Car seats: Traders and parents worried about new law - top doc says make sure you buy a good one

webfact

Just an additional point: 

‘Rear facing child seats’......   I used to have this discussion in the UK with friends and family who turn their child / baby into a forwards facing car seat at 12 - 18 months.... 

I point out that rear facing is by far safer and do have the child rear facing as long as possible. 

In Sweden the law is that an infant car seat has to be rear facing until the child is 4 years old. 

I tried that and turned my Son to a forward facing seat at about 3.5 years old... he was simply getting ‘too long’ to be in a rear facing seat.

Now in the UK  the law is rear facing until 15 months....  But people in the UK don’t really pay attention to common sense and comments about ‘rear facing’ in a much similar manner to Thai parents not really understanding or paying attention to ‘car seats full stop’...   

This is why laws are necessary... people don’t seem convinced until a law is put in place. 

In the context of contemporary Thailand this law is a huge BS. Look we have whole families riding on motorcycles with none of the kids even wearing any helmets....yes they are wearing masks (yes go figure).  People are poor and there are other simpler less costly ways to reduce road accidents.....for example why do I see all the shiny cop cars parked all day at the station? Send them out on the roadways to police moving violations for goodness' sake. Or how about this brainwave.....why not put some road signs up that clearly show who has right of way....and how about removing old road signs and lane markings that have changed? Look it ain't rocket science, 

any cop handing out a 2K fine for not having a child seat wants firing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ben2talk said:

Since when were Thai's worried about laws?

Since when we’re the Thai authorities worried about children in cars, or traveling on a motor bike with absolute no safety.? It gets worse and worse. 

3 hours ago, starky said:

Good quality car seats here are prohibitively expensive the cheapest I saw were above 15000 baht for a reputable one. All well and good for the smug to suggest everyone should just pop out and get one. 

I would say they are miles out of reach for a lot of people and cheap car seats aren't worth <deleted>.

But they can afford a car but not a safety seat for their child, amazing sense of values.

2 hours ago, NemoH said:

Also all of us will now need to consider buying 7 seaters car because with this law, children will be treated as adult with car seats. So a family of more than 5 can no longer travel in a 5 seater car.. think about it...

Insurance only covers the number of passengers the vehicle is designed to carry.

Think about it...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DUNROAMIN said:

Never happen, no brainer, no seatbelts in the rear of cab space picksups, what do motor bikes do?? Can average Thais afford proper child seats at 2 - 10,000 B per seat. Cost of upgrades to vehicles with out anchor points. etc, etc.

There are no rear seatbelts in 2 door pickups, coz legally there are only 2 seats (driver & passenger), & passengers aren't supposed to be squeezed in the back.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

There are no rear seatbelts in 2 door pickups, coz legally there are only 2 seats (driver & passenger), & passengers aren't supposed to be squeezed in the back.

I think the poster was referring to 'extra-cab' utes , which do have small seats in the back. I had an extra-cab/super cab Ranger in Australia , with rear cushions - and it did have rear seatbelts. Rear seat belts are not fitted to these vehicles sold in Thailand

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

Insurance only covers the number of passengers the vehicle is designed to carry.

Think about it...

Near Kanchanaburi, where I live, I know of many locals who have no insurance. (or registration) .  (or drivers license) .   Won't make much difference.   Think about it...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thunglom said:

As I pointed out in another thread - buying and fitting will be a problem. We will probably go down the same road as crash helmets where a plastic facsimile will suffice. So long as police see something that looks like a baby chair, they won't bother checking. Who is gonna check the chair fittings in the future - the test centres are hardly renown for their diligence and thoroughness.

The car dealership I used to work at in the US used to hold symposiums on child seat safety, and assisted folks with proper installation. One way to boost traffic there. Don't know that it would help here.

But many people wouldn't think twice about upgrading their smartphone for the same price as a potential life-saving seat for their young children!

Are these the same people who don't strap themselves in or their children of older age at the moment? How many have died already unnecessarily?

It isn't the law that is so important, it is the children themselves.

And how will it be policed? Can't see into most cars because of heavily tinted windows.

I can't see that this will be a successful campaign as much as I think it is a good idea if everybody accepts their responsibilities: Parents and Police alike!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DUNROAMIN said:

Never happen, no brainer, no seatbelts in the rear of cab space picksups, what do motor bikes do?? Can average Thais afford proper child seats at 2 - 10,000 B per seat. Cost of upgrades to vehicles with out anchor points. etc, etc.

What do motorbikes motorcysists do ???...   In developed nations they don’t carry infants in their hands, they wear full riding gear, they undergo extensive training, lessons and tests.

