the 4% concept...

1 hour ago, Will B Good said:

My capital and income all come from the UK......investing really is easy these days......the golden rule is "eggs and baskets".......I rarely invest in individual shares stick to big funds, property and P2P lending.....and a little side bet on cryptos......555

Same here.

Before moving, sold private property.
Still owning commercial property which pays for my stay here and rest is invest in stock exchange.
4% rule is, when you draw down on your capital.

I don't want to touch my principal.

Re-invest the dividends and compound.

10 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Thanks. Very good advice - we have a smart tv in the living room and yet I am content watching my 27" computer screen. 

Take control of your life and TV don't let them dominate, get a Firestick and the world is your oyster. 

5 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

yes, that is part of the question... and I guess an irony of ageing is that it might be more fun spending your money when you are younger and fitter... but then being 70+ and broke does not sound like much fun either.. 

Well dyeing miserable after seeing nothing and doing nothing much of your life 'cos you just want a big bank account is not much fun either when you are on your deathbed I suspect. Money does not grant you happiness, the love of it maybe, yet no amount can kickstart you when the old ticker has had enough of your life of boredom  and just shuts down.

Edited by Excel

For someone looking for a very good return on a well oiled company:

Go for LGEN

Legal and General

now, paying short of 7,3% dividend.
Increased the dividend for many yeqrs.
Yes, shares go up and down but i take my dividends twice a year and re-invest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Excel said:

Well dyeing miserable after seeing nothing and doing nothing much of your life 'cos you just want a big bank account is not much fun either when you are on your deathbed I suspect. Money does not grant you happiness, the love of it maybe, yet no amount can kickstart you when the old ticker has had enough of your life of boredom  and just shuts down.

Yes, true, I agree but for me, not my story at all.. I have had a pretty full life, plenty of travel and adventure and business adventure too... 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, RafPinto said:

For someone looking for a very good return on a well oiled company:

Go for LGEN

Legal and General

now, paying short of 7,3% dividend.
Increased the dividend for many yeqrs.
Yes, shares go up and down but i take my dividends twice a year and re-invest.

Surely not traded on the Thai Stock Exchange, right ? And even if it is, an investment dummy like me would not even know what the next step would be if I wanted to buy. Call one of my banks here in LOS ? Come on....I suspect the worst if I would try. I did try once to motivate the General Manager of a smaller branch to give me a hint. He said he did not know either.....

What is needed is something like the dummys guide to investment in Thailand with clear step by step instructions ????

Edited by moogradod

8 minutes ago, moogradod said:

Surely not traded on the Thai Stock Exchange, right ? And even if it is, an investment dummy like me would not even know what the next step would be if I wanted to buy. Call one of my banks here in LOS ? Come on....I suspect the worst if I would try. I did try once to motivate the General Manager of a smaller branch to give me a hint. He said he did not know either.....

What is needed is something like the dummys guide to investment in Thailand with clear step by step instructions ????

I don't trade on Thai stock exchange. I just trade the LSE.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, moogradod said:

you would need an investment account that handles issues in USA - like Schwab... there is always risk in investing and these are not stable times... when it comes to investing if you are not knowledgable, best to stay away.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, connda said:

Living here in Thailand, at 70 years old - I add to my saving monthly.
If you're drawing down on your saving in Thailand?  You've got a problem.  Now, if you lived in the US, UK, and some places in the EU.  I could understand that.  Living here in Thailand?  Then you don't have income.

Nothing wrong with living off of savings as long as you know that you have enough to live on & wont run out.

I’m  56 & my pensions don’t kick in until I’m 60 but I didn’t want to wait so retired at 53 & have more than enough savings to tide me over until I’m 60 even if I didn’t receive income from UK property/stock market which I treat as “Bonuses” rather than relying on them as income as a  tenant could leave & rental income dries up or a stock might not pay a dividend (in 2020 Barclays cancelled its dividend the day  before it was due to be paid).

So far this year these “Bonuses” have paid me 35K THB more than the approx 690K THB Ive spent but am expecting that I’ll end the year with around 200-250k THB less in my bank accounts than I started with which is approx 1/6th of what I budgeted to spend so don’t believe I have a problem.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

I read some time back that many financial advisors were saying that the 4% rule was obsolete and one should draw down less than that amount in order to avoid running out of funds in old age. This was probably due to the low interest rate environment of recent years and conservative investment strategies used by many people. Not sure if it will hold true when interest rates rise or if one invests more aggressively for better returns.

It’s also true that the backtesting on the 4% model was only done on US Markets & assumed a 30 year draw down period… Funny enough I watched a YT video yesterday that covered this… 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1

Just now, Mike Teavee said:

It’s also true that the backtesting on the 4% mode was only done on US Markets & assumed a 30 year draw down period… Funny enough I watched a YT video yesterday that covered this… 

The 4% rule doesn't work with an inflation standing at 8%

I try not to touch my investment/principal. Just draw a salary from my company and let the initial principal grow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, RafPinto said:

The 4% rule doesn't work with an inflation standing at 8%

I try not to touch my investment/principal. Just draw a salary from my company and let the initial principal grow.

yes, definitely  need to take  inflation into consideration so would need to drawdown a lot less than 4% during periods of high inflation.

