E-Sim cards to enable you to get text messages from the USA??

I need advice from those of you who use e-sim cards in their smartphones to receive text messages from the USA while here in Thailand.

I have been going crazy lately with my banks and credit card companies, as well as Amazon and eBay with their plethora of identity verifications they are now doing exclusively through text messaging.  Since my US cell number does not work in Thailand, and most banks and credit card companies will not send txt messages to foreign phone numbers, it's becoming a really frustrating and annoying issue.

I spoke with Apple and they said all I needed to do was use an iPhone 10 or more recent, and set up an e-sim account with my US carrier (in my case ATT), and I was told this would solve my problem.

I want to hear from people who are using these cards for that purpose.  Does it work reliably for ID verification?  And most importantly, how expensive is it on a monthly basis if all you are using it for is getting these ID verification codes?

I don’t know the cost of having and e sim, but I have an AIS and a UAE sim both active on 2 separate iphones (one is for work), I switch the data (cellular) depending on my location, but I still can receive calls and SMS wherever I am at any time.

Longer term and for ease of use instead of charging and carrying 2 iphones, I'm actually going to buy the Hong Kong variant of the iphone and then insert 2 physical Sim cards instead of this eSim

I've read the eSim is tricky to activate and keep online, so the Hong Kong is simpler for me, but pleae give some feedback if you get this eSim up and running, Please note you will need a signal from your US phone in Thailand as a minimum requirement. 

This was taken from Apple website regarding ESIM

Find wireless carriers that offer eSIM service

Your iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, or iPhone XR, or later, can have two cellular plans, one on a nano-SIM card and the other on an eSIM. Find out which wireless carriers in your country or region offer cellular plans on an eSIM, either activated by QR code, in a carrier app, or by installing an assigned cellular plan. If your iPhone is unlocked, you can also use eSIM plans offered by other carriers.

United States

• AT&T
  • T-Mobile USA
  • Truphone
  • Ubigi
  • Verizon Wireless
  • Visible

iphone-dual-sim-illustration-line-drawing.png

Edited by bolt
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, bolt said:

I don’t know the cost of having and e sim, but I have an AIS and a UAE sim both active on 2 separate iphones (one is for work), I switch the data (cellular) depending on my location, but I still can receive calls and SMS wherever I am at any time.

Longer term and for ease of use instead of charging and carrying 2 iphones, I'm actually going to buy the Hong Kong variant of the iphone and then insert 2 physical Sim cards instead of this eSim

I've read the eSim is tricky to activate and keep online, so the Hong Kong is simpler for me, but pleae give some feedback if you get this eSim up and running, Please note you will need a signal from your US phone in Thailand as a minimum requirement. 

This was taken from Apple website regarding ESIM

Find wireless carriers that offer eSIM service

Your iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, or iPhone XR, or later, can have two cellular plans, one on a nano-SIM card and the other on an eSIM. Find out which wireless carriers in your country or region offer cellular plans on an eSIM, either activated by QR code, in a carrier app, or by installing an assigned cellular plan. If your iPhone is unlocked, you can also use eSIM plans offered by other carriers.

United States

• AT&T
  • T-Mobile USA
  • Truphone
  • Ubigi
  • Verizon Wireless
  • Visible

Are you saying that with the Hong Kong 2-physical sim cards, you could have AIS (I also use AIS) and one from a US carrier in the phone and have BOTH working simultaneously?  In other words, I could receive SMS Text messages from the USA and still have full functionality of my AIS card?

4 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Are you saying that with the Hong Kong 2-physical sim cards, you could have AIS (I also use AIS) and one from a US carrier in the phone and have BOTH working simultaneously?  In other words, I could receive SMS Text messages from the USA and still have full functionality of my AIS card?

my understanding is YES 2 Physical SIM cards active same time, only 1 DATA Cellular connection for example AIS if you are in Thailand, and then simply switch to your OTHER SIM Data once you are in your other country.

but you are able to receive Calls ands SMS Messages from both at same time, (subject to costs) 

here are some examples from Apple website.

Using Dual SIM with two nano-SIM cards - Apple Support (AE)

How will Dual-SIM feature work on the new iPhone Xs, iPhone Xs Max and  iPhone Xr with eSIM

from Apple website mentioning Dual NANO SIM ( from Hong Kong) 

Using Dual SIM with two nano-SIM cards

In China mainland, Hong Kong, and Macao, certain iPhone models feature Dual SIM with two nano-SIM cards. This gives you two phone numbers to make and receive calls and text messages.

If you have an iPhone 13 mini, iPhone 12 mini, iPhone SE (2nd and 3rd generation), or an iPhone XS in Hong Kong or Macao, learn how to use Dual SIM with an eSIM.

Here are a few of the many ways you can use Dual SIM:

Use one number for business and another number for personal calls.

Add a local data plan when you travel outside of the country or region.

Have separate voice and data plans.

Both of your phone numbers can make and receive voice and FaceTime calls and send and receive messages using iMessage SMS and MMS.* Your iPhone can use one cellular data network at a time.

* This uses Dual SIM Dual Standby (DSDS) technology, which means that both SIMs can make and receive calls.

