Safety at a price: Why compulsory car seat use is controversial in Thailand

webfact

image.jpeg

For decades now, Thai parents have been letting their children ride in cars without a car seat, and sometimes even without a belt. The practice – which also applies to school buses – is so prevalent that people fail to realize the danger involved.

However, from September 5, it will be banned by law. The amended version of the Land Traffic Act, which was published in the Royal Gazette earlier this month, states that children up to the age of six or no taller than 135 centimeters must sit in a car seat while in a moving automobile. Breaking the new rule carries a fine of up to 2,000 baht.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

However, while the amended law’s aim is to protect children, people are already expressing concern over how it will be enforced.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/safety-at-a-price-why-compulsory-car-seat-use-is-controversial-in-thailand/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-05-16

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, starky said:

Car seats or no the children riding in cars or on buses are infinitely safer than the children I see standing, sitting or riding about on motorbikes.

Thats not a judgement call either. When you are poor you do the best with what you have. If I was broke living in Isaan I'm pretty sure I would be riding around with kids on a motorcycle too. 

Total rubbish. People in Isaan as not as poor as you seem to think.

My wife's daughter and partner have a car but still cart their two year old around on a motorbike as they cant be bothered to get the car out.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, starky said:

When you are poor you do the best with what you have. If I was broke living in Isaan I'm pretty sure I would be riding around with kids on a motorcycle too. 

People in Cambodia are poor too, but you would never see something there like in the picture below (taken in Thailand). Everyone would wear a helmet, which, probably, would limit the number of people that could ride on the bike.

Also, I have never seen anything like this in Myanmar, Laos, Vietnam, or anywhere else. But Thais are reckless, thoughtless, or both. Just imagine, they got into an accident. It could very well be fatal for half the riders.

Screenshot_20220306-214221_Facebook.jpg

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Excel said:

Whilst that is a generalisation I suspect ignorance of safety awareness is not restricted to the lower echelons of Western society and having said that even the " 'class of / bottom of the barrel' westerners" as you quoted, would still have an education far higher then almost all Thais, so again that can not be the only reason.

Maybe on paper.   But the practical application of the education, does make one wonder.

Not sure which is to be considered smarter.  Someone ignorant of the safety hazard of all mentioned, or someone well aware of the danger, but still puts themselves at risk.

Ignorance vs stupidity comes to mind.  Let y'all decide which shows more intelligence.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, starky said:

Car seats or no the children riding in cars or on buses are infinitely safer than the children I see standing, sitting or riding about on motorbikes.

Thats not a judgement call either. When you are poor you do the best with what you have. If I was broke living in Isaan I'm pretty sure I would be riding around with kids on a motorcycle too. 

Oh yes, and with a crash helmet safely secured in the front basket....

Safety is considered by people here as an option only...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

However, from September 5, it will be banned by law

I hope this just applies to cars and not pick ups. How can the family move around Isaan if all the kids have to be belted up ? Everyone knows you cram as many as you can in the open back and to guarantee their safety have the right amulets hanging from the rear view mirror.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, drgoon said:

We are in Isaan and can't seem to find a booster seat for our 6yo other than on Lazada etc.

Is a booster seat like an ejector seat for kids ? What a great idea.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

I grew up in the US, no car seats, no seat belts, riding in the back of a pickup was great fun. I'm not saying car seats aren't safer for kids but you have to be realistic here.

It will take time for the Thais to embrace this new law and likely will never happen in the short term. First of all their entire driving mentality needs to change before you can expect car seats to be embraced.

• Like 2

can see it now, child /booster seats just sitting on the seats not belted in, probably will get the occassional chair with the legs removed in there as well, safety in Thailand just doesnt equate with much of the population, it either interferes with them, takes extra work, costs more money or is just inconvenient for them. Doesnt take a genius to see that thais do not like following the law and will ignore them to suit themselves, car seats will go into the same basket as licenses, helmets, red lights, not crossing double lines, indicating to turn, going the wrong way on roads, riding in the backs of trucks etc, using car/booster seats will not happen 

• Like 1

Since when has   road safety ..or any safety for that matter    been important to Thai's ...thats why it will never been enforced, unless the BIB  have a bill to pay 

• Like 2