How Do You Conceal Your Wealth in Thailand

13 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Perhaps  if you have  the martial prowess to prevent that 'scenario' you might  not even need to carry a knife.

Slightly off topic,

I've recently bought an extendable baton.

Fits in my man bag, and already used to drive away a dangerous dog.

For 120bht nobody should be without one.

Edited by BritManToo

3 hours ago, RafPinto said:

Problem here is, too many newcomers want to impress the ladies.

Too late ... already proved how stupid & poor that are.

#1. they're here, sitting in a girly bar as proof of both

#2. in a P4P bar looking for love

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Slightly off topic,

120 bht Truncheon, but how much was the "man bag".....????

13 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Slightly off topic,

I must have a 'F O' aura about me, as they don't seem to care, or after the ugly eye, back off.

Unless walking with the dog, then just point the walking stick at them ... they have no doubt what would come next.   Yet needing to crack one over the head with it.  They are all bark (bored) no bite here.  whimps

Edited by KhunLA

11 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Can't love between an foreigner and a prostitute or service lady happen? As much as it happens on a dating site or the lady from 7/11? 

Desperation have no limits! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Can't love between an foreigner and a prostitute or service lady happen? As much as it happens on a dating site or the lady from 7/11? 

I don't care if they love me.

But I do insist that they serve me.

12 minutes ago, Hummin said:

All things possible ... it's that probability thingy that's a ????

Actually know a few, P4Ps that are going strong, and suspect a few more, though I never ask folks where they met. 

Sadly, far outnumbered by the lot crying in their beers with tales of their woes, and how they got taken for a ride.... oh well.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

. Women, ah, women sense my power, and seek the life essence….I do not avoid women, Mandrake, but I do deny them my essence

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

All things possible ... it's that probability thingy that's a ????

Actually know a few, P4Ps that are going strong, and suspect a few more, though I never ask folks where they met. 

Sadly, far outnumbered by the lot crying in their beers with tales of their woes, and how they got taken for a ride.... oh well.

A saying Comes to mind, a bar girl  can take the man out of the bar, but the man will always return back

Edited by Hummin

53 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

That's my experience as well. Most wealthy Thais will let you know about their wealth fairly quickly, either by telling you the name of condos/land they own (and how much it cost), the car they drive, some big business they have recently done etc. Often it's not very subtle by European standards.

Yes. As I said I think it is so you can work out their place in the hierarchy.  I think we are past the age where people would not interact unless formally introduced (and thus cleared as being of the same level - as in "I'm sorry, have we been introduced? if you spoke to someone without an introduction) but there is definitely a remainder there.

5 minutes ago, Iamfalang said:

I live in the richest part of Bangkok.   100 billion or you get shunned.  I am probably the wealthiest, but I don't want them to know.  I have to wear my cheapest watch and they make fun of me...

Custom Diamond Set Rolex Datejust 41 Stainless Steel 116300

Well done. In fact to wear a cheap watch is a near sure protection. I do the same and wear a Seiko. And yours does not even have correct numbers ! image.gif.a536ee5c88b4813516ff9c0899546154.gif

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, moogradod said:

. And yours does not even have correct numbers ! image.gif.a536ee5c88b4813516ff9c0899546154.gif

It has the correct numbers for Soi 3 in Bangkok.

Wahid, ithnane, thalatha, 'arba, khamsa.......Your habeebah is sure to be impressed.

I have never had a Thai talk about their wealth, but most who have a good job always tell me about their position.

The well off Thais ladies I know rarely walk around covered in gold at any event, but I have seen Thai women who found their farang with a few quid, plastered in the stuff, which most Thai folk look at as being tacky and on a lady that has never had anything, so shows off..

I went to a funeral at a very poor Thai village, it really was an eye-opener, anyhoooo, another farang turned up wiv his Thai wife, gold rings on near all fingers and gold necklaces, it was embarrassing, and for me a bit off for the obviously poor folk in attendance who I guess  had their thoughts about her previous employment ....????

4 minutes ago, transam said:

I have never had a Thai talk about their wealth, but most who have a good job always tell me about their position.

Except for military & PoPo, I just realized I don't know any Thais that have a 'job', meaning they are all fairly well off, and none talk about the wealth.

15 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

It has the correct numbers for Soi 3 in Bangkok.