You are using ‘motorcyclists' as a comparison in a discussion on infant / child car seats... so, are you implying that because there are motorcyclists children do not need to be protected in cars? or,

because there are pickups without anchor points that those drivers of standard vehicles with anchor points really shouldn’t consider the safety of their children?

Because, If you are implying something so galacbcailly outrageously dumb, idiotic and utterly stupid then you have really outed yourself as a fool. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, koele2 said:

Some rich connected Thai family has got the car seat monopoly here and thought it was time to make some serious money.  Child safety is not their main concern, just a byproduct.  Plus, now cops can stop anyone with kids and get a bribe for no car seat.  All about money.

If road safety was a priority, they would crack down on a lot of other things, like drunk driving, aggressive drivers, speeding, etc.

It will simply add to Thailand being the hub of crackdowns....

The crack down on car seats will no occur seasonally in September, just after the crackdown on seatbelts...

Seriously though, the ‘Thainess’ will turn a good law into an utter farce. Just like the existing helmet and seatbelt laws....   

I recall being stopped in Bangkok about 15 or so years ago. Policeman pulled us over and wanted to charge me 2000 baht for me not wearing a seatbelt. I was wearing mine, so he pointed at the passenger who was also wearing a seatbelt and then attempted to imply that we had just put them on....  I just drove off. 

23 minutes ago, Dont confuse me said:

Fined for not strapping your kid in a car! But have 3 or more 5 Yr olds on a motor bike with no head protection not a problem!

Hopefully the potential debacle will force some ‘face-saving’ from those in positions of decision making power when the obvious is pointed out to them that ‘how can they fine car drivers who don’t have children in car seats’ when motorcyclists are passing by with riders, passengers and children without helmets.... 

... IF this forces Thailand to start enforcing existing safety laws more seriously then this is a step in the right direction. 

Sadly, like everyone else, I’m not holding my breath and all of these announcements and this discussion will be forgotten about until some point next year when someone famous is involved in a car accident in which a child dies and they weren’t in a car-seat. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jonclark said:

If parents cannot afford a car seat to secure what is arguably their most prized possession from harm in the unfortunate event of an accident; then they need to sell their car. 

Good second hand car seats can be picked up for 600 - 800 baht. Far less than any hospital fee for injuries in a car accident. 

Would that also include motorbikes? They ride around 3 or 4 maybe more no helmets holding a baby 

11 hours ago, jonclark said:

If parents cannot afford a car seat to secure what is arguably their most prized possession from harm in the unfortunate event of an accident; then they need to sell their car. 

Good second hand car seats can be picked up for 600 - 800 baht. Far less than any hospital fee for injuries in a car accident. 

Nobody is against protecting children, but this is a regressive tax.  If it's that important, cheap and easy, then the government should provide them for free to every citizen instead of this virtue-signaling new source of bribe revenues for their underpaid police force.  

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, wealthychef said:

Nobody is against protecting children, but this is a regressive tax.  If it's that important, cheap and easy, then the government should provide them for free to every citizen instead of this virtue-signaling new source of bribe revenues for their underpaid police force.  

Some rather distorted logic there... 

Are seatbelt laws, helmet laws also a regressive virtue-signalling taxes ?

Are car-seat laws a regressive virtue-signalling tax in our home countries or only in Thailand ?

1 hour ago, Boyn said:

So what about the families with 3 kids on a motorcycle ,will those kids require safety seats?

Hands up all those who think this new law will be enforced.

Should there be no safety laws because families take 3 kids on their motorcycle ?

Should seatbelt laws be removed because Somchai and Jaa want to take little Bo and Nok to the market on their motorbike ?....  

That said: IF helmet and seatbelt laws can’t be enforced, I can’t see any child seat laws being enforced... its just too much effort for the police to look into a tinted window.

13 hours ago, LennyW said:

3 or 4000 for a car seat to protect your child v 30-40,000 for a new phone so you can take selfies....

I have seen very few, if any average Thais with a 30k baht phone. Stop talking rubbish.

16 hours ago, paulbrow said:

This law is far too long in coming. No matter the cost of the seat, it certainly is less than the value of your child. What's absolutely a shame about it, is it will be the same as all other traffic laws... there will be NO enforcement!

Mean While you can still ride with 5 kids on a motorbike while at the same time drinking a soda and texting on the phone!

Another new pathetic law that don't make any sense at all, Car safety seats for children.

But it's quite okay and legal to drive a motorbike one handed while holding a child in their other arm.

What a joke his place needs to think very carefully before bringing out new laws.

1 minute ago, Hooliganzone said:

Another new pathetic law that don't make any sense at all, Car safety seats for children.

But it's quite okay and legal to drive a motorbike one handed while holding a child in their other arm.

What a joke his place needs to think very carefully before bringing out new laws.

Can't legislate against stupid, but it can put the blame on others. 

• Like 1