What you need

To use Dual SIM, you need iOS 12.1 or later, two nano-SIM cards, and one of these iPhone models:

iPhone 13

iPhone 13 Pro

iPhone 13 Pro Max

iPhone 12

iPhone 12 Pro

iPhone 12 Pro Max

iPhone 11

iPhone 11 Pro

iPhone 11 Pro Max

iPhone XS Max

iPhone XR

How to install the nano-SIM cards

Insert a paper clip or SIM eject tool into the small hole of the SIM card tray, then push in toward iPhone to remove your SIM tray, notice the notch in one corner of the new SIM card. Place the new SIM card into the bottom of the tray—it will fit only one way, because of the notch. Then insert the other SIM card into the top tray.

With the two nano-SIM cards in place, insert the SIM tray back into the device completely and in the same orientation that you removed it. The tray fits only one way.

How about a simpler alternative? I'm from U.K. and have the same issues. Many U.K. outfits insist upon sending OTP's to a U.K. mobile number only. For under $16 USD per annum you can rent a virtual mobile telephone number from 'VYKE'. Mine works very reliably for both voice and SMS. 

• Like 2

EUREKA!  Isn't that the word yo use when you are blown away by something you just learned?

Well I just found an answer to my dilemma of being able to get SMS Text message verification codes from my bank and credit card accounts in the US while in Thailand that is dirt cheap and works perfect!  Want to know what it is?

It is SKYPE!!!  You actually need to buy a US phone number from Skype for it work.  Using the free version of Skype will not work.  I say "US phone number" but I imagine Skype offers this in other countries as well)

It only costs about $4 per month to get your own unique US phpne number (as an add on to unlimited Skype account which costs $3 per month), and the US phone number they give you has a normal US area code you can pick from anywhere in the country.  I picked Nantucket on Cape Cod (Area code 508) just because it sounded cool LOL.

WIth that number, I can receive calls including SMS from anywhere in the US right to my iPhone here in Thailand and the phone rings just like a regular incoming call.  If it is a text message, it pops open on the Skype app instantly.

The unlimited plan is great!  I can place calls to the US and many other countries for free, and incoming calls from people calling my US Skype number may think they are talking to me in Massachusetts USA even though I am in Thailand, and the voice quality is so good they don't even know I am half a world away!

What an easy and economical solution compared to spending money for another iPhone that uses e-sim cards, not to mention that the cost of using the e-sim mode from ATT is $10 per day!  That's $300 per month just to get SMS texts ????

If you need to receive SMS from the States (or I'm guessing anywhere in the world), and/or want a cheap and effective way to stay in touch with people in other countries, Skype is about the cheapest and best way to do it IMO.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

EUREKA!  Isn't that the word yo use when you are blown away by something you just learned?

Well I just found an answer to my dilemma of being able to get SMS Text message verification codes from my bank and credit card accounts in the US while in Thailand that is dirt cheap and works perfect!  Want to know what it is?

It is SKYPE!!!  You actually need to buy a US phone number from Skype for it work.  Using the free version of Skype will not work.  I say "US phone number" but I imagine Skype offers this in other countries as well)

It only costs about $4 per month (as an add on to unlimited Skype account which costs $3 per month), and the US phone number they give you has a regular area code you can pick from anywhere in the country.  I picked Nantucket on Cape Cod (Area code 508) just because it sounded cool LOL.

WIth that number, I can receive calls including SMS from anywhere in the US right to my iPhone here in Thailand and the phone rings just like a regular incoming call.  If it is a text message, it pops open on the Skype app instantly.

The unlimited plan is great!  I can place calls to the US and many other countries for free, and incoming calls from people calling my US Skype number may think they are talking to me in Massachusetts USA even though I am in Thailand and the voice quality is so good they don't even know I am half a world away!

What an easy and economical solution compared to spending money for another iPhone that uses e-sim cards, not to mention that the cost of using the e-sim mode from ATT is $10 per day!  That's $300 per month just to get SMS texts ????

If you need to receive SMS from the States (or I'm guessing anywhere in the world), and/or want a cheap and effective way to stay in touch with people in other countries, Skype is about the cheapest and best way to do it IMO.

Only works for U.S. numbers when sent from U.S. or Canadian mobiles apparently. As I posted above, VYKE is only $16 USD per annum and offers mobile numbers (not landlines) for a few other Countries too. https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA34884/how-do-i-receive-sms-text-messages-in-skype

Edited by The Fugitive

1 hour ago, The Fugitive said:

Only works for U.S. numbers when sent from U.S. or Canadian mobiles apparently. As I posted above, VYKE is only $16 USD per annum and offers mobile numbers (not landlines) for a few other Countries too. https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA34884/how-do-i-receive-sms-text-messages-in-skype

That's a shame it only works for USA numbers but for my needs, it has proven a pretty perfect solution since my main concern is not having to hassle with all of these new ID verification SMS texts that i get bombarded with from banks, credit card companies, Ebay, and Amazon, all of which I must deal with on a daily basis.

What's worse is that, while it used to be only an occasional annoyance, now it is happening every single day.  In the case of Ebay it happens multiple times throughout the same day!  If I can't receive an SMS, I end up having to call overseas to Ebay to speak with their Fraud department to assure them it is me STILL logged in to my account.  It is INSANE how they have taken thier so-called security measures to an extreme.

It really kills me because one of the most security conscious websites and platforms in the world is Apple, and they have a ID verification that is all done right through the computer and only takes about 3-5 seconds where a pop up shows your location on a map, and then asks you to confirm that is indeed your location and when you say it is, it reveal a 6 digit code you type into a code box and you are verified, all in about 3-5 seconds, and without any need for SMS.

