How to legally help wife on a noodle stall without getting arrested?

Just now, Mac Mickmanus said:

I seem to recall that it was a felang who was cooking food in a his own restaurant in the morning . 

He claims he was cooking his own breakfast .

Maybe it was his own breakfast or maybe it was a customers' breakfast that he was cooking ?

I have heard some stories during my 20 years, and also expats placed at deportation center waiting for being deported. 

The risk helping out wife at a noodles shop, dependes on where it is, and how active he is. 

I wouldn't bother at all working in public. Home at farm, different

May be you can start a Vlog and Blog about how to run  a Noodle shop and post in youtube. There are no shortages of Vblogger and equal number of people interested in watching those boring videos. 

Edited by Onerak

5 minutes ago, Hummin said:

I have heard some stories during my 20 years, and also expats placed at deportation center waiting for being deported. 

The risk helping out wife at a noodles shop, dependes on where it is, and how active he is. 

I wouldn't bother at all working in public. Home at farm, different

Were they actually just cooking their own breakfast to eat , or were they cooking for customers and just claimed that it was food for themselves ? 

1 minute ago, DaRoadrunner said:

It is possible for a farang to set up a company and get a work permit to run a restaurant, providing it offers food that is not Thai. For example, I know one Brit who has a work permit to run a fish n chip shop in Phuket.

Short answer yes, being a chef is one of the things you can do. 

Once you open a restaurant, if you want to get a work permit for yourself or a foreign employee, you must have at least 2 million Baht registered  and paid up capital and hire 4 Thai employees for each work permit. These ratios of 2M capital and 4 Thais per work permit apply to US and other nationalities alike.

https://thailawyers.com/open-restaurant-thailand/#:~:text=Once you open a restaurant,US and other nationalities alike.

3 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Were they actually just cooking their own breakfast to eat , or were they cooking for customers and just claimed that it was food for themselves ? 

I have no idea, I have just registered headlines and heard stories, without checking real facts. But heard enough to keep my hands off working in public 

And of course there is delicate stories where it could be true someone made their own breakfest in their family business, and he did not have WP.

13 hours ago, ezzra said:

Unfortunately Thailand is very 'funny' that way, very protective of it's labour and who works without a permit and its not worth the risk, that pilot you mentioned or others who work, either he has some kind of arrangements of he is just being stupid, best to let you wife do all the work and not to be seen working/helping her at all...

I've read before that it's common and legal in many countries, incl., Thailand, for airlines to employ a certain % of pilots from other nationalities. 

I'm aware of a young European guy (27 years old) who was employed to advise/teach hilltribe farmers about growing/blending/roasting/marketing coffee. Seems that although quite young he was qualified in the the above areas. He was working with a Thai work permit, and he very quickly mastered spoken and written Thai.

He was advised to apply for Thai citizenship, he did and within 3 years he had citizenship and Thai passport. Since then he's establish several small successful Thai restaurants and coffee shops, mostly in Bkk and he can work in any capacity/anywhere/any circumstances because he has Thai nationality. 

He's shared a couple of times being confronted by Thai cops etc., and by other shop owners. He let's the cops or whoever go through their rant then opens and shows his Thai passport. In most cases the cops etc., just freeze then withdraw. 

He's now also employed to teach marketing, in a Thai language program, to bachelor students at one of Thailand's so called prestigious universities and he has long-trm tenure. 

there are loads of foreigners working illegally in thailand, some not even trying to have a low profile, and getting away with it; i know a guy who runs a restaurant openly advertised on social media and review sites and another guy playing guitar in pattaya bars frequently posting about his (illegal) activity on facebook.

5 minutes ago, it is what it is said:

there are loads of foreigners working illegally in thailand, some not even trying to have a low profile, and getting away with it; i know a guy who runs a restaurant openly advertised on social media and review sites and another guy playing guitar in pattaya bars frequently posting about his (illegal) activity on facebook.

And there is crackdowns on such work, especially bartender, diving instructors and diving companies. At Koh Tao is everyone informed at once the immigration or drug police leave mainland. Also happens special police arrived in helicopters stirred up the illigal workers a bit ???? I lived on Koh Tao in two different looked, and saw it first hand.

as others have noted--location and being stealth

long ago i sold food at big c night parking in lot with a thai girl--we shared the table

no issues.....when i finally got a visa and work permit to be a chef here i was upset no

one ever asked to see it as it took forever with all the dang paperwork....still have it!

be stealth and out of tourists areas...or dont risk it

• Like 1

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Every province in Thailand has an immigration office. 

How do you know that ?... you meet a policeman, wave and he waves back ?

Police are generally fine and nothing to be frightened off, but give them a chance to make money and there you go... 

Then you’d be a food..

I bet the foreigners working didn’t go to a police station and ask if they can work without a work permit. 

They just got on with it and kept quiet about it. 

Only an naive idiot would give the police a tip-off....  Is that so hard to understand?

(rhetorical.. seems it is !)

Good luck getting that written permission that works for immigration too.

Sounds like you have just stepped foot in Thailand and have no idea or are one of thee naive feckless pensioners wondering around as if the world is wonderful and peachy... 

Do you even have a clue how large the provinces are in Isaan?

Everyone in our small village knows everyone. Try not to think you are a know at all. You don't live here. Same police for years and years and years.

You must be confused with Bangkok police or someone else.

You probably don't have monks showing up at 2, 3 PM having an ice cream and cookies. Because even though it is against the rules, they do want they want to do here. Who is there to stop them? Your rules for everyone?

I would think, and think pretty hard, there are no 2 places the exact same in Thailand.

If you think the rules are exactly the same, think again. What you know applies to where you live, not where I live.

How many 1000's of posts have there been with different experiences at different immigration offices?

So before you start waggling on about just setting foot in Thailand, remember, you only know what you know. Nothing more.

Tourist areas are not Isaan. 

Stick to what you know, don't try to preach things you know nothing about and have never even been.

2 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

as others have noted--location and being stealth

long ago i sold food at big c night parking in lot with a thai girl--we shared the table

no issues.....when i finally got a visa and work permit to be a chef here i was upset no

one ever asked to see it as it took forever with all the dang paperwork....still have it!

be stealth and out of tourists areas...or dont risk it

Are you currently working as a chef?

• Sad 1

On 6/12/2022 at 11:29 PM, DaRoadrunner said:

It is possible for a farang to set up a company and get a work permit to run a restaurant, providing it offers food that is not Thai. For example, I know one Brit who has a work permit to run a fish n chip shop in Phuket.

a Brit running a chippie is acceptable. a farang/falang/ferang/ ferrlung slingin' 20 baht noodles is just plain silly ????