Public Urged to Get Booster Shots Against Covid-19

webfact

On 6/16/2022 at 4:53 PM, sqwakvfr said:

So what?  He is the face of the Covid response in the US.  He has had two booster shots.  He has been the God of masking.  He has not tested positive.  Sounds like a mixed message?  This is what?  Do you have anything to add?

But he's not dead, indeed he's not particularly ill - vaccines aren't a guarantee against infection, no one has claimed they are, but they will most likely keep you from serious illness, and out of hospital.  At 81 Faucci is very much in the  'at risk category', so the vaccines are doing their job.

Edited by Stocky
  • Like 2

On 6/16/2022 at 1:40 PM, david555 said:

any Pfizer booster shot possible in Pattaya ?

Royal Garden, 15 June to 31 July.

every Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, 11:00 to 15:00.

(errors excepted)

All stuff available.

Pfizer

AstraZeneca

Sinopharm

Covovax

What is Covovax? No Moderna.

Walk in, no appointment needed.

First day was so quiet they are sitting and waiting for customers.

Source is in German, poster in Thai language :smile:

(organized by the P. city hospital)

I would have to chance to go there end of June but I  also got enough after three shots.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thanks 1

The current, original COVID vaccine does its best against Omicron in largely preventing death and serious illness from COVID, especially among older and other vulnerable populations.

With the changes to the virus since the start of the pandemic and the latest versions of Omicron, the original vaccine has become less effective than it originally was in separately preventing basic infections and the spread of the virus.

Both Pfizer and Moderna are currently testing new versions of their COVID vaccine that are designed to protect against the original version of the virus and the newer Omicron variants.

And those newer vaccine versions -- not yet approved anywhere or available for public use -- also are supposed to have a longer lifespan of effectiveness in preventing infection, meaning boosters wouldn't be required so often as is currently the case.

Also, the coronavirus circulating in the world continues to evolve and change, with the latest versions now being found in some areas even more able to evade the protections of the current, original vaccines.

Covid hospitalisations rise in Europe as sub-variants fuel new wave

Omicron offshoots BA.4 and BA.5 drive increase in infections in Portugal, UK, France and Germany

European countries are experiencing a surge in Covid-19 hospitalisations driven by sub-variants of the highly infectious Omicron strain, threatening a fresh global wave of the disease as immunity levels wane and pandemic restrictions are lifted.

Admissions have risen in several countries including France and England, according to data analysed by the Financial Times. The BA.5 sub-variant of Omicron now accounts for more than 80 per cent of new infections in Portugal. In Germany, where admissions have been rising for over a week, the share of Covid infections ascribed to BA.5 doubled at the end of last month.

Piotr Kramarz, head of surveillance at the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control, said Omicron sub-variants such as BA.4 and BA.5 had an element of “immune escape” — meaning that neither previous infections nor vaccines provide such strong protection — which was driving them to overtake previously dominant variants."

https://www.ft.com/content/8c871596-d3c0-438c-b54c-f47b26aa4b7a

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

Royal Garden, 15 June to 31 July.

every Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, 11:00 to 15:00.

(errors excepted)

All stuff available.

What is Covovax? No Moderna.

Walk in, no appointment needed.

First day was so quiet they are sitting and waiting for customers.

Source is in German, poster in Thai language :smile:

(organized by the P. city hospital)

I would have to chance to go there end of June but I  also got enough after three shots.

Thanks for the info , i shall go Wednesday try my luck .

As i must fly in 1 September leaving Thailand and i wish no disruption concerning another covid on the rise , as in England and in my country Belgium there is a steady rise in new infections and hospitalizations , however not dramatically yet  but that can change quick because the holidays and the masses disrupted crowds on airports because flight problems  ....

Better prepare myself than be too late to anticipate in a sudden rush to boosters or vaccinations ????

1 hour ago, onthedarkside said:

The current, original COVID vaccine does its best against Omicron in largely preventing death and serious illness from COVID, especially among older and other vulnerable populations.

With the changes to the virus since the start of the pandemic and the latest versions of Omicron, the original vaccine has become less effective than it originally was in separately preventing basic infections and the spread of the virus.

Both Pfizer and Moderna are currently testing new versions of their COVID vaccine that are designed to protect against the original version of the virus and the newer Omicron variants.

And those newer vaccine versions -- not yet approved anywhere or available for public use -- also are supposed to have a longer lifespan of effectiveness in preventing infection, meaning boosters wouldn't be required so often as is currently the case.

Also, the coronavirus circulating in the world continues to evolve and change, with the latest versions now being found in some areas even more able to evade the protections of the current, original vaccines.

Covid hospitalisations rise in Europe as sub-variants fuel new wave

Omicron offshoots BA.4 and BA.5 drive increase in infections in Portugal, UK, France and Germany

European countries are experiencing a surge in Covid-19 hospitalisations driven by sub-variants of the highly infectious Omicron strain, threatening a fresh global wave of the disease as immunity levels wane and pandemic restrictions are lifted.

Admissions have risen in several countries including France and England, according to data analysed by the Financial Times. The BA.5 sub-variant of Omicron now accounts for more than 80 per cent of new infections in Portugal. In Germany, where admissions have been rising for over a week, the share of Covid infections ascribed to BA.5 doubled at the end of last month.