And Apple is not the only one who cares enough about customer service to provide a better solution.  Schwab Bank uses an app made by Symantec, and all you do when they challenge you to verify your ID is open the app that shows you a code that gets updated every 15 seconds and you just type it in.  They also have a voice recognition system, in case that doesn't work so when you call in, they don;t ask you for codes or anything.  Their server recognizes your own unique voice when you say hello...and that's it...you are verified.

Anyway, I'm just babbling away, but I just hate it when companies come up with these high-tech security measures that are just a pain in the butt, when tere are so much better solutions out there.

1 hour ago, The Fugitive said:

Thanks for your earlier post; it is what gave me the idea to check out my SKype which I have had for a few months but never tried to use for SMS since the Rep at Skype said it wouldn't work for SMS.  He was wrong!  I never would have tried it today if it wasn't for your first post giving me the idea to try.

• Thanks 1

Get a Google Voice number. After setting it up, enable "forward messages to email" and voila! all your SMS's are emailed to you. This is a major major plus because you don't have to constantly worry about the local network's reliability. You get the SMS's even if you are on WiFi only. Soooooo convenient.

IMG_0390.jpg

On 6/1/2022 at 8:11 PM, WaveHunter said:

Thanks for your earlier post; it is what gave me the idea to check out my SKype which I have had for a few months but never tried to use for SMS since the Rep at Skype said it wouldn't work for SMS.  He was wrong!  I never would have tried it today if it wasn't for your first post giving me the idea to try.

Well, the Skype rep was right and wrong...it will depend on whether the SMS sender accepts/rejects use of a VOIP number for receiving a two factor logon code and/or what sending system the sender uses.   And it's not uncommon for some financial related companies/banks to accept a VOIP number in your online profile to receive general info SMSs/receive voice calls, etc., but they will not accept/use the VOIP number to send a two factor code.  All depends on the company/bank.  

Skype is a "VOIP service" and "depending on whether the sender (i.e., bank, company, etc) who is sending the Two Factor code/One Time Passcode SMS as a "short code" SMS or regular SMS can determine whether you receive the SMS.   If it's being sent as a true "short code" Skype, Google Voice, Magic Jack, TextNow, etc.,  just to name a few VOIP phone number services the chances are good you will "not" receive the code.....OR, the VOIP number will be rejected upfront in attempting to use it for two factor/online profile purposes.  

A short code SMS can be formatted in different ways but they are sent from a bank's/company's short code number usually consisting of a 5 or 6 digits phone number instead of a full blown phone number.  I'm not talking about the two factor code they are sending you which is usually only 6 to 8 digits long....I'm talking about the phone number that code is sent from. 

Short code numbers have different underlying specs/format compared to a full phone number.   Plus, if they desire the entities sending you a Two-factor code can determine before sending whether a number is a real mobile number, a landline number, or VOIP number and simply refuse to use the number/not send the code.....give you a pop-up message something went wrong, the number is no good, it's a VOIP number, etc.

I have many U.S. online accounts and I would say around one-third of the accts will "not" accept a VOIP number/send a two factor logon code to a VOIP number....and that number has been slowly increasing over the last five or so years.   Five years ago they "all" worked fine with one of my VOIP numbers like my Google Voice number but now only around  two-thirds accept VOIP numbers for two factor codes.   And I have my Google Voice number setup to also email me a copy of each SMS, but when a true short code system is being used I neither receive the code on my phone or via email because it's get blocked somewhere along way or is not actually send since Google Voice is a VOIP number.

And just the past week one more U.S. govt agency where I have a financial related account switched to using a new contractor to provide account logon/management and in that contractor switch a person had to setup a new online acct which primarily involved some identity verification which used your mobile number for identity verification.    Although my Google Voice number worked fine with the old contractor to setup my online acct years ago, the new U.S. govt contractor would not accept VOIP numbers (and said so upfront during the acct creation process) for identify verification purposes....and as it turned out even my "prepaid" U.S. mobile numbers would not work either in the identity verification process. 

However, I still tried to use my Google Voice number to create/transfer the acct and was "immediately" greeted with rejection....that is, the contractor immediately said it as a VOIP number....didn't even get the chance of them sending a two factor code.   And as mentioned, my U.S. "prepaid" mobile numbers would not work either because issue of a prepaid number/SIM requires little to no identity verification....just a credit/debit card to pay the monthly bill.  However, a "postpaid" mobile number or landline number does carry a good degree of identity verification.  Fortunately, this U.S. govt contractor also allowed identity verification via sending them a copy of your ID (such as a U.S. state drivers license, U.S. passport, etc) or verification via public data security question & answer (i.e., credit reporting agency data).   I ended up going the Q&A method to get verified.  AND THEN when completing my new acct profile setup my Google Voice number "would" work to receive two factor codes---but my Google Voice number and prepaid mobile number were a no-go for identity verification purposes.

Yeap, even disregarding the identify verification stuff I said above, whether a VOIP number like Skype, Google Voice, etc., will work to receive two-factor codes will depend on the sending entity and if that sending entity uses a true "short code" system or not....OR, whether that sending entity prescreens a number before sending/before allowing it in your online profile to determine if it's an acceptable type number to them based on their security policies....and VOIP numbers are slowly becoming not acceptable at some/more banks/companies/etc., who are tightening up their various online security policies.   But fortunately, many banks/companies still accept VOIP numbers no problem.....it all depends on how the sender has their sending system setup/their security policies.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1
  • Love It 1

On 6/1/2022 at 8:33 PM, mvdf said:

Below is an example of an SMS automatically forwarded to my email. 