I was a saver since getting out of debt at 29 & retired for the 1st time at 40 (2nd time at 48 & 3rd/final time at 53) & agree with previous comments that it’s hard to break the cycle to become a net spender but you can’t take it with you so might as well enjoy at least some of it whilst you can

(NB I don’t have kids so am not worried about leaving a legacy but can see how some guys would want to pass on as much as they can to help with their kids lives).

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

yes, definitely  need to take  inflation into consideration so would need to drawdown a lot less than 4% during periods of high inflation.

I was a saver since getting out of debt at 29 & retired for the 1st time at 40 (2nd time at 48 & 3rd/final time at 53) & agree with previous comments that it’s hard to break the cycle to become a net spender but you can’t take it with you so might as well enjoy at least some of it whilst you can

(NB I don’t have kids so am not worried about leaving a legacy but can see how some guys would want to pass on as much as they can to help with their kids lives).

Retired age 50.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Better to invest for income in your country of origin, where you can understand the language and the relative risks. I have investments in Australia earning income. I could probably buy stocks in Thailand, but the balance sheets most likely have some very creative accounting.

Rule #1 of investing: Never invest in something you don't understand.

Thanks Lacessit. I know this rule although I never thought about your idea of "creative accounting" as a show-stopper as well. You might be right with that one. But I have to live with the fact that I have only THB in Thailand.

But somebody makes some money on the SET, too, otherwise they would have to close. The problem is that it would resemble a lottery to try my luck there because I am not knowledgeable about the local markets. And no way I will enter a lottery. Rule #2: Invest only as much as you are willing and able to loose.

I did try only once - in 2001 - with perfect timing to participate at the burst of the bubble. Complete loss. Fortunately I observed Rule#2. Not too much of a damage - on the contrary it showed me that it is mandatory that you know in depths what you are doing which I clearly did not. Someone recommended Ethereum to me .... I am not convinced. Some funds (and let them be Thai resp. Asian funds) have at least a recognizable value you can count on. But I have not met anybody at any bank yet who would be able and willing to assist me. All they want and probably can is to sell their ridiculous life insurance.

2 minutes ago, moogradod said:

Thanks Lacessit. I know this rule although I never thought about your idea of "creative accounting" as a show-stopper as well. You might be right with that one. But I have to live with the fact that I have only THB in Thailand.

But somebody makes some money on the SET, too, otherwise they would have to close. The problem is that it would resemble a lottery to try my luck there because I am not knowledgeable about the local markets. And no way I will enter a lottery. Rule #2: Invest only as much as you are willing and able to loose.

I did try only once - in 2001 - with perfect timing to participate at the burst of the bubble. Complete loss. Fortunately I observed Rule#2. Not too much of a damage - on the contrary it showed me that it is mandatory that you know in depths what you are doing which I clearly did not. Someone recommended Ethereum to me .... I am not convinced. Some funds (and let them be Thai resp. Asian funds) have at least a recognizable value you can count on. But I have not met anybody at any bank yet who would be able and willing to assist me. All they want and probably can is to sell their ridiculous life insurance.

Google high yielding shares

Look at chart

Weekly chart 3 ema over 9 ema in an uptrend

Investing is simple really

Hvn and bhp have high yields on asx

1 minute ago, StayinThailand2much said:

I knew an English guy here in Thailand, who, in his 70s got married to a 30ish Thai lass, and even had a kid with her...

I know an ex teacher who was 65 did the same in Silom... ( and still married ) 

17 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Google high yielding shares

Look at chart

Weekly chart 3 ema over 9 ema in an uptrend

Investing is simple really

Hvn and bhp have high yields on asx

Thank you for trying to be of assistance. But are you aware that there are 17576 possibilities of 3 letter abbreviations ?

5 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Gold has been doing that for like 2 decades and was quite obvious upfront, if you understand economy at least. But S&P or many other things would have done just as good. 4% if very poorly done, specially if it was over a longer time already.

I think it is pathetic to see how long many people work and waste their vital years in life, to then have huge amounts but getting silly returns, and still worry and budget their life daily. Specially as the current retirement generations had the best time in the world to build up anything.

My generation does not even see a pension before age 71.5. Perhaps that is why it kicks balls to make it happen myself at a young age already.

Its rather easy to state where good previous investments have been .

It gets a bit more difficult when you have to make investments for the future .

The price of the S&P 500 had dropped in the last year

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Why, you'll be dead soon and you can't take it with you.

I'm 66 and fairly surprised I'm not dead, everyone else I know or was related was dead before that.

Lots live to 85 or 90yo. Farang avg is about 83 to 85 now.