Piotr Kramarz, head of surveillance at the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control, said Omicron sub-variants such as BA.4 and BA.5 had an element of “immune escape” — meaning that neither previous infections nor vaccines provide such strong protection — which was driving them to overtake previously dominant variants."

https://www.ft.com/content/8c871596-d3c0-438c-b54c-f47b26aa4b7a

Nice to know it could come .... but in mean time we have to use what is available 

10 hours ago, garygooner said:

If people still want boosters wouldn't it be better now to wait for the Omicron specific vaccines when they are available. 

Is that even being worked on?  I haven't heard a peep about it.  Surely it should be relatively straight forward?  It's been out for seven months.

Or are there stock-piles that need to be used up?

2 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Is that even being worked on?  I haven't heard a peep about it.  Surely it should be relatively straight forward?  It's been out for seven months.

Or are there stock-piles that need to be used up?

Most of reason i like to do it  is because travelling in September , and as said the infections and hospitalizations are rising again in some Europe country's and not even  dramatically , but that can change quick because the tourisms season ....,  most i like to avoid to be not compatible to fly if ever they a sudden change those rules again ....????

I never trust Murphy & his laws ....????

2 hours ago, david555 said:

Nice to know it could come .... but in mean time we have to use what is available 

My purpose, was to let people here know that there's been ongoing work on the updated version of the COVID vaccine for months now...and it's nearing the point where it can be considered by regulators, probably first in the U.S., which is expected later this year.

No idea what that's going to end up meaning for Thailand, which usually lags behind in such things.

What many posters here are often complaining about are:

--the need/recommendation to have booster shots every 4-5 months, and

--the reduced effectiveness of the original vaccine in preventing routine infections.

Both of those issues are going to be addressed in the forthcoming, updated version of the vaccine -- much better effectiveness against the current Omicron variant, and longer duration / less waning.

• Like 2

On 6/16/2022 at 2:53 AM, sqwakvfr said:

So what?  He is the face of the Covid response in the US.  He has had two booster shots.  He has been the God of masking.  He has not tested positive.  Sounds like a mixed message?  This is what?  Do you have anything to add?

I think that due to Fauci's age and his exposures (guessing here but he is in contact with medical people all day right?) he is probably in a high risk group and has been throughout the pandemic.

He has tested positive but has not been sick or been hospitalized.

So I would say his vaccinations probably did their job.

I was working in the community, going into people's homes throughout the pandemic.

At one point my city and one section of it where I worked were the "hottest" for number of new infections in the world.

I never got COVID. i was vaccinated, of course it is impossible to know if the vaccinations helped me, but I was glad to have them.

We all interpret the information in our own way.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cdemundo said:

I think that due to Fauci's age and his exposures (guessing here but he is in contact with medical people all day right?) he is probably in a high risk group and has been throughout the pandemic.

He has tested positive but has not been sick or been hospitalized.

So I would say his vaccinations probably did their job.

I was working in the community, going into people's homes throughout the pandemic.

At one point my city and one section of it where I worked were the "hottest" for number of new infections in the world.

I never got COVID. i was vaccinated, of course it is impossible to know if the vaccinations helped me, but I was glad to have them.

We all interpret the information in our own way.

Fauci is the director of the NIH.  Doubt he has much contact with anyone except his staff.  He probably spends a lot of time in staff meetings, zoom calls and in the past on TV and radio.  

8 hours ago, Stocky said:

But he's not dead, indeed he's not particularly ill - vaccines aren't a guarantee against infection, no one has claimed they are, but they will most likely keep you from serious illness, and out of hospital.  At 81 Faucci is very much in the  'at risk category', so the vaccines are doing their job.

In the beginning the claim was made by many in the former administration that the vaccine would prevent infection.  But now it protects against severe illness.  This is expected because this is a new virus and much still needs to be learned.  But lockdowns, closing schools, zoom calls and forever masking are not the answer.  These are the things that Fauci has pushed for again and again.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, garygooner said:

If people still want boosters wouldn't it be better now to wait for the Omicron specific vaccines when they are available. 

Not if one expects a new strain that might come from a different line. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

Fauci is the director of the NIH.  Doubt he has much contact with anyone except his staff.  He probably spends a lot of time in staff meetings, zoom calls and in the past on TV and radio.  

"Doubt he has much contact..."

"He probably..."

I admitted I was "guessing here".

Difference in outlook I guess.

Edited by cdemundo
  • Like 1

So what if you still catch covid after having your shots ,we all know it doesnt make you immune ,but it is the difference between having it and dying from it ,so if you dont want the shot ,just shut up and get on with your life ,just like us with underlying health issues want to as well instead of dying.

1 hour ago, Reposed said:

I think mainstream scientists did think the vaccines would do a better job at preventing infections before evidence showed otherwise. But Fauci adjusted his public health messaging when it became clear that prevention of serious cases and death was the credible claim that could be made.

Bottom line is that Faucu is a good guy who has worked very hard to combat the pandemic but he is not nor has he claimed to be a God.