IMG_0391.jpg

Even though the title indicates the sending is using a short code number (i.e, 41522) system to send from they are not implementing some security policies like barring VOIP numbers.   It all depends on the sender as to how they structure (seen and underlying format) the two factor SMS and/or if their security policies allow VOIP numbers.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2022 at 9:32 PM, Pib said:

Well, the Skype rep was right and wrong...it will depend on whether the SMS sender accepts/rejects use of a VOIP number for receiving a two factor logon code and/or what sending system the sender uses.   And it's not uncommon for some financial related companies/banks to accept a VOIP number in your online profile to receive general info SMSs/receive voice calls, etc., but they will not accept/use the VOIP number to send a two factor code.  All depends on the company/bank.  

Skype is a "VOIP service" and "depending on whether the sender (i.e., bank, company, etc) who is sending the Two Factor code/One Time Passcode SMS as a "short code" SMS or regular SMS can determine whether you receive the SMS.   If it's being sent as a true "short code" Skype, Google Voice, Magic Jack, TextNow, etc.,  just to name a few VOIP phone number services the chances are good you will "not" receive the code.....OR, the VOIP number will be rejected upfront in attempting to use it for two factor/online profile purposes.  

A short code SMS can be formatted in different ways but they are sent from a bank's/company's short code number usually consisting of a 5 or 6 digits phone number instead of a full blown phone number.  I'm not talking about the two factor code they are sending you which is usually only 6 to 8 digits long....I'm talking about the phone number that code is sent from. 

Short code numbers have different underlying specs/format compared to a full phone number.   Plus, if they desire the entities sending you a Two-factor code can determine before sending whether a number is a real mobile number, a landline number, or VOIP number and simply refuse to use the number/not send the code.....give you a pop-up message something went wrong, the number is no good, it's a VOIP number, etc.

I have many U.S. online accounts and I would say around one-third of the accts will "not" accept a VOIP number/send a two factor logon code to a VOIP number....and that number has been slowly increasing over the last five or so years.   Five years ago they "all" worked fine with one of my VOIP numbers like my Google Voice number but now only around  two-thirds accept VOIP numbers for two factor codes.   And I have my Google Voice number setup to also email me a copy of each SMS, but when a true short code system is being used I neither receive the code on my phone or via email because it's get blocked somewhere along way or is not actually send since Google Voice is a VOIP number.

And just the past week one more U.S. govt agency where I have a financial related account switched to using a new contractor to provide account logon/management and in that contractor switch a person had to setup a new online acct which primarily involved some identity verification which used your mobile number for identity verification.    Although my Google Voice number worked fine with the old contractor to setup my online acct years ago, the new U.S. govt contractor would not accept VOIP numbers (and said so upfront during the acct creation process) for identify verification purposes....and as it turned out even my "prepaid" U.S. mobile numbers would not work either in the identity verification process. 

However, I still tried to use my Google Voice number to create/transfer the acct and was "immediately" greeted with rejection....that is, the contractor immediately said it as a VOIP number....didn't even get the chance of them sending a two factor code.   And as mentioned, my U.S. "prepaid" mobile numbers would not work either because issue of a prepaid number/SIM requires little to no identity verification....just a credit/debit card to pay the monthly bill.  However, a "postpaid" mobile number or landline number does carry a good degree of identity verification.  Fortunately, this U.S. govt contractor also allowed identity verification via sending them a copy of your ID (such as a U.S. state drivers license, U.S. passport, etc) or verification via public data security question & answer (i.e., credit reporting agency data).   I ended up going the Q&A method to get verified.  AND THEN when completing my new acct profile setup my Google Voice number "would" work to receive two factor codes---but my Google Voice number and prepaid mobile number were a no-go for identity verification purposes.

Yeap, even disregarding the identify verification stuff I said above, whether a VOIP number like Skype, Google Voice, etc., will work to receive two-factor codes will depend on the sending entity and if that sending entity uses a true "short code" system or not....OR, whether that sending entity prescreens a number before sending/before allowing it in your online profile to determine if it's an acceptable type number to them based on their security policies....and VOIP numbers are slowly becoming not acceptable at some/more banks/companies/etc., who are tightening up their various online security policies.   But fortunately, many banks/companies still accept VOIP numbers no problem.....it all depends on how the sender has their sending system setup/their security policies.

I am sure you are probably right.  All I know for certain is that I have changed all of my contact number to my Skype number with my banks and credit cards companies, as well as with Amazon and eBay, and so far they have all successfully sent verification codes to me and my fingers are crossed they will continue to do so.

Honestly, all of this focus on SMS ID verification is becoming one big pain in the *ss!  One of my banks started using a completely different approach in which you download an app on your phone called VIP Access (made by Symantec).   The bank sets up your account to sync to the encrypted Symantec cloud server, and then every time you try to log into your online account, it simply asks you for a 6-digit verification code.  You open the VIP Access app, and it has a code that renews itself every 30 seconds.  You type in the code shown on the screen, and you are logged in!  PERFECT!!!

I hope that more banks, credit card companies, etc start adopting a more efficient way of doing verification because if you are outside of the US, it's just one big pain in the butt the way it currently is handled, and it seems that the bigger the company is, the worse they handle it.  Ebay, for example, now asks me to create a NEW password for my account. every single time i log in LOL!!!!  I now have a list of over 50 former passwords I have had to create for the damn account...JUST RIDICULOUS!

