented the law.

But the IO will remember it for years to come.

• Haha 2

I wouldnt say fake ! If that was accurate he would have been arrested. Unusual possibly. But it was valod and issued by the correct dept/persom.

I suggest "dirty" just means it was actually issued outside of province of residence.

Knowing that was a "paid for" variance, he seized on the opportunity to do the same.

Making it "clean" simply meant all the boxes were ticked and in line with residence office.

But of course that is all just speculation as we cannot " know" what the officer concerned was actually stating/meant.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

My TM-30 is Rayong province, used an agent and got extension in Jomtein. This year did it myself in Rayong, no problem. So, the argument about extension must come from your home province isn't accurate.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, proton said:

Most going to agents are poor!

but they're still wealthy in comparison to your average, factory working Thai. the top end of town don't follow the law so why should I or any other farang? it's only wrong here if you get caught.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1