Former police inspector loses his entire retirement savings to call center gang posing as "fake cops"

webfact

22 minutes ago, bdenner said:

Ya gotta wunda what the average IQ of the BiB is?

Not many wonder as it is quite obvious it is lower bound compared to other professions. No doubt those with a similar IQ to the RTP will give me a "sad" for stating the obvious.  ????

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, peter zwart said:

Not the smartest he? Let me try to explain. Now you have a falang coming to Thailand. He/she rents a scooter. Within a few days he/she is stopped by a friendly BIB who thinks it is very dangerous to ride without a helmet. So, as a warning, he gives a chance to donate some in his pension pot.

What?

"Not the smartest he? " 

What?  Who's "not the smartest he [sic]"

• Confused 2

26 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

This place never ceases to amaze me. A senior policeman, having worked high up in crime prevention, to fall for such a scam would be mind boggling anywhere else.

That he never considered any of it suspicious until it was too late is amazing. Sharing sensitive information to anyone you have not verified is 100% genuine is just stupid, stupid, stupid.

I won't get into where the 1.8 million came from in the first place, other than to say that it is said the people most angry about being robbed are those who came by the money dishonestly to start with.

Spot on dsd.

• Thanks 1

It's not just here in Thailand. It's happening in many countries. I

t's a speciality of Indian scammers who set up call centres manned by staff who prey on vunerable or less tech savvy people, usually the elderly. Buy even careful people can sometimes fall for their traps.

Scum that ruin peoples lives.

I think there was a poster in another thread that recently linked a Youtube video on how they work.

• Like 1

I've had a few automated phone calls lately telling me I had a parcel to be delivered and to press #9 to continue even though I did have a parcel due one of the times I still hung up. I would never listen to any call like this told my wife to do the same if she got one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

I think he is referring to a civil servant on 15k a month having 1.8 million cash in the bank. Either a genius with saving and investing his small salary, which we learn from the OP he was not, or was bent as a 9 bob note.

Increases over the years.

A school director near us retired with a 2 million lump sum payment and 40k per month for the rest of his life.

Another school director near us runs the local karaoke bars and recruits the girls straight from the school.

Edited by JeffersLos
  • Sad 3

40 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

Increases over the years.

A school director near us retired with a 2 million lump sum payment and 40k per month for the rest of his life.

Another school director near us runs the local karaoke bars and recruits the girls straight from the school.

I'm sure he deserves it all , plus the rest he milked off over the years and still turned out thick kids 10 to the dozen.

Edited by Orinoco

4 minutes ago, olfu said:

Its kinda simple in american bank--you can add money remotely but to transfer money out you have to do in person.

I was just thinking to myself "I wonder what banking is like in America"

Thanks for informing me of what its like in America

• Like 1
  • Haha 1