It just kills me when they try to say that they are only trying to protect my account with all these ridiculous measures.  What they really mean is they are trying to protect their own liability if somebody breaks into my account, and they don't care how convoluted or screwed up those safeguards are for the user.

It all depends on the online acct you are dealing with as to if a VOIP number like Google Voice, Skype, etc., will work, especially if it's a financial related acct like a bank/payment acct. The more online accts a person has the more likelihood the person will start running into accts that don't accept VOIP number for 2-Factor Authorization (2FA) codes and/or maybe not even accept it in your profile even for use as a voice number.

As I said earlier slowly over the last five years or so more of my financial/payments/U.S. govt online accts no longer work to receive a 2FA code to one of my  VOIP numbers like Google Voice.   Now five years ago I could say "all" accts worked with a VOIP number....but today I can only say around two-thirds work.  If I was to cancel the one-third of the accts (which would cause a LOT of grief for me and something I just couldn't do) that will not work with a VOIP number I could once again say "all" my accts work with VOIP numbers.  With thousands of companies/online acct possibilities, most everyone will have a different set of results as to if their VOIP number works for 2FA codes for online acct XYZ.   Just like you me....all of your accts work with your VOIP number....for me, around one-third will not work with a VOIP number..

Many financial related accts also offer 2FA via Authenticator apps such as Google, Microsoft, Authy Authenticators which once married to your online acct they kept keep in-sync and you can just get your 2FA code which changes every 30 seconds or so from that Authenticator app.  Many online accts offer Authenticator app....usually generic Authenticators  like the three mentioned above (but there are many more) but some online accts only offer their own in-house Authenticator and some banks actually build their own Authenticator right into their mobile banking app.  

But logon via Authenticators come with potential downsides/headaches also like if you change phone or phone numbers, mistakenly delete the authenticator with no data backup,  lose you phone, etc., depending on how your online acct(s) implemented Authenticator use you might have a hard time in regaining access to your accts.  Like some accts allow you to implement "multiple" ways to get 2FA codes....use Authenticator, mobile number SMS, email, etc.,  for example, but with some accts once you select Authenticator if may not allow use of other methods like mobile number SMS...you are stuck with Authenticator use ONLY....and if something happens to your Authenticator app like deleting it or its data by mistake, loosing your phone, etc., then some online accts make it a real pain to turn off the Authenticator setting in your online profile so you can use mobile number 2FA again and once again start setting up/switching back to using an Authenticator.  Just taking a review of Authenticator like on Google Play there are many, many, many reviews talking problems with Authenticator use...the problems caused when their Authenticator app stopped working for various reasons.....but a lot of these problems are caused (easily) by honest mistakes a person made (self inflicted)....not fully understanding Authenticator use especially when it comes to Authenticator backup.

Cheers.

On 6/7/2022 at 9:51 PM, Pib said:

Even though the title indicates the sending is using a short code number (i.e, 41522) system to send from they are not implementing some security policies like barring VOIP numbers.   It all depends on the sender as to how they structure (seen and underlying format) the two factor SMS and/or if their security policies allow VOIP numbers.

My point with all of this security nonsense is that it is simply unnecessary.  There are much better ways to assure strong identity verification.  A few large companies such as banks and credit card agencies are starting to do it but no nearly enough.

One of the best companies at providing rock-solid security without making their customers have nightmares dealing with it is Chas. Schwab.  They have two very simple modes if ID verfication.  The first and the one I ma most impressed by is simply verifying you by your voice!  When you first sign up with them, their server asks you a series of questions to make a digital id of the sound of your voice and then every time you call their number, it uses that to identify you.  That's about as easy and foolproof as can be!

But in addition to that, if you want to log into your account online, you simply use an app made by Symantec that syncs your account and yor app together so that when you sign i, it asks for a 6 digit verification code from your app that changes every 30 seconds.  The server is encryped and so is the app so it is as secure as can be, and again, you are logged in in a matter of seconds with no hassles at all.

On 6/11/2022 at 1:14 PM, Pib said:

It all depends on the online acct you are dealing with as to if a VOIP number like Google Voice, Skype, etc., will work, especially if it's a financial related acct like a bank/payment acct. The more online accts a person has the more likelihood the person will start running into accts that don't accept VOIP number for 2-Factor Authorization (2FA) codes and/or maybe not even accept it in your profile even for use as a voice number.

As I said earlier slowly over the last five years or so more of my financial/payments/U.S. govt online accts no longer work to receive a 2FA code to one of my  VOIP numbers like Google Voice.   Now five years ago I could say "all" accts worked with a VOIP number....but today I can only say around two-thirds work.  If I was to cancel the one-third of the accts (which would cause a LOT of grief for me and something I just couldn't do) that will not work with a VOIP number I could once again say "all" my accts work with VOIP numbers.  With thousands of companies/online acct possibilities, most everyone will have a different set of results as to if their VOIP number works for 2FA codes for online acct XYZ.   Just like you me....all of your accts work with your VOIP number....for me, around one-third will not work with a VOIP number..

Many financial related accts also offer 2FA via Authenticator apps such as Google, Microsoft, Authy Authenticators which once married to your online acct they kept keep in-sync and you can just get your 2FA code which changes every 30 seconds or so from that Authenticator app.  Many online accts offer Authenticator app....usually generic Authenticators  like the three mentioned above (but there are many more) but some online accts only offer their own in-house Authenticator and some banks actually build their own Authenticator right into their mobile banking app.  

