Tourism ministry dual pricing proposal for hotel rates

webfact

It`s all about to say to the western countries:

Thank you for helping out when we had the Tsunami,

when we needed help to save the cave boys, and let us

not forget the millions of covid shots that were sent to us, to

fight the pandemic, free of charge. We did appreciate it a lot,

but now it is business as usual.

Their memory bank is nowhere to be found, mainly because

they don`t have anything between their ears except vacuum.

Live with it.

Cheers!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sandyf said:

Choices are getting limited, over 40 countries have tourist tax, some here in Asia.

Scotland and Wales have tourist tax proposals in the pipeline, way of the world, not just Thailand.

I won't put up with this dual pricing BS anymore.

No way. They take that decision and I'm out.

Period.

11 hours ago, ardsong said:

bye, bye baron, hope You live up to your promise and will not disturb me (and others) with your posts any more; like many of the other said-"would-leavers" have not left, broken their promise and are still bothering me. 

Whether I bother you or not is the least of my concerns in life ???? I'm a free man and will do exactly what I want whenever I feel like it. Your opinion is irrelevant.

Edited by Baron Samedi

This won't help the local people on the ground, it will just make the hotel owners richer. They won't be increasing the workers wages due to extra profit. I'd love to see a list of the hotel owners and wouldn't be one bit surprised to see some familiar names 

• Like 1

Won't fly with the big chains. This is a great way to upset regular and corporate customers who stay in your hotels worldwide.

For all those flocking back to the UK, I need to be in Southampton next Friday and these are the prices I'm looking at.

Screenshot 2022-07-05 142046 h.jpg

Yes this is typical Thai thinking. In the past when I travelled with my Thai family, I stayed  out of 

sight while they paid the Thai price of the Motel or guest house for the night. It was always

lower than the tourist price. I am not surprised.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NanLaew said:

No. No they should not. If you want local treatment, get naturalized as a Thai citizen.

That is a valid opinion NanLaew. It is however an apples to oranges comparison to my blighted homeland (US) where naturalization is a matter of routine after "living in US legally" for 7-10 years and every local discount and right afforded with just a drivers license.

Naturalization even PR is a pipe dream for most expats in Thailand.

We wont see any major international hotel chains offering these racist accommodation tariffs masquerading as reasonable and appropriate Nationalism. They would look ridiculous and violate their corporate mission statements. 

Edited by Captain Monday
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, anchadian said:

How will this work with foreign tourists who need a hotel would have to book on Agoda or Booking.com?  Will the hotel rates be adjusted?

Those in country, as pointed out earlier, would only need a Thai name to book.

It appears to me that this idiotic plan will be directed to only telephone calls to the hotel.  

That was my initial thought , there is no way the booking sites will play along with dual pricing. 

52 minutes ago, garyk said:

Like what?

Like what? What's not to like? Foreigners living here have a great life, even the ones who complain about absaloutly everything can't bring themselves to leave,theres no where else like Thailand buddy ????????

• Like 1

On 7/7/2022 at 3:47 AM, webfact said:

planning to raise hotel rates to pre-pandemic levels to support a faster recovery of the industry.

Yeh i'm sure that'll work. will the Chinese be classed as foreigners too or do they get family rates. :unsure:.

Edited by metisdead
Trolling video removed.

19 hours ago, goatfarmer said:

Great click bait. Remarkable how many punters, ignorant of basic market principles, fell for it. There is no way this is going to happen. The market is too free and the hoteliers are too clever to implement such a silly scheme.

I think you misunderstand the term 'click bait' (which can get you suspended from posting on this site by the way - read the rules). The report is based on what someone said. The fact that what is proposed hasn't a chance in hell of being implemented - as the government does not control hotel room rates - doesn't mean it is click bait. It means the person who proposed it is an idiot who has no idea what he is talking about.  

17 hours ago, ThailandGuy said:

This is doing more harm to Thailands Tourism then one can imagine.

And it came from those whose job it is to boost tourism! I've lived here for 26 years and still don't understand the way Thai minds work. They seem to live in a parallel universe, or a through the looking glass Alice in Wonderland world where everything is reversed.

How many Thais are in top jobs overseas? Hmm? I wonder why. They have no grounding in reality.

3 hours ago, garyk said:

For the life of me I cannot understand why anyone would want to go to Thailand?  

What you mean is ‘because I don’t want to go to Thailand why doesn’t everyone else ,even with totally different circumstances,share that identical view". ???? 

18 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

And it came from those whose job it is to boost tourism! I've lived here for 26 years and still don't understand the way Thai minds work. They seem to live in a parallel universe, or a through the looking glass Alice in Wonderland world where everything is reversed.

How many Thais are in top jobs overseas? Hmm? I wonder why. They have no grounding in reality.

The answer is because Thailand is not really a meritocracy (especially in government positions),the education system falls woefully short (PISA EDUCATIONAL TABLES) and social conditioning disincentivises critical thinking. 
I have a Thai stepdaughter with A levels in Maths and English and a first class honours in Business Economics from a good university and working in a senior e commerce position in U.K. Oh,I should add I brought her to the U.K. at 9 years  old…

So the biggest scam of the lot and coming from the government,make the tourist pay for the locals hotel room. Couple of weeks ago they were talking about getting rid of dual pricing, well as Robin Williams said "Good Morning Vietnam".

18 hours ago, overherebc said:

So if I book a cottage in Wales for two weeks 'self catering' and I pay for it in uk currency with a uk card they will charge me extra because my wife is Thai but grew up in NZ and how will they know that? It will be my name on the booking for 2 people.

Please explain???

The Welsh government will explain in due course.

17 hours ago, overherebc said:

No it isn't. It's a discount for pensioners, (like the bus pass), a discount for students etc.

So in your opinion, and TVF generally,Thai nationals are not getting a discount when entering a tourist attraction.

In Scotland the discounts on buses are for Scottish residents only, isn't that  discrimination, much the same as you say about Thailand.

18 hours ago, overherebc said:

So if I book a cottage in Wales for two weeks 'self catering' and I pay for it in uk currency with a uk card they will charge me extra because my wife is Thai but grew up in NZ and how will they know that? It will be my name on the booking for 2 people.

Please explain???

There are exceptions. Why did you publish this totally void comment.