Foreigner in serious condition after crashing big racing bike on corner in Pattaya area

webfact

57 minutes ago, Screaming said:

Stupid is as stupid does. Anyone who gets on a bike in Thailand is taking their own life in their hands. Be it skinny tires or fat tires, it is only a matter of time before you get hurt or die.

Stupid is as stupid does.jpg

I like to live dangerously. 
the worst bike accident I’ve ever had was back home, go figure 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Screaming said:

Stupid is as stupid does. Anyone who gets on a bike in Thailand is taking their own life in their hands. Be it skinny tires or fat tires, it is only a matter of time before you get hurt or die.

Stupid is as stupid does.jpg

WOW at my age I don't need another wife. We ride for pure fun and enjoyment if we get hurt or die it's our choice

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Looks like a 2006 GSXR 1000 with badly worn tyres. Bikes that age don't tend to have electronic rider aids like ABS or traction control to bail you out of trouble. In this case, most likely a tourist on a poorly maintained rental.

Hopefully he's got insurance and isn't too badly injured.

Some of the rental bikes here are best described as Kawayamhondukis.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, vandeventer said:

WOW at my age I don't need another wife. We ride for pure fun and enjoyment if we get hurt or die it's our choice

Based on that rational I guess there are some guys whose choice of fun is laying on railway tracks ????  Each to his own as they say although I always considered that the older you got the wiser you got but clearly that does not hold water for some folk.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I see that at least he was wearing a helmet, that should help.

Perhaps next time if he does recover, he will put some new tyres on as that tread looks pretty worn, they are not slicks (racing tyres) from what I can see.

i would say....slow down a bit. Those Valentino's are not only a danger to themselfs. Hope he will make it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IamNoone88 said:

Until it is becomes illegal to rent a motorbike to a tourist or any-one who does not have a valid Thai motorcycle license (which may or not be the case here), then the carnage will continue. I see the road blocks fining tourists every day for not having a license or a helmet.

But the cause remains the rental companies giving out the bikes in the first place. Maybe one hand feeds the other .... but if you "want" to stop these accidents get  to the cause of the problem and eliminate it.

If you have a bike licence from your country and an international permit you can legally ride for 90 days, I believe.

People rent bikes here stupidly thinking it is some fun adventure.  Like going to the go cart track.  But, saying everyone should have a Thai motorcycle license is nonsense.  You can rent cars all over the world with your home countries drivers license.  For tourists a home country motorcycle license should be sufficient to rent a motorbike/cycle here.  But, it is another one of those issues that will probably never be changed.or regulated.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StevieAus said:

I am not sure if having a valid Thai motor cycle licence would make any difference, considering how easily they are obtained.

Take yourself along to a DLT office when they are conducting the testing and see the farce in action, the testing for the car licence is no better.

Most of my friends including myself got our bike license transferred from our home country, we knew how to ride before we came here.

• Like 1

He forgot that that laws not being enforced in Thailand does not mean that they do not have a purpose, he forgot that riding a big motorbike only gives a feeling of being invincible, he forgot that the roads in Thailand and the drivers that are ubiquitous are not conducive to high speed driving, he forgot that being young and alert is no guarantee of survival on these roads, and I wonder if he was wearing that helmet, or had the strap locked under his chin, just wondering....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, overherebc said:

Tread is for wet roads. If it's dry, slicks are better.

True. However it is the rainy season.

Out here in rural Kamphaeng Phet it has been dry for 2 days and we have just had a heavy shower. Slicks would not be a good idea.

6 hours ago, overherebc said:

Tread is for wet roads. If it's dry, slicks are better.

Lucky it never rains in Thailand and his pit crew can change from slicks to intermediates or full wets if needed

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Boedog said:

Lucky it never rains in Thailand and his pit crew can change from slicks to intermediates or full wets if needed

Would have been better if they could have changed his common sense rating.

Edited by overherebc
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Guderian said:

I've no idea if this guy lived here or was a tourist, but driving along Thappraya Road and Second Road in Jomtien yesterday I came across several packs of farangs on small motorbikes, they looked like they were tourists on rentals, and they drove like it too, all over the shop, not looking where they're going. This is not a joke, the roads here are too busy already, mucking about on a motorbike when you're not properly trained to ride it is asking for a large hospital bill or, even worse, a much smaller bill from the crematorium. Take care out there people, it's dangerous.

I live in rural Kamphaeng Phet and I take my son and my neighbours daughter to school in the mornings. At that time of day the roads are busy si I drive slower.

This morning 2 schoolgirls on a new red plate scooter came straight out of a side road about 30 metres in front of me without looking. I hit the brake hard, kicked it down to 3rd gear from 5th and let the clutch in for engine braking as well. When I looked again they were on the yellow line in the middle of the road and almost got hit by a car coming the other way.

The only good thing is that they were wearing crash helmets. Thai, but helmets.

I pointed it out to my 2 teenagers, and they saw and understood what I was on about.

The 2 girls had no idea how to ride a scoot at all, with a red plate I guess Mummy or Daddy bought it for them as a birthday present.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

What they meant was, it's a given that they can come out of a side road without looking, hope nothing was coming and if yes they can brake or avoid them.
A bit like coming out of a side road and instantly travelling down the wrong side of the road against the traffic until they can get over to the correct side.

See my post above this one. In the mornings, I ALWAYS drive slower with my headlights on so that people can see me. The 2 above didn't even look.

I drive past 4 schools to take the teenagers to their school, and I slow down and put my 4 way flashers on every time as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vandeventer said:

But it may not be the choice of the people you hit in an accident.

That is one reason why I gave up biking at 75 years old.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, billd766 said:

But it may not be the choice of the people you hit in an accident.

That is one reason why I gave up biking at 75 years old.

I'm 74 but I got God on my side and he has done such a good job so far.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

55 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

People rent bikes here stupidly thinking it is some fun adventure.  Like going to the go cart track.  But, saying everyone should have a Thai motorcycle license is nonsense.  You can rent cars all over the world with your home countries drivers license.  For tourists a home country motorcycle license should be sufficient to rent a motorbike/cycle here.  But, it is another one of those issues that will probably never be changed.or regulated.

But it depends on your motorcycle licence from the UK.

Many times on here I have read on here of young men with the balls but not the brains, who rent a big bike whilst on holiday here, but only have a scooter or a 125cc licence from the UK.

A lot of the survivors can be found in Thai hospitals waiting for the GoFundMe money to come through.

• Like 1