UPDATE: Parents of 12-year-old girl allegedly injured by forced school exercise meets with the accused teacher to settle dispute in Sri Racha

webfact

image.jpeg

By Tanakorn Panyadee

Sri Racha, Chonburi — The parents of a 12-year-old injured girl met with an accused teacher, who allegedly injured her by making her do 60 squat jumps as a class group punishment, to settle the dispute. The teacher would reportedly take care of the hospital bill.

The 12-year-old girl (name withheld due to being a minor) narrated the incident today, June 10th, that led to her hospitalization. According to her, the female teacher, whose name was also withheld as part of a pending agreement between the parents and the teacher, found that some students (sixth graders) reportedly broke a pen and spilled ink on the teacher’s desk in the classroom as a prank.

The teacher then asked the responsible party to raise their hand, but nobody did, which angered the teacher. As a result, the teacher punished the entire class by making them do 50 squat jumps, the girl said.

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/06/10/update-parents-of-12-year-old-girl-allegedly-injured-by-forced-school-exercise-meets-with-the-accused-teacher-to-settle-dispute/

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2022-06-11

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Easiest way to own or rent a car in Thailand - click here to find out more!

• Sad 1

Could be worse could have them march in square around school outside lol

Was the penalty excessive.  maybe BUT the point has been made with the class that teacher is serious and has a way to punsih them.

All it would have taken is the students that did it come forward.

Push ups would have worked as well start with 20 each then progress.  

Teachers have few tools to punish students exercise is the best one they have available take that away and you might as well remove the teacher.

It does not say what was wrong with the student just that mom and dad got upset.  Does anyone think that Mom and dad may be a little soft because it was their precious daughter.

FYI I used to give teachers <deleted> if they did not punish my daughter with similar methods.

Also daughter never came home to complain about teacher to me.  Did not want double punishment's

My dad was the same you screw up do the punishment be it detention standing in front of principals office or the strap.

Every time I got in trouble the principal let my mother know as we went to the same church and she was part of the PTA.

• Sad 1

The education system here is more like being a prisoner of war of the Imperial Japanese at times.

What an authoritarian shamozzle!

Not to mention young girls doing squat jumps in skirts is some dodgy goings on indeed! Bloody pervert.

Edited by chalawaan
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, chalawaan said:

The education system here is more like being a prisoner of war of the Imperial Japanese at times.

What an authoritarian shamozzle!

Not to mention young girls doing squat jumps in skirts is some dodgy goings on indeed! Bloody pervert.

do you guys read the articles?  The teacher is female (so dont think she was a pervert) 

Also the girl spent 6 days in the hospital afterwards as she had pre-existing medical conditions.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, webfact said:

some students (sixth graders) reportedly broke a pen and spilled ink on the teacher’s desk in the classroom as a prank.

"Haha, let's break this pen and spill ink on the teacher's desk as a prank!" - How is that even a prank?  Would these kids really deliberately break a pen and spill ink on the teacher's desk?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BangkokReady said:

"Haha, let's break this pen and spill ink on the teacher's desk as a prank!" - How is that even a prank?  Would these kids really deliberately break a pen and spill ink on the teacher's desk?

Didn't think they used real fountain pens that require filling with ink so hence being able to break it open, or an ink cartridge, so that the ink spills, certainly none of my children who went to school here didn't.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Bad for knees. Beyond 20 its not good for you unless you are fit.

Any exercise can cause damage if done too much

Exactly. For anyone unfit, out of shape, being forced to do 60 squat jumps, could certainly injure your joints (mainly knees). Don't think so, try a set right now, see how you feel afterwards. 

• Like 1

If you read the article, they had to do 50 squat jumps followed by another 60 because the kids still didn't own up. 110 squats. I challenge any fit adult to do this. My daughter has juvenile arthritis and being forced to do something like this would cause an enormous amount of pain and damage to her knees. 

A better consequence would have been to keep the kids in at playtime and make them tidy/clean the whole classroom including the desk. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, poyai111 said:

20 years ago a fat kid in a classroom would be exceptional. Nowadays, commonplace. Student, if in fact, obese, would find the task of even standing on one leg for 10 seconds, unachievable let alone squat jumps, push ups or pull ups. Fitness for Thai kids has been sorely neglected for a long time.

Are you kidding me they spend more time playing sports than in the classroom.