But logon via Authenticators come with potential downsides/headaches also like if you change phone or phone numbers, mistakenly delete the authenticator with no data backup,  lose you phone, etc., depending on how your online acct(s) implemented Authenticator use you might have a hard time in regaining access to your accts.  Like some accts allow you to implement "multiple" ways to get 2FA codes....use Authenticator, mobile number SMS, email, etc.,  for example, but with some accts once you select Authenticator if may not allow use of other methods like mobile number SMS...you are stuck with Authenticator use ONLY....and if something happens to your Authenticator app like deleting it or its data by mistake, loosing your phone, etc., then some online accts make it a real pain to turn off the Authenticator setting in your online profile so you can use mobile number 2FA again and once again start setting up/switching back to using an Authenticator.  Just taking a review of Authenticator like on Google Play there are many, many, many reviews talking problems with Authenticator use...the problems caused when their Authenticator app stopped working for various reasons.....but a lot of these problems are caused (easily) by honest mistakes a person made (self inflicted)....not fully understanding Authenticator use especially when it comes to Authenticator backup.

Cheers.

You sound like you know what you are talking about with all of this stuff.  True to your words, SKype SMS failed me the other day ????  Strangely, it worked fine one day and I got an SMS for identity verification for one of my online accounts, but then the other day it did not come through....so I guess you were correct about the "short code" stuff.

This all is so damn frustrating!  There MUST be some way to solve this issue!

Living in a foreign country raises so many security red flags these days. with banks, credit card companies, and online venues like Amazon and Ebay that are prime targets for scammers and hackers.  I almost never get these ID verification requests in the US, but over here it is almost an every-day occurrence.

Since the root cause of ALL of this is really my IP address beingn outside fo the US I was thinking of getting a VPN that i could set to the USA for my location but then I found out that using a VPN could make things even far worse since the IP addresses you are assigned are actually shared with other users which will raise even more serious red flags, not to mention that VPN connection often get lost every now and then and then your IP reverts to your native one.  Even if it only happens for a split second, some host servers (like Amazon) will permanently ban your account if they detect that!

So, now I am looking into setting up a "virtual cloud computer" that is supposed to solve that issue, but I suppose that will probably be just another rabbit hole to nowhere!

Yeap.....some online accts which do not accept VOIP number for 2FA may "initially" accept the number because the acct does not have "real time" number evaluation capability....that is, the ability to determine real-time if a number is VOIP/landline or not because a third-party service will probably used for that task. They may not evaluate the number until they do certain once-a-day (usually overnight) system tasks.   So, what ends up happening is the number is initially accepted...a works to receive 2FA code until the next day or so....then stops working/being offered for 2FA but can still be used to receive general info texts. 

It happened like with one of my U.S. bank online accts....after my Google Voice number stopped being offered for 2FA but still worked fine for general info texts from the bank....I tried adding another VOIP number one afternoon...and it was accepted and for the rest of day I logged off and on several times....each and every time the bank offered that VOIP number as a 2FA choice and would send the 2FA code which I received no problem.  But the next morning the joy was over....when going to logon that number was no longer offered to receive a 2FA, but it was still loaded in my online profile and could still be used to receive general info texts, voice calls, etc.....it just it would not be used for 2FA purposes.   Summary: OK-fine for general info texts but would not be used for 2FA codes.  

You really need to get yourself a VPN service like ExpressVPN, NordVPN, Surfshark, or any of the dozens upon dozens VPN service available for a few dollars a month.   You are right that a lot of online accts present extra login challenges/requirements (like requiring a 2FA via SMS) when logging on with an foreign IP address.   For my numerous U.S. online accts I almost always use a VPN connection with a U.S. IP address just to avoid that...plus, I usually I my U.S. mailing address on-file.   I've never had a problem with any accts, even with my Amazon acct which I have by mistake a few times logged on without a VPN connection....whoops, forgot to make a VPN connection...thought I made the connection but didn't....my mistake as I started up the VPN app but didn't click make a connection...so Amazon had to send me a 2FA via SMS first.

In your mind you have really overblown BIG TIME the rare possible downsides to using a VPN connection.  Heck,  many, many, many people who live in their home country like the U.S. routinely use VPN connections even when there is no need....they do it simply because they feel more secure with their connection being encrypted by the VPN service.  But that VPN connection for "encryption purposes" is usually overkill/unneeded because most connections now days are make via HTTPS which is a secure, encrypted connection (a HTTP connection is not secure nor encrypted).   

Heck, even our connections to AseanNow are HTTPS connections indicated by a little padlock in the browser website window.   And financial type companies like banks have been using HTTPS connections for a long time.  So, all these folks who always use a VPN (even within the home country) are really only encrypting their connection a ""second time.   

As mentioned, many, many, many people use VPN connections all the time and if online accts like Amazon always blocked/closed accts/blacklisted such accts then there would be millions upon millions accts being shutdown and companies like Amazon losing business big time.   Now sure, sometimes a person's online acct might get locked/shut down because use of a VPN might have been the last little bit of evidence that company needed to help prove you broke some other acct terms of agreement/policy like maybe "people with an overseas home address are not allowed to have accts).   But just use of a VPN will not be the reason....the core reason will really be something else.....a "something else" detail a person fails to mention in their posted horror story/bitch about their acct getting locked/shutdown.  

