A baby mouse in the school dinner? Netizens comment in droves

webfact

image.jpeg

Picture: Daily News

Daily News reported that netizens were commenting in large numbers after a post by someone whose friend found a suspicious item in a school cafeteria lunch. 

The diner had nearly finished their meal when they came across what most people thought was probably a baby mouse or rat. 

Some netizens joked it looked a bit like a sausage and could easily have been eaten.

The media said it was the latest find in food to make anyone bring up their dinner. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-07-04

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Easiest way to own or rent a car in Thailand - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 3

10 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

Duck.

I once saw the half&half baby chicken & egg variety eaten by people right next to me. My appetite was gone... I'm sure there is also half duck & egg. Is baby mouse perhaps a delicacy in parts of the Northeast? I wouldn't bet against it.

Edited by StayinThailand2much

12 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

I once saw the half&half baby chicken & egg variety eaten by people right next to me. My appetite was gone... I'm sure there is also half duck & egg. Is baby mouse perhaps a delicacy in parts of the Northeast? I wouldn't bet against it.

Common delicacy in the Philippines called Balut. They wander around the streets selling them to the shout of ' Balut ' ......which is short and to the point.

208 Balut Images, Stock Photos & Vectors | Shutterstock

A Nation of Smiling Faces - TUDLA

Edited by Denim
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

Forget the mouse for a minute, can anyone recognise what Thai dish the meal is supposed to be. To my eyes it look like chopped fried cockroaches, with crab shell, and ant eggs.

Something tells me the Children's meal allowance for the school is being diverted to other things........:whistling:

The kids are supposed to pay only 20 baht or so for their school lunch. With rising food costs, I can imagine that sellers cut costs and just sell "dirt" (or the lowest quality of food they can get) to the them...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Reposed said:

The mouse lends little to the dish, but the droppings and the urine, they are full of delicious umami!

Still, the seller may have had a split second, when she pondered to charge an extra 10 baht for "some pork"...

• Like 1

What's the big deal?

Pork intestines and congealed pork blood "cubes", grilled lizards, insects in any form and description, steamed "maengdar", skewered tarantulas, morning glory straight from the cesspool, jellyfish and sea cucumbers, half raw cockles, duck fetuses in their eggshells, "dancing" shrimps, ant eggs, snake blood, fermented fish, fermented rice paddy crabs, dried squid and octopus, dog and cat meat in the upper northeast. And yes, even grilled or fried baby mice and rats are served in quite a few Thai regions. 

• Like 1

I thought rat, or rodent,  is a Thai staple in their diet.  I see you tube videos, and have seen them in person prepare and eat rat.  They could care less if its a vector animal.  They could care less that COVID is said to come from eating bats, and a rat is the same as a bat without wings.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, WEBBYB808 said:

I thought rat, or rodent,  is a Thai staple in their diet.  I see you tube videos, and have seen them in person prepare and eat rat.  They could care less if its a vector animal.  They could care less that COVID is said to come from eating bats, and a rat is the same as a bat without wings.

d7c039271687ad3d05d79f6737369cbb.jpg

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Forget the mouse for a minute, can anyone recognise what Thai dish the meal is supposed to be. To my eyes it look like chopped fried cockroaches, with crab shell, and ant eggs.

Something tells me the Children's meal allowance for the school is being diverted to other things........:whistling:

I have no idea how Thai food got its reputation. A lot of it is deep fried, and much of it is based on Chinese or Indian cuisine. One time in a restaurant the food I was given was so filled with chilies that it completely killed the taste of anything on the plate.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Is that the food kids get in school to eat??  Thai food is good food, but this is......... not worth eating it...Give decent food made by a decent cook . It is important for kids to have a good meal maybe it is the only good meal they can have as some kids are very poor...

Kids (parents) have to pay for there children's lunches.  It isn't free. 

Usually the money is squandered and the kids get old rice and rotten vegetables. 

.....Or in this case baby mouse parts. 

Edited by MrJ2U

4 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

What's a netizen? 

You are a netizen along with most people on this forum and other communities

The term netizen is a portmanteau of the English words internet and citizen, as in a "citizen of the net" or "net citizen". It describes a person actively involved in online communities or the Internet in general.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netizen