It's all going cashless!

proton

25 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Starbucks near ne now is cashless, you either pay by card or by scanning and a bank transfer.  Makro near us is going the same way, scan and pay by transfer.

I was yesterday at our Local Makro and a trader (which had 2 cards full of stuff) was paying with I kid you not mostly 20 THB bills, and his total bill was around 7,5k!! It took forever to count so not much fun for people in the queue behind him.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MJCM said:

I was yesterday at our Local Makro and a trader (which had 2 cards full of stuff) was paying with I kid you not mostly 20 THB bills, and his total bill was around 7,5k!! It took forever to count so not much fun for people in the queue behind him.

This t-shirt I have ???? 

The cashier was less than diplomatic with the perp, I learned some new words in Thai that time???? 

EDIT I've not seen her since, hope she didn't get fired ???? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

This t-shirt I have ???? 

The cashier was less than diplomatic with the perp, I learned some new words in Thai that time???? 

The Cashier wasn't talking, but you could hear the people in the row behind him and in the row we were in (which was next to the "action"). The trader couldn't care less!!

So cashless for these people will not work, why? Movement of large sums in Bank accounts could attract attention (in the future????) from the Tax Man (Just guessing here though)!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Not a problem for me, Starbucks never gets my business. I suppose some people like to look trendy while drinking weak dishwater.

Who said I drink their coffee....

2 minutes ago, Jai Dee said:

f you don't then the vendor should provide a local wifi hotspot so you can connect.

If they do that (for example in a place like Makro) I think it would take approx 10 min just to open the Bank App ????

• Haha 2

I never used QR code cashless payments.

Worried about what it will do to my bank book at update time. ????

While I need to show my 12 money transfers from from home.

Page 21, first transfer. Then page ???? for second transfer, and so on for 12 months.

Perhaps I worry too much hehe

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Andre0720 said:

I never used QR code cashless payments.

Worried about what it will do to my bank book at update time. ????

While I need to show my 12 money transfers from from home.

Page 21, first transfer. Then page ???? for second transfer, and so on for 12 months.

Perhaps I worry too much hehe

I only update my Bank Book a couple of days before going to Immigration and then it will show as ONE BIG transaction if you haven't updated the bank book in a while.

After that the next time I update my Bank Book is on the date I am going to Immigration!

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, proton said:

Is it an app or do you apply at the bank?

If you have the phone-banking app it should be in there as an option.

I think you can set up at an ATM too (may depend upon the bank), please make sure there's not a queue behind you ???? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Jai Dee said:

Yep... me too. :sad:

Very frustrating.

These pay-by-phone apps are OK if you have your mobile data turned on so you can use the 3G network, but if you don't then the vendor should provide a local wifi hotspot so you can connect. Not sure about the security aspects of that though... :unsure:

Starting to see more and more free wifi hot spots popping up here in Bangkok. All the malls have them based upon your cellular provider if you care to log in....so many afraid their phone will get malware.

You buy a new phone.

Or, there are phones which draw a charge from being placed near or held together with a phone with same functionality.  My students from Sth. Korea have talked about a number of innovations yet to be released. It seems Smasung and other brands often give out 'test' models to get feedback about their new innovations/models.

Let's be honest, cash doesn't create more cash by being held near existing cash.

16 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Part of what I do is analysing how people use "customer facing" interfaces.

More ancient members may remember BTS introducing the machines that accepted banknotes with the big screen.

Someone had the smart idea of showing advertising on the welcome screen (really the screen-saver).

Net result, passengers stood there watching the adverts rather than actually buying tickets.

Idea shelved :whistling: 

• Haha 2

Yeah….I’ve seen that at theaters too.

So….I go to the kiosk next to the ticket machines (there is always one there).  I pay in cash, they give me change and then the cashier walks to the ticket machine with their card and buys the tickets for me.

So….no….they’re not going cashless.

Edited by Airalee
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Most real men still use cash. And most cinemas have the ticket machines which accept cash. 

Most of Thailand will remain a cash loving society for decades to come. Hopefully. 

Cineplex now have no machine taking cash, made a point of asking

53 minutes ago, billd766 said:

All this is fine if you live in a big city or a tourist area.

Try it outside in rural Thailand at the shops and local markets and I would be surprised if 5% of the businesses will accept it. 7/11 and chain stores excepted but local businesses serve mostly local people and most local rural people use cash money.

See how many food vans in rural areas will take it, baht buses, m/c taxis etc.

Most of the Thai people don't live in the big cities but in smaller towns, villages moo bans etc

I do think it is interesting my massage shop can accept phone payments, and it is definitely not in a tourist area.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MJCM said:

The Cashier wasn't talking, but you could hear the people in the row behind him and in the row we were in (which was next to the "action"). The trader couldn't care less!!

So cashless for these people will not work, why? Movement of large sums in Bank accounts could attract attention (in the future????) from the Tax Man (Just guessing here though)!

Perhaps he was a village shop/trader who deals mainly in cash.

How many times has this happened to you in a year?

25 minutes ago, MJCM said:

If they do that (for example in a place like Makro) I think it would take approx 10 min just to open the Bank App ????

Then the trader has to (perhaps) open a bank account to pay the cash into, thus causing another queue at the bank this time, (not your problem though).

Not mine either. I pay all my monthly bills by online banking except PEA. All others I pay in cash, Going through the till at Makro I get their card from my wallet and get the cash out at the same time. So easy.

9 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I do think it is interesting my massage shop can accept phone payments, and it is definitely not in a tourist area.

My massage shop is my friend of 29 years who lives next door. She also does a good manicure and pedicure and if I am having problems walking she does house calls too.

The only happy ending for me at 78, is less pain when she has finished.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I am wondering whether posters on this thread who favor cashless are aware Big Brother has them in his grip.

Cash is anonymous, governments love cashless because everything is trackable.

What about credit card ? online purchases ? etc... 

Are you worried about your 7-11 purchases being watched ?

I’m genuinely curious, what exactly is the concern that 'big brother’ can track purchases ?

Edited by richard_smith237