Do yourself a favor....sign up for a VPN service and start using an U.S. IP address for those accts which want to see a U.S. IP address to avoid additional 2FA requirements.  It's within your power to make your online login experience less of a PIA...just use a VPN connection when needed/helpful....in this case it would be a cure for self-flagellation .  

image.png.77f891f70c4a4df0b6aa63267a788397.png

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Is VYKE also VOIP?

It is correct that having a VOIP number for 2FA is problematical. The trend is definitely the need for  a real U.S. mobile number in your name.

Yes, VYKE is VOIP. I have read all the above (most interesting). In my own experience I have never had any problem receiving 2FA (One Time Passcodes) whilst either in Thailand or the U.K. on my VYKE virtual U.K. mobile telephone number. However, the outfits I deal with are all U.K. based, not U.S. 

Edited by The Fugitive
  • Thanks 1

There is only one really bullet proof way to get around this.

The banks are getting really savvy on detecting any virtual VOIP numbers, and if if you think thats gonna get better rather than worse, you really are smoking the good stuff!

You suck it up and get a US mobile line that supports WiFi calling.

That phone sits in your house connected to your WiFi network and is for all intents and purposes is in the US, good for banking, the IRS, girlfriends etc.

You can dick around with all the VOIP options you want, but it's just a cat and mouse game

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/14/2022 at 1:16 PM, Pib said:

Yeap.....some online accts which do not accept VOIP number for 2FA may "initially" accept the number because the acct does not have "real time" number evaluation capability....that is, the ability to determine real-time if a number is VOIP/landline or not because a third-party service will probably used for that task. They may not evaluate the number until they do certain once-a-day (usually overnight) system tasks.   So, what ends up happening is the number is initially accepted...a works to receive 2FA code until the next day or so....then stops working/being offered for 2FA but can still be used to receive general info texts. 

It happened like with one of my U.S. bank online accts....after my Google Voice number stopped being offered for 2FA but still worked fine for general info texts from the bank....I tried adding another VOIP number one afternoon...and it was accepted and for the rest of day I logged off and on several times....each and every time the bank offered that VOIP number as a 2FA choice and would send the 2FA code which I received no problem.  But the next morning the joy was over....when going to logon that number was no longer offered to receive a 2FA, but it was still loaded in my online profile and could still be used to receive general info texts, voice calls, etc.....it just it would not be used for 2FA purposes.   Summary: OK-fine for general info texts but would not be used for 2FA codes.  

You really need to get yourself a VPN service like ExpressVPN, NordVPN, Surfshark, or any of the dozens upon dozens VPN service available for a few dollars a month.   You are right that a lot of online accts present extra login challenges/requirements (like requiring a 2FA via SMS) when logging on with an foreign IP address.   For my numerous U.S. online accts I almost always use a VPN connection with a U.S. IP address just to avoid that...plus, I usually I my U.S. mailing address on-file.   I've never had a problem with any accts, even with my Amazon acct which I have by mistake a few times logged on without a VPN connection....whoops, forgot to make a VPN connection...thought I made the connection but didn't....my mistake as I started up the VPN app but didn't click make a connection...so Amazon had to send me a 2FA via SMS first.

In your mind you have really overblown BIG TIME the rare possible downsides to using a VPN connection.  Heck,  many, many, many people who live in their home country like the U.S. routinely use VPN connections even when there is no need....they do it simply because they feel more secure with their connection being encrypted by the VPN service.  But that VPN connection for "encryption purposes" is usually overkill/unneeded because most connections now days are make via HTTPS which is a secure, encrypted connection (a HTTP connection is not secure nor encrypted).   

Heck, even our connections to AseanNow are HTTPS connections indicated by a little padlock in the browser website window.   And financial type companies like banks have been using HTTPS connections for a long time.  So, all these folks who always use a VPN (even within the home country) are really only encrypting their connection a ""second time.   

As mentioned, many, many, many people use VPN connections all the time and if online accts like Amazon always blocked/closed accts/blacklisted such accts then there would be millions upon millions accts being shutdown and companies like Amazon losing business big time.   Now sure, sometimes a person's online acct might get locked/shut down because use of a VPN might have been the last little bit of evidence that company needed to help prove you broke some other acct terms of agreement/policy like maybe "people with an overseas home address are not allowed to have accts).   But just use of a VPN will not be the reason....the core reason will really be something else.....a "something else" detail a person fails to mention in their posted horror story/bitch about their acct getting locked/shutdown.  

Do yourself a favor....sign up for a VPN service and start using an U.S. IP address for those accts which want to see a U.S. IP address to avoid additional 2FA requirements.  It's within your power to make your online login experience less of a PIA...just use a VPN connection when needed/helpful....in this case it would be a cure for self-flagellation .  

image.png.77f891f70c4a4df0b6aa63267a788397.png

A couple of things I think you are missing re VPN.  First of all, my main reason for solving this authentication issue is that I have an Amazon MERCHANT account. 

As a merchant if you try to connect with Seller Central (where you log in to Amazon to manage your merchant account) if their server detects your IP is through a VPN, it will automatically lock your account.  Their terms of service prohibit use of a VPN, and their servers can indeed detect whether you are using a VPN to connect to their Seller Account servers.  

The key point here is that it is vital to have a STATIC IP address that is unique and associated only with your computer.  If the IP address changes (i.e.) like when you travel, or even if you are in the same location but it is a dynamic address, red flags will result if you are logging into an existing account of yours that shows a record of a previous IP address, especially if you regularly clear your browser cache of previous cookies from that site.

