Air Force To Arm F-35 Fighters With Its Own Weapon Systems

webfact

3 hours ago, webfact said:

ACM Panpakdee did not name a specific type or make of the air force’s airborne weapon systems to be installed aboard the sought-after F-35 Lightning II fighters

Samurai swords and/or machetes are much favoured by taxi drivers.

The Air Force wants the F-35 hourly cost comparable to the F-16, historically around $22,000 per hour, but in fiscal 2020 it was up to $27,000 per hour.Dec 3, 2564 BE

Do they realize how much these jets cost just to operate?  Then factor in maintenance, spare part inventory etc.  What about pilot training? From what I've read, this is a difficult plane to fly; only the best of the best pilots are accepted for training and some of those pilots don't make it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jaybott said:

The Air Force wants the F-35 hourly cost comparable to the F-16, historically around $22,000 per hour, but in fiscal 2020 it was up to $27,000 per hour.Dec 3, 2564 BE

Do they realize how much these jets cost just to operate?  Then factor in maintenance, spare part inventory etc.  What about pilot training? From what I've read, this is a difficult plane to fly; only the best of the best pilots are accepted for training and some of those pilots don't make it.

You just quoted the operational cost. That cost is all up, not just gas.

The agreed upon reduction brings Lockheed one step closer to its stated goal of reducing the flying cost of the F-35A to $25,000 per flight hour by FY2025.

https://www.flightglobal.com/fixed-wing/lockheed-agrees-to-30000-per-flight-hour-cost-for-f-35a-by-fy2023/145448.article

2 minutes ago, simon43 said:

In another career, I used to design guided weapon microwave guidance systems.  Thailand has almost zero capability in this sector.  I'll withhold further comments because it will lead to a suspension by the mods!!

There might be a way to get some capability. Let me think what that might be....

Let me guess, water canons and B52 airplanes that drop water balloons during songkran. Or even better, shoot with the unsold rice in warehouses that gotten bad. 

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Haha 1

The F35A variant comes with guns.

The F35B & F35C can carry external 25mm guns underneath.

US Navy I believe uses the B/C without guns. It's a matter of lighter weight, stealth and in the case of the B VTOL.

The F35 was designed as a stealth ground attack aircraft Navy. 

Thailand would do better to buy Gripens.

2 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

The F35A variant comes with guns.

The F35B & F35C can carry external 25mm guns underneath.

US Navy I believe uses the B/C without guns. It's a matter of lighter weight, stealth and in the case of the B VTOL.

The F35 was designed as a stealth ground attack aircraft Navy. 

Thailand would do better to buy Gripens.

There is also a great deal to distinguish them, most notably that the F-35 is a fifth generation fighter while the Gripen E is a modernisation of the fourth generation Gripen and is considered a ‘4+ generation’ design. Where the F-35 was developed under the world’s largest weapons program, and it is expected that over 2000 will be built despite possible deep cuts, the Gripen E is unlikely to see more than 200 airframes built with limited orders from the Swedish Air Force and only one success on export markets. 

https://militarywatchmagazine.com/article/swedens-lightweight-gripene-vs-americas-stealthy-f35a-pros-cons