Wahid, ithnane, thalatha, 'arba, khamsa.......Your habeebah is sure to be impressed.

If there is one thing I do not eat then it is lamb.

But I know someone filthy rich which does not appear as such (at all !). Maybe some of you have been eaten in one of the (illegal ?) seafood restaurants in Hua Hin in the vicinity of the Hilton which are build into the sea.

One of the owners was an old lady that might have easily be mistaken for a retired cleaner if you judge by her outfit alone. She used to be the owner of the biggest shopping centers at the time (I mean the whole center, not a shop) in town.

Year ago I was often in a taxi. And it happened relative often that when I talked to the driver they asked me how much I earn. I though I don't want to upset them so I often mentioned something like 40k per months.

For most of the drivers that was a huge salary. How could anybody possibly spent all that money in one month?

I think we must just accept that for some people anything more than minimum salary is a lot of money.

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Year ago I was often in a taxi. And it happened relative often that when I talked to the driver they asked me how much I earn. I though I don't want to upset them so I often mentioned something like 40k per months.

For most of the drivers that was a huge salary. How could anybody possibly spent all that money in one month?

I think we must just accept that for some people anything more than minimum salary is a lot of money.

A cousin (male teacher) used to work factory after COVID started, making 30k a month + bonuses. As a teacher 25k, and now working farm in Korea on a 5 year contract making 60k a month. One meal a day and housing included.

• Like 2

Another story: Years ago I was almost every day in the same coffee shop for breakfast. Just having a croissant and an espresso. Nothing fancy and not a lot.

Sometime later when I talked to the service people in there they told me that I am obviously rich. I was surprised by that idea and I asked them why they think so. The answer: Almost every day I pay with a 1000B note or worst case with a 500B note. That was obviously proof that I must be rich. qed

13 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Another story: Years ago I was almost every day in the same coffee shop for breakfast. Just having a croissant and an espresso. Nothing fancy and not a lot.

Sometime later when I talked to the service people in there they told me that I am obviously rich. I was surprised by that idea and I asked them why they think so. The answer: Almost every day I pay with a 1000B note or worst case with a 500B note. That was obviously proof that I must be rich. qed

Local 7-11 staff must think I'm the cat's meow ... ????

Nah, looking way jon mak mak ... ????

Edited by KhunLA

1 hour ago, transam said:

The well off Thais ladies I know rarely walk around covered in gold at any event, but I have seen Thai women who found their farang with a few quid, plastered in the stuff, which most Thai folk look at as being tacky and on a lady that has never had anything, so shows off..

I went to a funeral at a very poor Thai village, it really was an eye-opener, anyhoooo, another farang turned up wiv his Thai wife, gold rings on near all fingers and gold necklaces, it was embarrassing, and for me a bit off for the obviously poor folk in attendance who I guess  had their thoughts about her previous employment ....????

No. YOU Were thinking about her previous  employment and thinking about what other people  were thinking - yu tink  tu mut-

7 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Some do, some don't. Know very wealthy Thai people who walk around in shorts and drive an old motorcycle, others drive in 30 million thb cars.

My old muslim neighbour sold his beach side land in Phuket to resort chain for 32 million US.  He rides a old 2 stroke yamaha belle and his wife is a toothless hag.

His house has cement floors and fibro tile roof.

His daughter lent money off him to partner with some arab mussy to buy a 6 million dollar white boat and had just started doing trips Phuket > Bali before covide hit.  She lost it all.

His son lent money also (not sure of the amount) and had a fleet of 30 taxis and limos servicing the airport.  Last time I saw him about 6 months ago he was working as a weed trimmer in palm plantations.  He might be back in the taxis now that things have opened up a bit.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Many of us still want a security blanket in case we don't die immediately death comes knocking. I doubt anyone wants to die penniless.

I have a friend in Australia who says he wants to spend his last dollar the day he dies. Good luck with planning that.

My assets are willed to my Thai GF and son, if it helps them enjoy the rest of their lives after I am gone, so much the better.

My assets are willed to my Thai GF and son, if it helps them enjoy the rest of their lives after I am gone, so much the better.

As are mine.

12 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Those that actially have money rarely need to show it.

Those that want to give the impression they have it rarely do.

Wealth is not measured in what you have or display.  It is what you can keep when the income stops flowing.