Of course if you are only connecting to your buyers account, or bank, or whatever by VPN you will only face ID verification by email / SMS Text, or authenticator app....BUT WIlt a seller's account on Amazon or even eBay, it can be a whole lot more involved. 

Amazon, eBay, and other online SELLER platform have a much higher level of identity verification protocols for obvious reasons, and they have taken draconian steps in their battle against "black-hat" hackers who try to set up multiple selling accounts and fictitious ones from outside of the United States to commit fraud (most notably from China). 

So, trying to connect to Amazon Seller Central via an VPN will result in your account being instantly locked, and then requiring a lengthy procedure to get it reinstated. 

Keep in mind that reaching a live person at Amazon for help by phone is VERY problematic, so you could have your account locked for weeks and unable to sell any merchandise which would have a major impact on your bottom line, not to mention your page ranking.  For most, such a simple issue could become a business catastrophe!

Really the only way around this whole mess is to use a virtual cloud computer.  There is nothing that violates the terms of service at Amazon for using one (at least presently), and there are a number of economical and simple to set up options for getting noe up and running in literally only minutes!  And we're talking about reputable services like Google Cloud Services!

Since you are only charged for the amount of time you use it, it is remarkably cheap.  I mean, 90 percent of my online time can be done through my Thai IP address, so the amount of time I must connect through a US IP is really only for a few minutes a day at most.  I figure perhaps a couple of hours of use er month and that amounts to only about $10 USD per month.

As for the VOIP issue with identity verification, more and more company websites like banks and credit cards companies are starting to offer the option of using of authenticator apps.  Surprisingly, even Amazon is now doing this, thus eliminating the need to receive text messages for verification.

I now have authenticator apps for 3 of my bank/credit card accounts, and for Amazon.  Ebay is willing to accept foreign phone numbers for SMS Texting, so once I have the Cloud computer running I should be sitting pretty no matter where in the world I am ????

For those who want to explore this for themselves, there is an unassuming and remarkably informative YouTube video that explains it more coherently than I can. 

I ran across it by chance when I did a Google search for the keyword phrase "how to connect to Amazon Seller Central from overseas". 

This video is what got me thinking about Cloud servers in the first place, and it explains better than I can why VPN are not a good idea for Amazon sellers.

Oh and one more thing for fellow Apple/Mac users.  Even though all virtual cloud computers are set up as Windows or Linux server.s, this will work no matter what physical computer you use, if your only intention is to use a Cloud computer for web browsing since you use the web browser on your physical computer, once you are connected to your cloud computer.

Edited by WaveHunter

One other cool thing about setting up a cloud-based virtual computer is if your present computer is getting old and you need more RAM to run present programs, or more storage space than your present computer has.

I am in that position right now since my aging MacBook Pro.  Newer, more processor intensive programs are getting harder to use, or simply not compatible with my old machine.

If you do the math, the cost of buying a new MacBook Pro that will run these new programs, give me more storage space, etc is quite expensive compared to setting up a Cloud Computer that you can spec with the precise RAM, Storage, and processing power you need. 

Ulike a new computer (especially from Apple) I can configure a cloud computer for EXACTLY what I need without paying for what I do not need. 

And even better, if my needs (More RAM, more storage, faster processing speed) change over time, it only takes a minute to reconfigure the cloud computer to meet those needs with a corresponding (and reasonable) change in cost.  What's more, I can make those changes to just be temporary (i.e.: for a one time task) and then revert back to my basic configuration.

For instance, a few times a year I have the desire for "super-computing" power to perform certain tasks that would require something like Mac's new Mac Studio at around $8,000, or formerly a Mac Pro properly configured at around $25,000!  OMG!!!

With a Virtual Cloud computer, I would simply do an online reconfigure for the number of hours or days I needed that capability very cheaply by comparison, and then just re-configure back down to what I normally need when I'm done with that task.

Pay only for what you need, when you need it, and nothing more, and have the flexibility to change your configuration whenever you want to.  Makes a lot of sense to me!

Edited by WaveHunter

• 1 month later...
On 6/1/2022 at 4:19 PM, WaveHunter said:

I have been going crazy lately with my banks and credit card companies, as well as Amazon and eBay with their plethora of identity verifications they are now doing exclusively through text messaging.

FWIW, when I login to Amazon, I get an OTP number through my Thailand AIS sim.

• Thanks 1

On 8/16/2022 at 1:51 PM, John Drake said:

FWIW, when I login to Amazon, I get an OTP number through my Thailand AIS sim.

It's all really "the luck of the draw", but it seems like some of the major players are aware of the issue and have been seeking ways so that the end-user is not so inconvenienced by it anymore.  I have never had a problem with Amazon, but eBay was a complete nightmare earlier this year...but then they finally got their act together with 2-part authentication that actually works, and I have been trouble-free since July.

Still though, a Thai IP address is like a red flag for may US-based servers.  I can not log into most government sites at all, and when I contact them, they openly admit it is intentionally set up like that.  The same issue occurred when I tried to log into my internet domain provider to pay my annual renewal fee (Verio),  and had to do it with their assistance over the phone.

The only solution I have come up with is to set up a virtual cloud computer and use that when I need to interact with these sensitive sites.  It's really quite easy and cheap to do.  I only use the virtual computer when I need to connect to a site that I know will treat my Thai IP as a red flag, which amounts to only maybe 15-30 minutes a month, and you are only charged for the time you are connected, so it costs me maybe $10 USD per month.  best solution I could find, and I'm happy with it ????

• Thanks 1